Author Topic: Wyoming Arsenal  (Read 1071 times)

Offline dkale5

• Trade Count: (0)
Wyoming Arsenal
« on: January 28, 2003, 11:31:42 AM »
:D Since we have a new moderator, I'll post a question. I am moving to North Central Wyoming later this year and am wondering what kind of arsenal I need for the game around there. I currently have a remington 700 30-06. I was thinking about maybe a 25-06 for deer and antelope, and maybe a 223 or a 22-250 for prarie dogs. Since you have lived our west just wanted your opinion. Thanks.
"For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar...."

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
Re: Wyoming Arsenal
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 01:14:19 PM »
Quote from: dkale5
:D Since we have a new moderator, I'll post a question. I am moving to North Central Wyoming later this year and am wondering what kind of arsenal I need for the game around there. I currently have a remington 700 30-06. I was thinking about maybe a 25-06 for deer and antelope, and maybe a 223 or a 22-250 for prarie dogs. Since you have lived our west just wanted your opinion. Thanks.

You could get a predator rifle as the '06 will be fine for deer, antelope, black bear, and elk. But then again maybe you're just looking for an excuse for a new rifle. :-D RKBA!
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
Wyoming Arsenal
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2003, 05:19:39 PM »
Porkypine beat me to the moderator's job... :)   Like was mentioned, the '06 will do for everything, but that's not as much fun as a bunch of rifles.  The 25-06 will do great on antelope, deer and coyotes.  get's expensive for gophers.  As porkypine says, I use a 10/22 for that work up close.  .22-250 Tikka for way out there.  I am thinking about getting a .17 HMR for the inbetween shots.

I had a .25-06 which I sold to a buddy, and now have a .250 Savage, which is a nice rifle for the smaller stuff, but hard to find chambered in a modern rifle.  I recently bought a M70 Winchester in 6.5 Swede, and am anxious to try it out on whatever I can this fall.

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
Wyoming Arsenal
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 03:49:56 AM »
Tom, you should like that Swede.  I have a Sako L691 chambered in 6.5 and am very happy with it's performance so far.  I've taken a hog and a muley, both with one shot.  My rifle really likes Barnes XLCs.  The Barnes data I have is considerably hotter than most others, who I think provide data for the many older rifles chambered in this caliber.  I don't have a chrono, but according to Barnes I should be getting about 3100 fps with 120 grainers and about 2900 with the 140s.  In modern rifles, the Swede is everything the .260 Remington is and seems to handle the long heavey bullets a little better.

Offline WyoHunter

• Make each hunt an experience you'll never forget!
Wyoming Arsenal
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 12:55:09 PM »
Although an '06 would handle elk and moose I'd recommend you get a .338-06 for the above or if you like mags any of the .30 cals. With the .25-06 you've got the deer and antelope and sheep covered pretty well. Welcome to Wyoming! :D
Make each hunt an experience to remember!

NRA Life Member

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
Wyoming Arsenal
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 07:26:20 PM »
Got tired of gettin the snot kicked outta me and have shrunk my arsenal so the 270 is the biggist thing I shoot (In a rifle, at least). I haven't lost an elk yet but do admit I know the limitations and consider my shots accordingly. Just got a new Sauer 202 with a 270 Win barrel and also a 25-06 barrel. Plan to go shoot up a bunch of ammo to see if one shoots better than the other and the best goes on the antelope hunt.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline Lawdog

Wyoming Arsenal
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 09:24:52 AM »
dkale5,

Just in case you come back and check on this post I can see nothing wrong with your choice of a .25-06 for deer and antelope.  One of the very best cartridges made for these animals.  As for prairie dogs and other little critters the .223 will do nicely as will the .22-250.  Surplus brass for the .223 will save you a few dollars but both will reach out as far as most hunters feel comfortable shooting.  If you're going to shoot farther than what these two can then that .25-06 comes in handy.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
Wyoming Arsenal
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 02:46:41 PM »
On the inlaw' ranch, we all carry a single action big bore revolvers on horseback, in the trucks, we carry a centerfire .22.  I recommend a .22-250 or .220 Swift (I have a swift and wouldn't trade it for the world) a .30'06, a 7mm Rem. Mag, or a .300 Win Mag (kinda hard to find the shoot 'em in the toe and drop 'em SAUMs and WSMs in WY except for Casper and Cheyenne, lol!).  I also highly recommend a Single action revolver for the cats and bears.  You don't want to be hauling a rifle around everywhere, and the only time you can kill them without a license, they better be in pistol range and showing canines when the game warden's find them, heh heh.  As far as the pistol goes, get a .44 Rem Mag.  You can find .44 Mag, and any of the "Old" rifle calibers like the .30'06, 7mm Mag, etc. anywhere in WY
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline jdt48653

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • walk softly and carry a 264
Wyoming Arsenal
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 04:11:24 PM »
my 264win covers the whole spectrum. elk to prarie dogs!