Author Topic: getting in to handgunning  (Read 409 times)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
getting in to handgunning
« on: November 21, 2004, 05:02:28 PM »
I’ve started the process of acquiring my restricted firearms license. It allows me to possess pistols with a barrel length greater than 4 ½ inches and of a caliber greater than .32. It also allows me to get long guns such as the AR-15, M-1 Carbine and CZ-85.

I will get the license around March-April and plan to purchase 2 pistols before summer. One will be a Norinco 1911A1 and the other will be a .22 of some sort. Which one I can’t really decide. Here are the options that local dealers have in stock and that are in my price range.

Ruger MK 2 bull barrel      $ 434.99
Browning Buckmark         $ 406.99
Taurus Tracker         $ 469.99
Taurus Model 94         $ 399.99
Norinco “Woodsman” clone      $ 149.99

I figure since I’ll be shooting a large bore automatic, better to start off with an automatic .22. I also like the look of the revolvers, and it would provide a bit of variety. As for the Norinco, I don’t know if they where available in the US before the embargo was put in place, and I haven’t heard much about them up here. Some of the Norinco pistols are really good and some are really bad. And with the North American made models, I can get factory service and parts, not so with the Chinese clone. Are there any quirks or issues with the models listed that would affect my decision? I know Greybeard has had issues with Taurus in the past.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Van/TX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 10:11:40 AM »
That's great!!

God Bless America  :D .....Van
USAF Ret (1966 - 1988)

Offline Iowegan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 03:20:02 PM »
You're off to a good start! I would add another 22 to your list of posibilities. Take a look at the Beretta Neos. I just bought one a few weeks ago and I'm very impressed with the value / quality. The Neos is sold in several barrel lengths and colors. I bought the stainless steel 6" Inox with the black frame. It comes with nice sights and a Weaver type base for scopes / red dots. It shoots some very tight groups and functions perfect.

The only gun you listed that I would not recommend is the Norinco. I have worked on several of the 1911 clones and found quality was very poor. You might get lucky and get one that works. The metal is very soft and parts are not up to par for function or longivity. The North American Norincos are assembled here but all parts are made in China.

Put a few bucks with it and get something that will work out-of-the-box and last for many years such as a Ruger P series.
GLB

Offline Doc TH

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 03:44:25 PM »
Kevin:
I suggest you go with the Ruger.  I have had one or another for almost 40 yrs.  They are very reliable anc accurate.  My son has a Browning; it is OK, but I don't like the fact that you need tools to disassemble it.  The other makes you mentioned are not of the same quality.

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 05:03:48 PM »
Iowegan, how old where the Norc 1911's you worked on? in the 80's they where poor quality and the steel was improperly heat treated. same problem existed with the M-14 clones and they got a bad rep fast. because of the embargo you guys haven't been able to get new ones for a while now, but here in Canada they are still dirt cheap. i know many guys who own new oes and have no complaints, dan wilson said that the new ones are suitable as a platform for his competition .45's. one thing that most guys up here do is swap out a few parts that are trouble prone and drop in a Colt made barrel. even after that it's still cheaper than a SA or a Kimber.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"