Author Topic: getting deer to me: PLEASE help!!!!  (Read 543 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
getting deer to me: PLEASE help!!!!
« on: November 15, 2004, 09:23:18 AM »
i'm going to go on a state hunt on a national park for deer management and they want us to shoot two antlerless deer(bucks are leagal to shoot but they rather us shoot does). you can not scout before the the hunt but they said the place is loaded with tracks. the area i'm hunting is 51 acres all to my self. they have picked a spot for me to sit that day. my question is, since i'm here to hunt does will a fawn in distress bleat be good for the does to come check it out???. the call i have is called a hardwoods fawn bleat. the way i blow it is i do 3-5,  4 second bleats. wil this get a does attention ???????PLEASE HELP. this is probley the only time i get to go hunting this year so i wan't to make as much as i can of it.THANKS for ALL the info!!!!! :P
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 03:16:27 PM »
y0ur best bet is to find a nice place you can watch over some trails, forget the calls for does.  this time of year, they are being harassed by bucks and you making ANY noise will likely send them the other way.   patience.

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 06:34:31 PM »
Your best bet on such a hunt is to sit down, stay still and stay quiet and be alert at all times. A mesh net camo blind or some such might help but if you're still and quiet the deer will likely come if they are going to thru your small area.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
how to find deer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 07:28:53 AM »
i agree with graybeard, sit still and they will come. its only 50 acres, if yu walk around and stink it up they will evacuate.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 08:56:09 AM »
:D Sitting tight is probably the best bet. Try to get in a spot where you can see as good as posible. If you should shoot a doe the call may help you call the fawns back. A friend of mine has called fawns back several times with a bleat call. I don't suggest using it unless you want to shoot the fawn also. A call will sometimes stop a deer so you can get a standing shot.
A comfortable chair or treestand might be more useful if it helps you sit still and quiet all day.