Author Topic: Scope for .243/coyotes??  (Read 698 times)

Offline outdoorz4me

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope for .243/coyotes??
« on: November 29, 2004, 05:52:02 PM »
I just bought a savage in 243 which I intend to use for coyotes and groundhogs, maybe even a crow. I am open to any price up to maybe $350, I am not biased toward or against any brand. I don't need a cool scope or one to impress my buddies, just to do the job. So far I am considering the following, Bushnell 3200 or 4200, Millet Buck Gold, Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch UCC Long Range, Maybe even Sightron. I looked through a Buck Gold and was very impressed. One dilemna I have is how much power I want, I don't want to have more than I need. Most coyotes will be 100 yds. or less. However I do have a few areas where 200 or more will be possible, and Groundhogs could present some 200 yd shots. I don't think I would even try anything beyond about 250. Please share your experiences. Thanks for the help.

Offline DIVR6347

• Avid Poster
.243 scope
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 06:21:50 PM »
hello
i have a tikka t3 in .243  it wears a weaver grand slam 4.5x14x40 a/o scope and its a superb coyote rig even on longer shots out to 250yds
i also have a cz 527 in .223 that wears a nikon buckmaster 4x12x50 a/o
it too is a superb scope for the money though it is a big heavy scope
it works great on a heavy barreled varmint rig
divr6347  :D  :D

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Scope for .243/coyotes??
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 12:31:54 AM »
You may want to look at the Leupold fixed 6 power scope with AO. Works good for the long shots and well as the closer shots.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Scope for .243/coyotes??
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:54:30 AM »
If you shots are typically at 100 yards than I would go with the old basic 3-9x40 in the Nikon Monarch.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline coyote 2

• Avid Poster
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/schwager/
Scope for .243/coyotes??
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 05:34:35 AM »
You may want to look at a fixed power scope. I used a 10X for many years and too many coyotes to count. At 100 yards you get a field of view of about 13 feet. Just make sure the scope has a AO. Mine is a mil-dot and for those shots out to 300 yards it came in very handy. I can only remember loosing one yote with this scope - my fault - but located him about 60 yards from where I shot him. It is amazing to go back and remember some of those shots and kills. Now days - its just paper shooting for me - my killing years are done.  :cry:
Don't cry because its over - Smile because it happened!