Author Topic: lil Gun in a 357mag rifle  (Read 482 times)

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
lil Gun in a 357mag rifle
« on: December 03, 2004, 05:39:51 AM »
I have been working up a load for the 200 meter Cowboy Silhouette Game.  I have a 357 Mag Rossi 92 that I have been using for the 100 meter game.  On our 100m range I have been using a load that goes about 1200 fps with a soft cast lead bullet.  

For the 200m game I wanted to go to a 180gr cast bullet, with a gas check.  One of the guys gave me some bullets that he uses out of his 10" pistol.  They are the RCBS 357 cast bullet that weighs in at 180 gr.  

I would like to try working up some loads using lil gun powder with this load.  They can be max velocity but mostly need to be accurate.  

If any of you guys have any recommendations using this bullet and powder in a 357 rifle please share the info.

Thanks, Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline ajj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
lil Gun in a 357mag rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 06:01:35 AM »
No direct experience but will suggest that you just use handgun data and work up from starting loads toward max (watching for pressure signs, etc, etc) while shooting off the bench at the full 200 yds. This is a pretty slow powder in .357, right? The only message is that you seldom see any real difference in the good recipes for rifle vs. pistol in the straight-walled pistol cartridges (or, for that matter, in the bottle-neck rifle cartridges.) What works well in the short barrel should work well in the long one. I do believe the 92 is known as a strong action. Good luck.