Author Topic: Fixed sights?  (Read 411 times)

Offline Billybob

• Trade Count: (0)
Fixed sights?
« on: November 19, 2004, 01:59:42 PM »
I just picked up a Smith & Wesson .40 model 4006 that was a police pistol that was never issued to anyone.
The gun shoots and groups well but always shoots low. Unfortunately the sights only have windage adjustment. Is there anything I can do to the fixed sights to bring the groups up or would I be better off just switching to adjustable sights?

Offline KN

Fixed sights?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 03:28:24 PM »
If possible you could try shooting a heavier bullet. Light bullets will generally print lower than heavier ones. Or a shorter front sight will correct this if one is available.  KN

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Fixed sights?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 05:54:15 AM »
Most 40's that I know of were regulated for the 180-grain bullet, the standard "Police Issue" load at 985 fps.  My 40 Witness also shoots low, even with 200-grain pin loads.  I'm probably going to put adjustable sights on it, but then again, I've said that for the last 13 years!  :roll:   Maybe I'll just file the front sight down and be done with it!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Fixed sights?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 10:29:26 AM »
I have a friend who refuses to shoot the 'standard' bullet wt for the caliber. (ie 180/.40 s&w or 230/.45 acp)  In his .45's, he always used 165 grain bullet because of the 'great energy figures'.  But complains that he always has to change to adjustable sights to zero his load.  I told him the sights we regulated for 230 gr bullets and the .45 relys on mass and diameter, but he get's sucked in with lighter, faster, high energy figures.  If he would just pick a good H.P. 230 gr load, it would be more pleasant to shoot, would shoot to the sights, and do the job just as intended.  If that is the load you intend to shoot forever, get the file out!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!