Author Topic: What range  (Read 727 times)

Offline TrapperZach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What range
« on: December 04, 2004, 06:15:42 AM »
what range do i have with 12 guage 2 3/4 inch double o buck shot shels? tis the fedral premium vital shok amo.  for deer hunting

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: What range
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 07:52:10 AM »
Quote from: TrapperZach
what range do i have with 12 guage 2 3/4 inch double o buck shot shels? tis the fedral premium vital shok amo.  for deer hunting

I would not shoot past 50 yards with them, personally I think they should outlaw buckshot. I see a lot of deer wounded and the deer deserves a clean kill not an agonizing death.  :evil: This is my opinion, and I would never even consider using buckshot. My buddy is a Taxidermist and he shows me all the buck shot he digs out of deer that were wounded by buckshot. Most are infected with puss pockets. Eyes lost and crippled deer. I know you all using buck shot are going to hammer me, that OK.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
What range
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 12:00:25 PM »
Beyond 25-30 yards you'll likely wound more deer than you kill. I totally agree that the use of buck shot on deer should not be allowed.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
What range
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 12:22:41 PM »
thanx ill use somtin else then. how bout a slug

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
What range
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 12:29:38 PM »
Generally speaking a slug will be fine to whatever range you can always hit the kill zone with it. Scoped guns and especially rifled barrels with scopes are fully up to 200 yard shots IF the shooter is. Ya can't kill what ya can't hit. Unless you are in a shotgun only zone a rifle is far better choice.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lawdog

What range
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 01:25:27 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Generally speaking a slug will be fine to whatever range you can always hit the kill zone with it. Scoped guns and especially rifled barrels with scopes are fully up to 200 yard shots IF the shooter is. Ya can't kill what ya can't hit. Unless you are in a shotgun only zone a rifle is far better choice.

I agree with Graybeard completely.  Buckshot works fairly well on a human but a 200+ lb. man is pretty frail critter when compared to a 100 lb. deer.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
What range
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 03:26:37 PM »
ya ill proly be usin a .270 if the guy gets it sited in soon enough. but i had some slugs and buckshot so i was wonderin just in case. my shot gun is a reguler old mossberg 500 12 not rifled or even plated for steel shot.

Offline savageT

What range
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 03:50:26 PM »
trapperZach,
Your Mossberg 500 12 gauge smoothbore should be fine with foster rifled slugs (designed for smoothbore barrels).  If you plan on using that gun, you will still need to sight it in.  If you don't have good iron sights or a scope I hope you will at least plan on shooting a few different brands of slugs to find out if you can keep the shots in a pie plate sized area.......  at 50 yds tops.

What happened to that .270 you were talking about earlier?  You need to honestly ask yourself if you are ready to go deer hunting at this late stage?  You must be responsible as a hunter to make certain you can hit and dispatch your intended target humanely.  Its alright to ask questions but  the use of Buck-shot is best left to Law Enforcement Personnel not hunters.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
What range
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 04:35:41 PM »
The only time I can see using buck shot is on a deer drive where the shots are fast and close and you do not want long range

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
What range
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 01:22:21 AM »
ya ill proly use the slug or .270 i didint now about the buckshot. on the .270 i dont have a rifle large enough for deer so the guy we go hunting with let me borow his last week he insisted it was on but i have no place to just go and shoot. so when the buck came out last week it was shootin realy high it must have got bumped but he does have a place to sight it in so if ican go with him the i can get it in. but the shot gun was a last resort.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
What range
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 05:54:46 AM »
If you have no place to shoot the rifle to check it I suspect you also have no place to check the shotgun to see where it is hitting. If you have no clue where the gun is hitting and what you can do with it you have no business in the woods calling yourself hunting. If you cannot or will not make time and find a place to make absolutely certain where the gun is hitting and what you and it are capable of then do the deer, yourself and all hunters a favor and stay home until you can.

I know that sounds harsh and I realize a young man like yourself wants to go kill a deer. BUT dang it that's an obligation you have to be responsible to yourself, the game you seek and to other hunters. If you're not willing to accept the responsibility you need to find some other pass time than hunting. You're never too young to learn responsibility.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
What range
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 12:12:35 PM »
i can shoot shot gun down the road at my frinds house but not high powerd rifle im afraid to do that there they go to far but we shoot skeet down there and theres trees but im not willin to take a chance with a rifle. even a 22 i dont.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
What range
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 12:13:12 PM »
I have to agree with graybeard,
you owe it to the game you hunt to be able to take it as cleanly as passable.

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
What range
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 03:40:39 PM »
i have a place to sight it in now the guy got permison to do it there so i will this week and go hunting saturday. i can get it sighted in now. i now i owe it to the game i never take a shot im not sure about on the smaller game ive hunted and defintly wont on larger game.ive wounded a couple of squrrels in the past tryin for not as good a shot i felt realy bad about it now on them i only take head shots so on the deer ill only take a shot if i get him broadside.

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
What range
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 04:43:27 AM »
I actually prefer buckshot on drives and in the swamp. Inside 35 yards if you aim for the chest you will more than likely knock the deer down on the spot. If you try to hit the head you stand a good chance of knocking off the bottom jaw or something. You can't ever get rifle performance out of buckshot, but that isn't the idea behind buckshot. Use it like a shotgun, on game inside 35 yards, often moving, and I don't think there is a better choice.

It's like bow hunting in a way. You need to know how your gun patterns. You need to be in closer than with a rifle, and you need to aim for something big enough to hit without stretching your luck, like the chest.
Just my opinion though.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.