Author Topic: Buckshot shooters??  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
Buckshot shooters??
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:13:56 AM »
anyone use buckshot with much sucess?  If so what size and what barrel?  What is the best way to pattern a gun as far as yardage and size target?  Thanks for the help guys!!
Jeff
With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 11:39:02 AM »
hi jeff -

i did futz around with buckshot in my 12 gauge browning O/U with various chokes. from what i recall, anything tighter than modified made a mess of the pattern and the cylinder choke worked the best at short ranges.

the pellets must been distorted by the screw in choke tubes causing flyers. i think if you have a smooth bore with a tight choke would probably work just fine.

you must be shooting some big birds if you are using buck shot !!!

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Jeffery8mm

• A Real Regular
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 11:43:11 AM »
Got a place I want to stalk hunt for a big deer that calls that home!!
I have several types of buckshot bought up and am going to pattern it this weekend hopefully.
Thanks

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:59:02 PM »
If you are shooting a 12 gauge try the 000 (triple O), it patterns much better than 00 (double O) in all of my 12's. Also, if you are up close and personal many deer have fallen to 4-O buckshot, Feds I used to shoot with and that were on on their agencies Tactical teams used it from ultra short barrelled 12's as a "room clearer". Up close it would blow a 6" hole right through a sheetrock wall. I have heard that down south in the thick swamps it has also been used with success as a deer load. My 24" 12 gauge Handi with a full choke does quite well with 2 3/4" 00 buck and a bit better with 3" 000 Buck but the 3" really kicks while patterning. The full choke double 0 in a 2 3/4" shell is coyote load for me but others here have suggestyed the 4-0 buck or even #2's for coyotes. As I said, the 3" triple 0 recoil is a bit much while patterning but I never recall ever feeling any gun recoiling when I was hunting....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 02:20:28 PM »
hi msp -

hey how are the handi shot guns choked ? is it a constriction at the end of the barrel or it the whole barrel tapered ?

sg

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 05:57:56 PM »
With any gun with screw in chokes it is only in the last inch or so. I don't know of ANY shotgun that has the entire barrel slowly and evenly tapering on the interior, so I would say unequivically the last part (inch or two) of the barrel is constricted!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 06:10:13 PM »
use the remington HEVI-SHOT buckshot. works extremely well. full choke works good. i pattern at 25 yards.
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 11:20:16 AM »
I'm not a proponent of buck shot for deer. Yes it will killthem but if you cant get the same sight picture that it takes to kill them with a slug you probably shouldn't take the shot any way. If you can get the right sight picture why not send an ounce of lead through the boiler room? I've found deer on my property a dozen times or so over the years that neighboring hunters have lost using buck shot.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Jeffery8mm

• A Real Regular
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 12:47:53 PM »
Seems to be a big difference of opinion on this subject.  There just seems to be something nostalgic about a shotgun deer hunt.  But not at the exspence of the game being wounded!!  Ill pattern some and make a decision from there!!
Jeff

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 12:58:36 PM »
the answer (?) is simple jeff -

shoot what will dispatch the deer as quick as possible. new york outlawed using shot shells on deers because of the high number of cripples, so it's slugs only now.

so pick your ammo that will provide a clean quick kill !

sg

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
buckshot
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 03:12:07 PM »
I believe the high number of deer crippled from buckshot are from hunters who fail to pattern their guns, or 2, shoot way out of buckshots lethal range. If you know how your gun shoots and limit shots to below 50 yards you should be fine. I prefer Federal premium buckshot for the tighter patterns and copperplated shot, which penetrates better.

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 05:03:35 AM »
i agree masterblaster,
 most cripples with buckshot is because thier gun dosent pattern buckshot well, they shoot at a deer that is too far away and they exceed its efective range , and/or they cant shoot accurately and dont even need to be out there in the woods. JMHO
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 09:07:02 AM »
I used to be totally against deer hunting with buckshot and was quick to tell everyone how buckshot should never be used. Then one day I was arguing with a friend about this subject and he asked me if I had ever used buckshot. I said no and i never would. He smiled then said," then you really don't know what you are talking about do you?" I realized right then that I was no expert in buckshot hunting. All I knew was what I had heard or read from somebody else. So until I try it I ain't gonna knock it :grin:

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
Buckshot shooters??
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 10:15:12 AM »
I've been hunting buckshot in NJ for 30+ years.  I never will shoot at an animal further than 50 yards, period.  The thicker the brush you are shooting through, the closer the deer must be.  00 with a modified choke is what I've found to be the best combo for me in my Browning Gold Hunter.  This works well in my NEF's, Mossberg and Remington also.  Over the years, I've asked other hunters that come up empty handed after I hear them shoot what happened.  Its usually the same answer...."Well, the deer ran by at about 80 or 100 yards" :roll:   When using buckshot, stick with the close shots.  My two cents.
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA
http://www.njcsd.org/