Author Topic: Would you buy....  (Read 939 times)

Offline 1860

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Would you buy....
« on: November 23, 2004, 01:31:33 PM »
A cap n ball revolver that was made to safely shoot smokless powder?

Why or why not?

Thanks

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
Would you buy....
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 06:06:00 AM »
HUH?  which one are you talking about?  the only one I know of that was proffed using smokless is the Ruger old army, and it's not recomended for smokless, it was just a test to see how strong it was.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Shorty

Would you buy....
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 09:04:43 AM »
'Can't be done.  It's not the strength of the gun at issue, it's the fact that the breech is sealed only by a foil cap and the hammer resting on it.  That's why the main spring on C&B revolvers seems inordinately strong.  In other words, a high pressure, smokeless load would blow back the hammer and...where's your aiming eye?    :wink:

Offline Bigdog57

• Avid Poster
Would you buy....
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 09:20:36 AM »
Nah, it just wouldn't be the same.  Might as well just put a conversion cyclinder in it, and use cartridges . . .  :(

I like the feel, the smoke, and the 'ambience' of BP - it really gives a different experience from my newer-technology handguns.

Offline Ramrod

Would you buy....
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 10:20:14 AM »
I definitely would not. But I think such a contraption would sell really well IF there were a special cap-n-ball hunting season. Alot of cheaters would want to take advantage of the extra tag, even though they don't know "jack" about old guns. If it shoots sabots at high velocity, so much the better!  :wink:
:biggun:
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline 1860

• Avid Poster
Would you buy....
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 11:46:58 AM »
Don't think for a minute that it could not be done.  Some sort of fireing pin arangement like the RichardMason Conversions had and a solid top frame, a cylinder that could take 209 primers.  I only gave it a minutes thought and came up with that, someone who knows what they are doing could do alot better.  And Ramrod came up with Sabots, what was I thinking when I didn't include them :oops:  :-D .  Adjustable sights and maybe a dove tail for Weaver scope mounts on the top of the bbl.  What more could anyone want???

I was just wondering if anyone would go for such a thing if it could be done.

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
Would you buy....
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
Yeh! Yeh! and, and, and we could add a laser too and, and a.....
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Would you buy....
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 02:41:45 PM »
....and if we took the powder and stuffed it into some sort of little can shaped thing--maybe made out of copper or brass-- and then plugged an elongated projectile into the open end and found a way to stick the percussion cap into the other end and bored the cylinder all the way through and then......
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline 1860

• Avid Poster
Would you buy....
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 11:13:38 PM »
Now just a cotton-pickin minute there Filmokentucky, those brass things you are talking about would ruin the spirit of the game.  But I see no reason why we couldn't have smokless powder pellets, who wants to mess around and measure the stuff :roll:  :wink: .

I loved the Laser idea, and don't forget the little rail that holds the mini-mag flashlight for tactical situations.

We have forgotten one thing???  Hint, it has to do with a famous line from the movie "The Graduate".  No modern C&B revolver would be complete without it/them....anyone?

Offline Ramrod

Would you buy....
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 11:36:04 PM »
Plastic![/size]
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline 1860

• Avid Poster
Would you buy....
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 11:47:50 PM »
Good morning there Ramrod you're up early this fine day!

And what very important use could we make of this wonder product called PLASTIC.."Think plastics my boy"...

Happy Thanksgiving to all and please remember our troops when you say grace over your meal..

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Would you buy....
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 05:11:48 AM »
Hey, '60 and everyone else, too! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
High pressure in a cap & ball revolver
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 11:37:54 AM »
If the high pressure produced by smokeless would blow the hammer back, why not adjust it to the point where it would just cock the revolver and we could go full auto?

Of course we would have to keep quite about this or the anti-gunners would be all over us like flies on what the dog left in the back yard.