Author Topic: Bullet Bumping Up Question  (Read 819 times)

Offline riverjackal

• Trade Count: (0)
Bullet Bumping Up Question
« on: November 23, 2004, 11:46:24 AM »
Allright, a question for the ones that know about stuff like this. Is it possible to bump up a remington .358 200 grain bullet to .379 to use in a 38-55 single shot rifle ?

Fire away and fall back :D

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 05:13:25 PM »
I don't believe you would have a satisfactory bullet by "stretching" the jacketed bullet by that much (.021"). We are talking about a jacketed bullet, correct? I make .377" 265grain jacketed bullets for the 38-55, and those could easily and satisfactorally be bumped up by .002", but the point forming die would be very expensive. Have you miked your bore? While lead bullets .001 or .002 oversize are normally used, jacketed bullets should be as close to bore diameter as possible to prevent fliers or gross overpressure. And those 38-55 barrel bores can be anywhere from .375 to .380".  8)

Offline riverjackal

• Trade Count: (0)
bullet bump
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 02:11:39 AM »
Talon, Thanks for the reply. No, I haven't miked the bore of my 38-55 yet. I just picked it up yesterday. I have been brainstorming I guess one could call it, to find affordable reloadable jacketed bullets. I plan to mike a pulled Winchester 255 grain factory bullet and also shoot a couple boxes to see how they shoot then base my decision on bullet size after that. I will also determine the bore size of my rifle.
 If you make a .377 jacketed bullet for 38-55, I am interested in the details of it.
I am sort of a newbie on this forum, I don't know if you can see my email addy or not to email me, if you don't want to post the info here.
Thanks again

Fire Away And Fall Back

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 05:08:06 AM »
riverjackal, I've sent you a PM. to read it, just click on the line at the top of this page that reads " You have X New Messages".