Author Topic: Deer dragging/transport  (Read 893 times)

Offline riddleofsteel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Deer dragging/transport
« on: November 26, 2004, 08:02:12 AM »
After developing a near case of tennis elbow dragging deer this year I pressed one of my kid's plastic sleds into service. We killed a big doe yesterday about 3/4 of a mile into the big woods. I just rolled her onto the plastic sled and tied her down. The next step was the 3/4 mile drag to the road and the truck over trails, logs, and VERY steep hills. At the hills I uncoiled a long rope, attached to the sled and climbed to the top of the hill. Then I pulled the sled up the hill while my son kept tension on the rope that was wrapped once around a tree. Easiest deer transport to date, it was like she was on wheels. The long black plastic sled sold for about $19.95 in a hardware store during our last big snow and is pretty thick plastic. Believe me it will be on my truck from now on during deer season. It make a good drag to transport equipment into the woods as well.
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline Siskiyou

Deer dragging/transport
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 08:23:45 AM »
Good idea.  I hate dragging a deer in the dirt.  If they are far back I cut them up and carry them out on a packframe.

I like your idea and will keep my eye open for one.  Himm wonder if the grandkids would miss their's.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Deer dragging/transport
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 04:32:55 PM »
We have used that method also, but we walk in quite a ways and it is a pain to haul the sled in "just in case".  So for years now we have used deer drags.  It consists of a harnes that goes over each shoulder (like the straps of a backpack) and a nylon rope that you use to tie the deers front legs up around the deers head and then the other end attaches to the harness.  Then you just drag em out.  It carries easy and works well.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
Deer dragging/transport
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 06:03:25 PM »
Several companies make "deer sleighs" that are basically thick sheets of plastic with grommet holes along the side to lace the deer up in them. They also have attachments for the drag rope. I was looking at one in Cabela's catalog that weighs 2.5 lbs. with the rope and just rolls up when not in use. It sells for $19.95 and looks better suited for my use than the kids sled I am using now. The older I get the harder it gets to drag the big ones out in my semi-mountainous hunting property. One thing I have considered is hiding my sled in a central area of the deep woods area for when we need it instead of dragging it in every time.
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
Deer dragging/transport
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 03:27:32 PM »
Another good idea is to use climbers webbing instead of rope.  It distributes the load a lot better on your shoulders and doesn't dig in.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Deer dragging/transport
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 03:46:49 PM »
had to drag a nice  (about 80-90 lb) doe 1/2 mile today  up a hill.
it was very easy for me.
I just walked to the truck got on the ATV and drove back to the doe tied her to it and drove back to the truck.
 :-D  
all and all I had the doe field dressed and on the trailer and back in the woods with in 45 minuets

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
Deer dragging/transport
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 11:39:32 AM »
Yea, I just put the deer on the rear rack of my ATV and drive it out. It certainly pays off to have alot of land of your own.

Offline rickyp

Deer dragging/transport
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 01:04:38 PM »
I would love to see all states allow the use of ATVs on all public land. for hunting and fishing use only. The fishing people and hunters must buy a license and have it registered with the state DNR.
this will let people hunt fortier apart, essayer to fine ( people will normally be with in a few hundred yards of there ATV) if they are lost or hurt, cut down on the heart attacks, and even bring in more money to state DNR by license and registering fees. It would be a win/win for everyone.
I know not everyone will agree.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Deer dragging/transport
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 02:02:55 PM »
You are right, I hate to hear those things in the woods.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Rummer

• Avid Poster
Deer dragging/transport
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 03:05:12 PM »
I bought this contraption at walmart for about $8 called "Glen's deer handle".  Might be able to build one cheaper.

It is essentially about a foot long Rubber handle w/ the ends of a 4'-6' piece of rope attached to each end of the handle.  Simply loop around the neck or antlers and haul away.

I have outgrown being gadget happy, but this is a piece of equipment that I really like.  I store it in the game bag of my vest ( the game bag is also a great place to stick extra layers of clothing when I drag one out).  

John

Offline Medbill

• Avid Poster
Deer dragging/transport
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 03:13:38 PM »
Man do I hate those ATV's, if your older and it helps you get out and hunt then good for you do what ya gotta do.  Its the younger nut jobs racing around the woods to get back to camp for lunch and then back out that make me nuts.  There are ways to avoid a heart attack but they require effort and discipline like eating right, going to the gym and keeping yourself in shape.  Just another example of how lazy we've become.  If you wanna get deep in the country learn how to ride and get a horse.  At least its natural.

Nothing like ruining the tranquility and joy of hunting than the buzz of a few ATV's.

Rant over, fire when ready I have my flame suit on.   :-D

Offline rickyp

Deer dragging/transport
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 03:39:06 PM »
If you wanna get deep in the country learn how to ride and get a horse. At least its natural.

This is not a good way to get in and out of the woods.
You take the horse in the woods tie it up to a tree with no food or water, then no way for it to escape if a predator decides to try and have it for lunch. this would paint a great picture for animal rights nuts

There are ways to avoid a heart attack but they require effort and discipline like eating right, going to the gym and keeping yourself in shape.

This is not always the case heart decease is hereditary as well and self inflicted.
An ATV buzzing by is no worse them a few hunters walking by smoking and talking. deer learn quickly that this is not good, they also learn that an ATV buzzing by is nothing to worry about just as fast.