Author Topic: Custom 257 Roberts.  (Read 6074 times)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2004, 02:33:15 PM »
Mac.
I thought I answered that question above.

I guess it is obvious by now that I am very fond of the 25 bore. The 257 Roberts is not my favorite case but it is so well suited to the Handi and that is why I choose it. Besides it is a well liked standard caliber and easy to sell. The 25-06 would been another option but I already have one.
Besides the 25-06 Ultra I had did not like to be stepped up above the 257 Roberts.

There is one other reason I mentioned. The 257 Roberts will duplicate my 25 Hunter in performance with a bit more powder but less pressure. I found the Handi action likes less pressure for good accuracy. We all know it is not an high pressure action, or do we?

The 25 Hunter I have has never disappointed me in performance, granted it is not up to the 25-06. With that 115gr TSX bullet it would be easy to take an elk. No by god its not an elk rifle as the word goes. I will send you a PM with the calcs.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Donaldo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2004, 05:38:01 PM »
Fred, as you well know......a .25 is a good elk rifle..........in the right hands.  8)
Luke 11:21

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2004, 06:10:43 AM »
The octagon barrel went to the barrel maker yesterday. If I am lucky I might have the barrel back by the end of January?

Before I do any finishing on the barrel I will try it out on the rifle to see if the barrel shoots or if I octagonized it into a tomato stake?
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2005, 06:15:47 AM »
Well I was lucky got the barrel yesterday.Fitted the forearm and installed the new forearm lug. The barrel maker says the steel on this barrel is as good as he can buy, it has very good machining qualities.

You can tell by the finish of the chamber and the barrel grooves.

Sofar so good. The stock too is shaped and awaits checkering and final finish.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2005, 06:23:52 AM »
Fred:

Looks like your going to have it done way ahead of time...Swseeeeeeet... :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2005, 06:51:09 AM »
Fred,
We are going to get to see pics of this baby when you get it finished, right?

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2005, 10:57:11 AM »
Yes Donaldo I will make a few pictures. One big job still ahead is the draw filing of the octagon barrel. Have never done that, need to do some research on that one.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline 257Robt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2005, 12:02:29 PM »
I have been following this thread and am curious to see a photo of the Roberts. I am very partial to them. I only have one question though; why doesn't NEF make the Handi in 257 Roberts? On the old forum it seemed like there were quite a few people who wanted them and the 35 Whelen. Wouldn't it pay to make what the people were asking for or does that make to much sense? I don't have a Handi now, but I have had a 7mm Mauser, shoulda kept that one, and a 30-30 that a buddy uses now.
Expect it when you least expect it

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2005, 09:16:35 AM »
Fred,
I did some draw filing on a barrel years ago.  I found real quick the way to go was a new, good, very sharp file and a way to keep it clean.  One bit of steel stuck in the file teeth can set you back quite a few strokes, but I figure you already know this.  Good luck.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
The Handi Kiplaufstutzen
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2005, 07:58:26 PM »
Well the 257 Roberts is finaly finished and ready to shoot. The full size pictures did not turn out so I have to redo them. But here are a few detail shots This rifle was build from an 223 Ultra, rebored and rechambered to 257 R lock stock and barrel, only the grip cap and butt plate are new. The grip cap is Rosewood, the butt plate is a used Ithaca from 20 gauge shotgun. The rifle complete with a sling and one loaded shell weighs 7 lbs -6oz.  Weaver bases and B-Square rings and a Sightron 3-9x42 scope.

With the 24" octagon barrel it perfectly balances  between the hands on the hinge pin, which make the rifle very lively and fast to point for offhand shooting.

This is a Handi dandy Kiplaufstutzen I like to think it will shoot well.

This is the Devcon Steel bed to take the side play out of the chamber end
and the the steel shims to stop the under lug from torqueing.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2005, 08:09:24 PM »
Nice work Fred!!! :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2005, 08:48:50 PM »
Fred:

Who did the stock work for you...and is that a original Ultra Cinamon laminated stock that has been fully reworked?? It's got some very nice clean lines...and is that a nice cheek piece I spy on it??

Mac

Offline 257Robt

• Contributor
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2005, 02:35:11 AM »
Those pics look pretty awesome!!
Expect it when you least expect it

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2005, 12:04:39 PM »
It looks great Fred M, I'm looking forward to seeing the complete gun in one picture!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Final show and tell
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2005, 12:35:31 PM »
To answer your questions. All the stock workand metal work was don by my self except the checkering and the final metal finishing and polishing of the octagon barrel.

Here is the comparison of the two stocks previous and final.

The low spope mounts

The barrel stud 2 # 10-32, 5 threads into the barrel plus J-B Weld

Forearm detail

And this is the butt end of the show.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2005, 12:59:39 PM »
Fred, she's a beaut, thanks for sharing!! :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jeff223

Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2005, 01:44:34 PM »
Fred you did a great job on your rifle.i really like the way you worked over the factory butt stock,LOOKS REAL NICE :wink: i cant wait till you put a few rounds through it.i bet its a shooter for sure.

good job :toast:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2005, 02:45:40 PM »
:D , Your a class act Fred, and so is that beautiful rifle of yours....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MGMorden

Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2005, 05:04:53 PM »
Beautiful rifle.  Can't wait to hear how it shoots :).  I've become partial to the light recoiling big game guns (I'm a big fan of 6.5x55) and though I've not shot one yet, it seems like a .257 Roberts should be another excellent round of this type.   I'm having one built myself actually (on a Turkish Mauser action though).  Hopefully it will turn out as nice :-) .

