Author Topic: Battle of the mid-priced scopes.  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Battle of the mid-priced scopes.
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2004, 02:23:23 AM »
I don't knock what ever anyone decides to use. I just know what works for me. Sometimes it is hard to lay down all that hard earned cash. When I first got started hunting 35 years ago, I got what I could afford and that was that. I was laughed at but I still got deer. :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2004, 02:47:13 AM »
Could anyone comment on the quality, or value of a springfield or unertl?  Are these still assembled in the US?  At one time Unertl was a very popular high end scope, but I don't hear much about them any more.  Anyone got one of the new ones?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2004, 04:53:08 AM »
Last I heard the pentax was assembled in the US by Burris, using Pentax glass and proprietary lens coatings.  That may have changed, but I know at one time they were assembled here.  By the way, Leupold wind river line is imported, so not all Leupolds are made in USA.

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2004, 07:25:00 AM »
Boy, what a can of worms.  Guess I will chime in with my 2 cents.
#1. VictorCharlie....you better teach them grandkids to do something besides work in a factory, there soon won't be any in the USA.
#2.  Jon at OpticZone is absolutely right on what he says.  Is it worth $50-$200 more to some folks, yep it is, it is called snob appeal, IMHO.  Some would not be caught dead without that "Gold Ring".
#3.  Leupold, made in the USA.  That is questionable.  Assembled, yes, lens made here, not so sure about that.  Does anyone know for sure, I mean have you seen them making lens here in the USA.  I have looked at a lot of their literature and specs, but nothing being said about the lens.  Now does that make them bad, nope, just over priced.  So if it makes you warm and fuzzy to own a Leupold, far be it from me to tell you not to.  Different strokes for different folks.  I too will pay a bit more for "Made in USA" but that is getting to be a very loose and ambiguous term.  In my opinion if it had not been for foreign competition, we would still be driving 1968 vehicles.  Made in the USA,  I think the only full size pickup made in the USA is the Nissan Titan.  My Dodge...made in Mexico and I think Ford and Chevy are made in Canada.  So just what is "Made in USA" really mean?  As a "consumer" I feel the same as Squeeze.  There, I feel better,  think I will take a nap now. :D
Luke 11:21

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2004, 09:15:25 AM »
Jon at OpticZone is absolutely right on what he says. Is it worth $50-$200 more to some folks, yep it is, it is called snob appeal, IMHO. Some would not be caught dead without that "Gold Ring".

Apparently you didn't read my post. Fresh from boot camp I bought my first deer rifle and scope. Rifle was a Ruger 77 30/06 and the scope was a Leupold 2-7x, the year was 1983 and I was in SE Alaska. That scope and rifle were all I owned for many years, and the scope took everything SE Alaska could throw at it. That did it for me, my next scope was a Leupold.

I could care less about "SNOB" appear. They hold up, are about the lightest in the buisness with about the best eye relief. As stated before scopes aren't for observation, they are for aiming. The lighter, stronger and simplier are what wins.

I have tried other brands, I have bought and sold 2 Elites (not enough eye relief), Nikons, Bushnells, Weaver, Burris and Pentax. I still have an use other brands for specific uses. But for a day in day out, I need to depend on it scope, it has been and will continue to be Leupold.

How's that for "SNOB" appeal..................
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2004, 11:12:11 AM »
Quote from: Donaldo
#2.  Jon at OpticZone is absolutely right on what he says.  Is it worth $50-$200 more to some folks, yep it is, it is called snob appeal, IMHO.  Some would not be caught dead without that "Gold Ring".:D

I would like to clarify that I never said the entire quote above, especially the "snob appeal". :shock:
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2004, 08:02:58 PM »
Optic Zone,

Yes John, I am aware of that. But thanks for the chuckle, that post makes me believe there may well be some politician in ya..........NO OFFENSE. :lol:

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2004, 08:27:03 PM »
Maybe the shoe fits and maybe it don't......only you know for sure.  Edit:  It is good to see a distributor of scopes speak his mind about the Leupold.  And I did not intend to infer that Jon said anything about snob appeal, that was just a run on sentence.  I just happen to know too many people that never even consider another brand other than Leupold, haven't looked at another brand in 30 years.  And that is a fact.  I am just saying they seem to me to be resting on their well earned reputation from years ago.  The competition has caught up, and is less expensive.  Sure the Leupold is a good scope, maybe a great scope......but it sure ain't the only one anymore.  And I still suspect their lens are made in Japan, which again don't mean anything, in and of itself.  I just think this "Made in USA" is getting a little thin.

