Author Topic: Bad Scope?? (Nikon)  (Read 902 times)

Offline goose7856

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Bad Scope?? (Nikon)
« on: November 15, 2004, 03:26:37 PM »
well, as many of you know, I bought a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 AO, and today I went to sight it in........well, it didnt seem to work to well......

I finally got one or two right in the area I wanted, so I just stopped folling with it.....by the end of the day, I had shot 15 rounds, and 11 at 100 yards....I would say all 11 shots were in a 5in x 5in  box or 5 in' circle.......

the problem came when we kept adjusting the scope, and it would move about TWICE as much as we wanted........we we moved it 14 clicks, which should have been 3 1/2 inches (1/4 of minute per click), but when I took the next two shots, it had moved 6 INCHES!! It seemed to do this alot.....always moved about 1 1/2 times as much as we wanted it to......normally I am not a bad shot at all, although I did feel myself pull one shot, and shot again, but I seemed to be shooting right at the center.......

Do I have a bad scope??

I just couldnt get over it how the clicks didnt seem to move the scope an exact amount.....it says 1/4 of a minute on the top of the adjustments, but is there any way it could accidentally be 1/2 min. or 1/8 min??

Onw of the sherrif's was helping me with the sight in, and we really couldnt figure it out......bu the end of the day.......I had a cluster of about 4 shots DIRECTLY on the center of the target, but 3 inches high......They were all so close they made a clover leaf pattern, but the thing is, I DIDNT WANT IT TO SHOOT THERE.....we finally got the windage (right and left) correct, and had a shot that was 1 inch low, and 1 in left, so we moved it (dont remember exact clicks), but it was dead on the windage, but again added another shot to the 3 inch high cluster......we finally moved it down two clicks, and it was an 1.5-2 inches high......right where I wanted it.......

But when we made the final adjustements, it should have moved it down about 1/2 inch, and it moved it down about 1.5!!

We couldnt figure it out!!

Now some of that could be human error, but NOT that much, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch but not an inch or so......does anyone know what could be wrong......Its too late to send the scope back to Nikon, but I will sight it in when I go hunt this weekend, and makesure it is still on, but this is just apalling.......

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Thanx, hope to hear from you soon!!
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Bad Scope?? (Nikon)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 09:02:18 AM »
I'd say you have reason to return it, I put a Nikon Prostaff on my 270 last year and was impressed with the precise and repeatable windage and elevation adjustments. In fact I shot the "Square" with it and got what I wanted with it. I sighted in at 6X and point of impact is the same at both 3 and 9 power.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
Bad Scope?? (Nikon)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 10:51:55 AM »
all of my sighting in was done on 12x power, and I used three sand bags, so the rest was very steady.......I really cant return it now, since the season is right around the corner, but as long as it stays right on, POI wise, then I can deal with the adjustements being messed up for this year.....BUT I dont think that is accpetable for the product to be doing that....Right after Christman (last time I hunt), I may send it in, to get it looked at.....If they do find out the scope was "messed up" from the begining, do they allow you to pay extra, and upgrade to a high priced BNIB scope, or must that be done through a dealer??

Thanx for the help!!

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Bad Scope?? (Nikon)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 12:19:32 PM »
I had a set of rings that were defective, wouldn't lock down on the bases no matter how hard you tightened the screws and when I changed power from say 2 to 7 the rings would rock and radically change impact. Before I sent it back I would give the rifle, mounts and scope a thorough going over. It is advisable to sight in at the middle power on the scope to reduce impact cahnge when the power is adjusted.  You can get a scope with problems from any maker no matter what you pay for it.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
Bad Scope?? (Nikon)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 07:32:40 AM »
well got back a few days ago and bagged two nice does, and the scope stayed on perfectly. I thought I had knocked it off trying to track one of the two does, but shot it once and it was dead on. So maybe in the off season I will get it looked at, but for now it did its job perfectly!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Bad Scope?? (Nikon)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 07:43:14 AM »
Hey, Congrats! :D
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
Bad Scope?? (Nikon)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 11:44:35 AM »
quickdoo- when did you become a moderator??!! Good luck, and thanx :D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Bad Scope?? (Nikon)
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 11:57:19 AM »
Just helpin out while Nightrain52 is recooperating. :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Zachary

Bad Scope?? (Nikon)
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 12:30:38 PM »
Just a quick note on the Nikon Buckmasters - they are apparently the pre-monarch series which are still excellent scopes, just with less light transmission than the newer monarch series.  Glad to hear you got your does with it.

Zachary

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
Bad Scope?? (Nikon)
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 12:37:38 PM »
real quick question......which would you prefer, a Nikon Buckmaster, or a Burris Fullfield II??

I am looking into buying a muzzle loader, and want to make sure I get a good scope, not a POS......I have seen the Burris 4.5-14x42 AO go on ebay for $200, as well as, the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 AO.......

It may not be the perfect muzzleloader scope, but I can set it on the lower powers and it will suit me fine......but first, the scope will be going on a .22 (b/f I can buy the muzzleloader)......so would the parralex be a problem?? I think the Burris focuses lower than the BM, but im not sure......after I put the scope on a muzzle loader, then I will buy a cheaper scope for the .22......

so which would it be, the buckmaster or the fullfield II.......I am really considering the FFII because I really want to try out the Ballistic Plex, and it comes at a very reasonable price....

TIA