Author Topic: Astra info needed.  (Read 420 times)

Offline Tacoma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Astra info needed.
« on: November 26, 2004, 03:17:32 AM »
Local shop has a  99% Astra A-70 9mm that could be had for $250. I'm pretty much a S&W guy and am partial to revolvers but for some reason , this gun "feels" good to me. Experience and gut feeling says to stear clear of any gun not made by the big names (S&W, colt, ruger, beretta, sig etc), Still, this one seems well made and deciently priced.
Anybody got any experience with this particular gun or Astra quality in general?

p.s.  This would be a 'plinker" for the collection. No desire for a better CCW or different caliber.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Astra info needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 08:10:54 AM »
Astra built good guns.  I have a friend with an A70 in .45? and he loved it.  If a gun "feels good" to you, that is a big plus.  It means it fits you well and therefore you should be able to shoot it well.  Buy it, shoot it, and enjoy it.  It's a well made gun that should last you a lifetime.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Astra info needed.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 02:02:56 PM »
Tacoma - the 44 Man is right - Astra does build good guns.  And, they are a 'big' name, not just on this side of the pond.  

I've had older Astra pistols and loved them - they were a blast.  My younger prother picked up a newer one in 9mm and it was a well made, totally reliable and accurate piece.

My first Astra was the Model 400 in 9mm Largo - what a ball.  Then came the Model 710 - Broomhandle take-off - and Ho-Boy - what a blast.  The newer ones are just as good and most likely better.  Astra is a good name - and as the 44 man said, if it feels good and fits you well then get it and enjoy it.  HTH.  Mikey.