Author Topic: 6 BR???  (Read 894 times)

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
6 BR???
« on: November 25, 2004, 05:28:07 AM »
After reaing the article in PS about the fellow building up a Hunter class Highpower rifle in 6 BR, I have a question. The rule says factory cartridge, right? Well, for the life of me I can't think of a production gun ever made in 6 BR, or any ammo made by anybody in it either. I know you can buy Lapua brass in that caliber, but not loaded ammo as far as I know. So, what makes it legal for Hunter class?
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline drover

• Trade Count: (0)
6 BR???
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 07:27:10 AM »
I would not bet the farm on this answer but I believe that Ruger chambered a model 77 bolt gun in it.  I believe that it was an attempt at a target model I can't recall the nomenclature of it but it had a rather heavy, bulky laminated stock, a varmint contour barrel and a 2 stage trigger.  Perhaps someone else can recall more details of it.

In talks with Greg Conner, silhouette director of the NRA, about a similar subject, in that case the 7 TCU, he told me that "if it was available as a factory cartridge than in his opinion it was legal for hunter class".  Personally I think that any cartridge should be legal for hunter class. After all, can't you hunt with any cartridge?

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
6 BR???
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 03:21:16 AM »
The only factory rifles made in 6br and 22br was the Rem 40x.  Rem made an xp in 7br and tried a rifle in that caliber in the model 7 from the custom shop.  I'm not sure id Cooper makes a rifle in 6br but would be a single shot.  Ruger made some rifles in 6PPC and 22PPC.  I thing the 6br is losing alittle ground to Tubbs 6X(22-250 case).  I'm not up on high rules so cann't answer that question.

Offline Arizona Jake

• Contributor
6 BR???
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 05:10:04 AM »
Nobade:

I hope you are not seriously thinking about competing with a 6mm BR, unless you are shooting 30 round matches where no rams are used. I know al least 3 folks who have gone to the 6 BR and engage in very colorful language every time the shoot at rams. If you must go minimal, go with the 6.5mm BR. You will still lose a few rams, but you will down a lot more. :cb2:
Joaquin B.:cb2:

Offline tirador

6 BR???
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 11:25:20 AM »
Nobade, the Hunter rifle rule does not say that production guns had to be chambered to factory cartridges, only that rifles used for Hunter class must have a factory cartridge chamber.  Both the 6 and 7 BR cartridges qualify to be used on Hunter class because at one time Remington sold factory ammo for both, which I have seen.   In my opinion both cartridges are marginal for shooting rams at 500 meters with the 7mm BR being the better of the two.

In the not too far future you are going to see Hunter class rifles chambered in a new factory cartridge called 6.5 Grendel.  The 6.5 Grendel is based on the PPC case and the capacity of it is around 35 gr of water.   Not as good as the .260 Rem but in my opinion better than both 6 and 7 BR.  

My friend Dennis Ostler who likes to play a lot with “Mouse Guns” is putting one together and is going to let me break it in and develop loads for it.   In a couple of months I will let you all know how I like it.  I should tell you that the rifle Dennis is using for the project was chambered first for the 7 BR and second for the 6 BR and he found them both lacking sufficient knock down power at the ram line and that is the reason he is going to try the 6.5 Grendel now.

For those of you that find this tread worthwhile here is a link to the 6.5 Grendel Fan Home Page.
http://www.65grendel.com/
Disabled for TOS violation. Earthlink SPAM Blocker

Offline drover

6 BR???
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 07:35:37 AM »
While we are on the subject of "odd" cartridges let me ask this question.  Has anyone ever seen a factory loaded 7 TCU?  There were rifles chambered for it,it is not what I would consider a silhouette rifle but Thompson Center chambered it in their carbine.  However referring to my previous post and Tirador's post it would seem as though the determining criteria seems to be if it was ever loaded as a factory cartridge offering rather than a rifle ever being chambered for it.

I have a friend who had a 700 sporter built in 7 TCU and while it is marginal on rams it certainly is fun to shoot.  He would like to give it a try this season but does not want to compete with an "illegal" rifle.

If someone has seen a commercially loaded 7 TCU or can direct me to a site where it refers to it I would appreciate the information.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
6 BR???
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 03:29:46 AM »
I think so, but am not positive, that CorBon made some. Might check with them.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline SilhouetteShooter

6 BR???
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 09:50:08 AM »
The 7mm TCU has been used for shooting silhouettes with both rifles and pistols for almost 30 years that I know of, but no factory or company has ever bother to produce the ammunition for this wonderful little cartridge.  

All the other three cartridges mentioned here (6-7 BR and the 6.5 Grendel) have cases with their appropriate stampings available to be purchased, the 7mm TCU on the other hand does not and people have to neck up the .223 case to 7mm and then fire form the brass to the right cartridge dimensions.  

It would be pretty hard to get away with shooting a 7mm TCU in Hunter class until some company like Remington or Alexander Arms would start producing ammunition or until some brass making outfit would start making the brass for it.  I would not think that Corbon would be interested in producing the ammo for the 7mm TCU since the .223 brass needs to be fire formed first.  

Back in the olden days when Elgin Gates was running IHMSA, he had enough influence with the different firearms and brass makers that he had special brass made for cartridges like the 7mm IHMSA and some others based on the same case but I don’t remember if he ever had any made for the 7mm TCU.

I have no problem with people using whatever cartridge they wish to use for Hunter class; I am just stating some facts.