Author Topic: Got my first deer  (Read 532 times)

Offline iiibbb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Got my first deer
« on: November 14, 2004, 03:21:48 PM »
I went hunting for the first time yesterday. I landed a 4-point deer... 20 minutes after I set up.  By no means a trophy deer, but I figure get the first legal one I saw and put meat in the freezer. It was a 90 yrd shot though thick woods... hit the deer about 2 inches behind the shoulder dead center.  Was using a .308 TC Encore with Federal 180 gr Nosler Partition cartrige.

Hunting from the ground... sitting below a basswood at the top of a mountain overlooking a bench.  Covered my scent with racoon urine on a few trees around me.  A second deer passed by about an hour later and passed within a 15 yds of me and never detected me.

I was really worried about not getting a clean shot on one. I've heard a lot of horror stories about people that only wing them and have to chase them for miles before they die.  This one dropped within 15 yds and I think the last 10 of that was it just falling downhill.  So although the rack isn't a trophy, I'm certainly pleased with my shot placement.

My Finn genes are shining through.

Offline AAAJohn

Got my first deer
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 01:54:38 AM »
Way to go iiibbb, you'll always remember your first one.

Offline hillbill

1st deer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 07:34:23 AM »
hey yu had good luk!!! outstanding!!! may not be so easy next time. just remember its about the hunt and not about the killing!

Offline coboconk

Got my first deer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 03:31:11 AM »
I still remember my first deer (a doe). It is a great feeling of a job well done. Happy hunting

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Got my first deer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 10:59:27 AM »
Frst deer(doe)...brings me back 8)  I dont think I will ever forget my first deer...Congrats on your first :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--