Author Topic: Bushnell Elite- shooting in a driving rain  (Read 1221 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Bushnell Elite- shooting in a driving rain
« on: January 27, 2003, 08:56:50 AM »
How good is the rainshield feature? Good enough for a clear shot in heavy rain with scope covers removed? I live in Oregon so this is more than an idle question. If it works as well as Rain-X treatment on car windshields, it is well worth the money to me. Matter of fact, it will end my search for a new scope for my '06.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 09:52:55 AM »
I'm not quite sure I understood you post.  So 1) did you use it in "driving" rain? or 2) are you planning on buying it because you anticipate using it in "driving" rain?  I think you mean the second, but I just want to make sure.

In any event, I don't advocate shooting in heavy rains because it can affect the bullets point of impact by several inches.  I once saw a 150 grain .270 Winchester bullet drop an EXTRA 6 inches at 100 yards because the rain droplets forced the bullet downward.

On the other hand, if you must take that kind of a shot, then it would be comforting to know that you could at least see it with the rainguard.

Zachary

Offline Robert

Im in Oregon too and....
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 04:08:22 PM »
...you better darned well be prepared for rain or shine...either that or go home with the wimps.  I have the Elite, but havent had the oppurtunity to give it a hard-core test.
....make it count

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
What I meant
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 04:15:08 PM »
Our blacktail hunting is best after the rains have begun - trees drop their leaves so visibility is better, walking is quieter, usually some winds are blowing that help muffle sound and the bucks are going into rut. Oh yeah, and it is rainy and wet. I'm sure your advice about shooting under such conditions is right, but hey, this is western Oregon. We have to live with it. It's like antelope hunting in Wyoming - nobody wants to take shots at 300 yards with a 10 mph crosswind, but that's the nature of the beast. What I'd like to know is does enough water bead up and roll off those optics to allow a decent shot under those conditions? If it does, I'm buying one of those scopes.

Offline Robert

Hold on....
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 06:09:50 PM »
I'll go put my scope in the sink.
....make it count

Offline Robert

Well it might sound stupid, but that's exactly what I did...
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 06:32:46 PM »
...the rain has finally slowed down a little here tonight, so I ran each end under the sink....(you owe me for this one, took the scope off my barrel and now I will have to resight it)....  A couple of beads stuck near the recticle, but otherwise pretty clear....but the real test.......hold on...I just stuck it in my freezer ( you really owe me now), I can't beleive I am doing this with a 269 dollar scope.  Give me a few minutes and I am going to take it out and put it up near my face and see if it fogs up...if that works, I will breathe on it and see how that works..........waiting....
Ok...it fogged up for just a second, but cleared up very fast without having to wipe the lenses, but that is pretty extreme,  First wet, then freeze and then warm air, even though it fogged a little I think I could still see my target.....I better get another beer now and call Bushnell to replace this scope...just kidding (not about the beer though)
It definately passed the test.
....make it count

Offline Zachary

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2003, 03:32:37 AM »
Hey Robert, :D

That's one heck of a test. :-D   Try it with the beer and see what happens. :-D

Seriously though, the Elite 4200s are really great scopes, and the rainguard feature is truly revolutionary. :wink:

Zachary

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
Beyond the call of duty!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2003, 04:02:03 PM »
Thanks, Robert. I'm convinced and I'm gonna buy me one of those scopes. Hope you didn't hurt yours any putting it to the acid test. Flip up scope caps are OK but if it's really raining, optics can get beaded up bad in a hurry. Good hunting to you.