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2004, 03:28:40 AM »
And that is a fact. I am just saying they seem to me to be resting on their well earned reputation from years ago

I would too. I guess I should stop using those silly Nosler Partitions. We have more bullets and more scopes today, but the old and faithful keep doing it, and really didn't need much if any modification. Same with cartridges and rifles.

I will stick with my experience and there reputation when I hunt with a 98 Mauser in 7x57 shooting Nolser Partitons and wearing a Leupold scope.........your mileage may vary.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2004, 05:12:31 AM »
It is interesting how I have heard from some people that they want (or perhaps NEED) a leupold because they will be going on a hunt of a lifetime a million miles away and apparently the Leupold will assure them success. :)  

Let me tell you, there are Leupold fans out there that are so loyal that nothing will ever change their mind, and that's fine.  The same goes for Elite 4200s owners and Nikon owners as well.  However, I have used all three for MANY years and can honestly say that, while Leupolds (at least the Vari-X III lines, and apparently now the new VX-III line) are indeed great scopes, they are, in my opinion, over priced, and part of the reason that they are over priced is because Leupold does a GREAT job at marketing and advertising.  

Truth be told, if a Leupold VX-III was the same price as an Elite 4200, then I still might buy the Elite 4200 because it has rainguard.  Then again, the Leupolds are generally shorter and lighter, and have longer eye relief, so I might buy the Leupold.  BUT, for an extra $100 to $200 I honestly can't see the reason to buy a Leupold because the Elite 4200s are just as good, if not better.

Again, I say this as an owner of MANY Leupolds, Bushnell Elites, and Nikon Monarchs, so I have no incentive to push for one brand over the other.

Zachary

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2004, 05:13:05 AM »
Donaldo, couldn't agree with you more.  On the other hand, for those who have been hunting many years, I can understand not wanting to "switch" from what has worked in the past.  If it works it works.  However, for those wanting options and alternatives they need to know what the options are, and there are many better values out there than Leupold as mentioned previously.  I am usually looking for the best bang for the buck when I make a purchase, and Leupold may wake up one day and see they have lost market share because they are too expensive for product received (on the other hand business may be booming for them, and if so more power to them),  Competition is what makes the world go 'round and the consumer always wins in this situation.

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2004, 02:12:28 PM »
Zach,
You just said it better than I did.  All things being equal (which they seldom are), I think across the board the Leupold is about $200 higher than their competition.  Some say, yeah but their warranty is so good.....what do you think that extra $200 is for......all them purty pictures? :)

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2004, 02:23:02 PM »
Another thing....I just love these long threads.....Ain't gonna change anyones mind...everyone is just as hard headed as I am.  But ain't it fun arguing the merits of one over the other.  As for me,  I just punch paper targets these days, and just shoot on days, when it is not raining, not blowing 50 mph, not real cold, not real hot.  So why would I need one of them geewhizbangsuperwindwaterfogproof scopes for?  It just gets carried from the pickup to the range and back.  Sure if I was going to Alaska to hunt, I still would not have a Leupold, it would be an Elite 4200, PLUS I would have a back up gun and back up scope, maybe two backup scopes.  I carried an old Weaver K4 on many Colo hunts in all kinds of weather during the 60's and 70's and right now it is on one of my 22 rim fires and still is as good as day 1.  Well I am out of breath now, just an old man rambling on.   :D

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
scopes
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2004, 04:53:50 PM »
If i'm not mistaken the new leupold VX-11 is less expensive than a bushnell elete 4200. Gee nikons and bushnells must really have improved their product in the last couple of years, the last ones I had were good scopes but not in the leupold class. Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2004, 02:30:57 AM »
:D  :D  :D I sticking with my Leupolds. Just as I am a Dodge man. We all are hard headed, but that is what make us who we are. And ain't it great, we have a choice.  :D  :D  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 32-20 wcf

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2004, 11:07:23 AM »
Leupy, the Hardly Davidson of the firearms business. :-D

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2004, 01:38:53 PM »
Don't know about the Harley Davidson part.......All I ever see on Harley's are old greybearded fellows.......Not the image I want!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2004, 01:44:33 PM »
Quote from: victorcharlie
Don't know about the Harley Davidson part.......All I ever see on Harley's are old greybearded fellows.......Not the image I want!

And just exactly what is wrong with old graybeared fellows?  Talk about image, I remember shooting at victor charlies.  Image! Hah!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2004, 01:51:24 PM »
There's not a thing wrong with gray bearded old fellas, in fact, they are very popular this time of year!
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain