Author Topic: I just got sticker shocked  (Read 822 times)

Offline tedfl

• Trade Count: (0)
I just got sticker shocked
« on: November 23, 2004, 04:32:19 AM »
Out range does not have a silhouette range, so I have been shooting at swinging targets that I made by altering cast steel targets that I get from Ray Schafer. (I drill a hole in the body and hang them on a bracket). After a while the legs on the ram and chicken will break off.
I thought I would order one each of the chicken, pig, turkey and ram in T1 steel from All Metal Supply, Inc in California. There web site says the price would be about $78.00 plus shipping. When I inquired about shipping, I was told the price of steel went up and that one each of the chicken, pig, turkey and ram in T1 steel would now cost $150.00.
Does anybody know where I could buy steel plate targets at a more reasonable price?

Tedfl

Offline ppk1

swing targets
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 07:14:04 AM »
tedfl,
What are you trying to accomplish with the swingers? Practice or just the joy of hitting them.
1. Are you placing them at the proper distance for each animal?
2. How much of a swing are you giving them? To small a distance from the pivot could greatly increase your impact force. Don't forget these animals are supposed to fly away with impact.
3. If you just want to practice try the round targets readily available.
Interested to hear more on your usage.

Offline chunter

• Avid Poster
    • http://cc.usu.edu/~chunter/shooting.htm
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 07:35:51 AM »
If you have any buddy's that work with servers or computers.. Most of the old servers had steel mounting hardware.  I don't what type the steel is, but I know it is capable of withstanding repeated impacts of the .22.  The mounting hardware are about 1/2 thick, in 2x2 squares.

Just another option to get cheap metal.

Offline Princeton

swingers
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 08:20:10 AM »
Try Grice's Gun Shop in Clearfield Pa for sb sil swingers. There much cheaper than $150.00 Phone 814-765-9273

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 10:10:26 AM »
We are talking smallbore, aren't we? Fellows, who makes the sets that are sold at Winnsboro for $65-70? One of each animal already mounted on a hanging swinger, all heavy steel constructiion.

Offline tedfl

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 04:07:30 AM »
Thanks for the help guys:
I use the swingers for practice, scoring and the joy of hitting them. A few times a year our club has a smallbore silhouette shoot using 1/5 scale targets (we do not have a silhouette practice range). I like to practice and also scoring to check my progress using the same size targets at the correct distances. I made 6 inch long brackets with the various targets attached to one end the other end has a hole in it. The bracket is suspended them from a “U” shaped piece of steel rod with two hairpins in the rod to keep the bracket in the middle. The rod can either be stuck in the ground or hung from a target frame with the animal swing freely. To change targets, I remove one of the hairpins, remove the target, replace with a different animal for the appropriate range and replace the hairpin. I also shoot at paper but the real animal is more fun.
Are the swinger sets that are sold at Winnsboro or at Grice's Gun Shop individual swingers or are all the targets on one bracket? I would be interested in individual targets.
Tedfl

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 06:52:28 AM »
I'm thinking of individual swingers which somebody brings a few sets of to Winnsboro now and then. I've had mine two years and they are great.