Author Topic: Resolving 22cal holes...?  (Read 455 times)

TM7

Resolving 22cal holes...?
« on: November 20, 2004, 08:02:55 AM »
I have a cheap 6-32x rifle scope that will discern 22cal holes at fifty yards.
It will discern 30cal holes at one hundred yards.
Generally speaking, what does a shooter need to discern 22cal holes at two hundred yards? Of course, I understand lense quality/coatings, etc. affect accuity and resolving power. Any advice welcome.

.................TM7

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 09:56:32 AM »
Lens quality is really what is the determining factor with .22 holes at 200 yards. You absolutely MUST have the best of glass and coatings to do it. My Bushnell Elite 20-60x80MM will. It's the ONLY spotting scope I've owned or looked thru that will. Some really top of the line varmint/target rifle scopes will at about 18X-20X but only the best of them will.

If you spend less than $500 on a spotting scope it's highly unlikely it will work for that need.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BR

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 01:04:41 AM »
Backwoods range trick: Use a section of white plastic garbage bag as a target backer behind your target. The plastic will partly spring back after the bullet passes through, creating a white area in the bullet hole. This shows up well in a black bullseye, and is some help in a manilla colored outer area.