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2005, 05:29:38 PM »
Fred,
Man, you did good.  That is for sure, "shock and awe".  That is one purtty rifle.  Congratulations. :wink:

Offline Deadeye47

Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2005, 05:35:55 PM »
W0W :eek:  Very nice job!!
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Custom 257 ROB.
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2005, 05:47:59 PM »
Fred M. That is a fine looking rifle, If shoots half as good as it
 looks, It will put meat in the freeser. Good luck  Marv.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2005, 07:09:34 PM »
Thanks for the compliments, all of you guys.
I am just as anxious to find out how this rifle shoots. With a cut rifling barrel you have be bit more patient, they take a bit more break in time, also this barrel looks really smooth.

There is two kinds of schools on the cut or button rifling barrels. Cut rifling is supposed to have longer life. The other folks think the button barrels are more accurate.Smith has been producing champion barrels and so has HS precision. I have one of those and it is outstanding. So we will see.

Then there is talk that octagon barrels will walk when they warm up? Who knows. But they sure look classy. Maybe there is a price to pay for good looks :lol:  :lol:
I had another Smith barrel before and it was not fast coming around, but when it did it set the house on fire. Super accurate 7mm08AI, and the final chamber was a 284 Win.  The guy that bought it thought he was under gunned with the 7mm-08 AI. So I rechambered it to 284. Wildcats don't sell very good.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2005, 08:07:18 PM »
Fred:

Anytime you would like to rework my cinnamon laminated stocks like what you did on these...I'll be glad to ship them up to you...you did an extrodinary job there my friend...

Mac

Offline olredhead

Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2005, 04:04:06 AM »
Doggone it Fred-------
             Had my stock slimmed down reshaped and the final sanding done, ready for staining. Now I've seen what a pro can do and I know I'll never be satisified until I try to do more, a lot more. Aw well, it will keep me out of the pool hall on these cool winter evenings. By the way, fantastic work !! For me  multi-talented means walkin and chewin at the same time.    redhaed

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2005, 04:14:16 AM »
Mac's right Fred, as well as Olredhead, thats a GREAT looking stock reshaping. If you start doing it for $ please lets us know!!! I realize it's difficult shipping guns into and out of Canada from the US but it should be easy to send a chunk of wood back and forth....<><.... :grin:

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2005, 11:34:24 AM »
Fred, I agree that rifle looks great!  You gonna share how you did that stock?  Nice work.

I also noticed you changed the angle of the recoil pad area.  Why was that?  You got me curious.  Does it change the felt recoil?  The 257 must be a mild recoil cause you got rid of the pad too.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2005, 05:21:58 PM »
MSP Ret
If you start doing it for $ please lets us know!

I never did like the idea to work for one or two dollars per hour. when I can just sit down and wait for my old age pension check to come in. :lol:  :lol:  No trouble sending wood to Canada. But we are not to send our softwood lumber to the US. :-D  :-D

handirifle
I also noticed you changed the angle of the recoil pad area. Why was that?

Yes you are right, this is what is called pitch. It takes into consideration the shape of your shoulder and chest. Pitch can be anything from 0 for men and 4" or more for for women depending on her endowments. A good pitch will not reduce recoil but will distribute the recoil over the whole butt rather than have the toe dig into your shoulder. Or like you said, perhaps less felt recoil?

It is measured from a line from the top of the receiver at the trigger or the standing breech, forward 28" and  0 to 4" above the end of the barrel.
This line is caried back to the end of the stock. The cut off is quare to this line. My pitch is 2.5" at 28". Gunstock Inc uses 1" at  14" for an average stock. which is just a 1/4" less than I use for myself. This is a good pitch.

On a shot gun for instinctive shooting pitch is a lot more important than on a rifle. Too little make the gun shoot high  too much will make it shoot low.

For me the 257 Roberts dosn't need a recoil pad, besides they don't look nice and add extra weight. Donb't get ne wrong I am not against recoil pads.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline biglmbass

Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2005, 08:10:55 AM »
Great looking rifle!  Nice work.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Custom 257 Roberts.
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2005, 10:01:59 AM »
Well guys today the 257 Roberts went to the range, notwithstanding near freezing temperature and a cold cross wind.

Worked up 12 Loads 3 shots each, three powders and two bullets. using 100gr Rem PSP and Hornady 75 gr V-max. The best group with H4350 was 11/16 at 3076 ft. (3100 ft was the vel I was looking for)

Best group with IMR4350 an even 1" with 46gr. Ave 2986 this is avery mild load and needs some more powder.

The 75gr V- max best group 1/2" at 3431FT. Second best group 5/8 at a sizzling 3568 ft Ave with N150 powder this load produced on stuck case a bit too hot. Loads were developed not to exceed 51.5kpsi. All bullets Moly plated.

Now  all I need to do is develop a load for the 100gr Barnes TSX bullet and that is it. Before that I will use up the box of 100gr Rem PSP. Since I only ever use the them for breaking in barrels.

The barrel is really smoth now. During the brass fire forming I made up 20 fire lapping loads 10 od 800grit and 10 of 1200 grit this gave the barrel a real polishing job. That end the saga of the 257 Roberts.

This rifle is very pleasant to shoot and and has almost perfect balance, something that was not planed. Every thing seems to blend in.

Now I need to get bussy to get the BR guns and ammo ready for the up comming matches.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.