Author Topic: scope focus  (Read 469 times)

Offline hedditch

• Trade Count: (0)
scope focus
« on: November 29, 2004, 05:08:51 AM »
At the range I can be looking down range through the scope and all of a sudden everything gets blurry.  Directions say to adjust the ocular to get the crosshairs nice and sharp and the objective end to dial out the paralax.  All this done, I still get the problem.  How do I solve the problem.

Second question:  I am looking for a laser range finder.  What does Laser divergence of 2 mrad mean to me?  Laser wavelength 905 nm??  These are some of the specs for the Swarovskie laser range finder.  I have e-mail Swarovskie twice asking these same questions and have had no response.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
scope focus
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 06:01:34 AM »
Maybe this will help.... :wink:

Setting Up a new scope:

1. Inspect for any damage.
2. Are the AO and Power controls smooth when turned?
3. Does the image appear bright and clear [the AO must be set for the actual distance to the image]?
4. Focus the ocular lens on the reticle for your eye; not all eyes are equal, and this must be done. If you normally wear corrective lenses while shooting, then wear your glasses for this step. If you wear glasses for reading, but not shooting, then leave your glasses off for this step. When focusing the ocular lens, first look off into the distance for about a minute [so your eye accommodates to distance], and then quickly look through the scope at a blank surface [wall or sky]; is the reticle clear and crisp? If not, adjust the ocular lens 'out' 1/2 a turn, and then repeat; if it is better, then give it another 1/2 turn 'out'; if not, give it a full turn 'inwards'; repeat until you have a clear and crisp image of the reticle [ignore what the target looks like]. Remember, each time look off into the distance for about a minute before looking through the scope...... THIS IS IMPORTANT
5. Adjusting the AO for target shooting: This should be done when you are at the range [or the place where you shoot]; initially, set the Power to its highest level, and turn the AO ring to the 'marked' range at which you are shooting; if your target is at 50 yards, then turn the AO ring to "50 Yards"; now look at your target through the scope: is it clear and crisp? If not, turn the AO ring ever-so-slightly to the left or right until your target is clear and crisp. Now, set the Power to the desired level. DONE, until you change your shooting distance.
6. Adjusting the AO for hunting: This should be done just before you enter the area to be hunted; set the AO ring for the range at which you 'expect' see game: squirrels - 50 yards; woodchucks - 100 yards, etc..
7. For Non-AO scopes [rimfire and air gun], steps #5 and #6 are omitted.
8. Sighting-in the scope is a separate issue.

AO = Adjustable Objective [the BIG lens up front]: The AO is used to focus the 'image of the target'.
Ocular = The eye piece of the scope [at the back end]: The ocular is used to focus the 'image of the reticle'.

Note:
If your 3-9X scope does NOT have an AO, and you are trying to use it at 50 yards, you probably have +/- 1/2" or more of parallax; centerfire [big game] scopes are focused at the factory for 100 to 150 yards, the normal ranges at which they will be used. When mis-applied to a rimfire rifle, parallax results, as most rimfire ranges are less than 100 yards......

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24915
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hedditch

scope focus again
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 09:49:10 AM »
I can look away for a while then come back to the scope and everything looks good and clear.  After a short period of time, click, and the target is blurry, not the crosshairs.  Look away for a while then back into the scope and everything is clear for a short period of time.  I have other people note the same problem when shooting their scopes.  I shoot Leupold scopes 6.5 X 20 40mm.  The crosshairs are so  clear I see two faint lines for each cross hair in the center of the scope.  Turning the AO when everything is blurry doesn't help a thing.  I need more suggestions.  Oh, I haven't notice this problem when shooting prairie dogs or ground squirrels.  It only happens when I am shooting paper at the 100 yd tgt.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
scope focus
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 01:22:57 PM »
The scope is NOT your problem. It's your eyes. DO NOT adjust the scope.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
scope focus
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 01:51:50 PM »
I have the same problem also......i think my/your eyes just get strained and tired, and everything becomes blurry.......i had the same ?? I am glad you asked, b/c I would have forgotten......I still havent done the eyepiece focusing stuff to my scope, but I will do that fairly soon.......(I am scraed to unscrew things- I think I will let the Nitro. out or something will break :lol: )

Thanx
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
scope focus
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 02:17:56 PM »
When you focus your eye piece do it one time and you're done with it for life unless your eyes make a major change.

Hold it up and look at the blue sky or a plain white surface. Make an adjustment and look away for awhile and then look back. Continue to do this until the cross hairs are a nice solid black clear state. Then leave it the heck alone. Do not try to continue to stare into the scope while doing this for any extended period, not even several seconds. If you do your eyes will adjust and the scope focus will not be correct.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!