Author Topic: bullet alloy behavior  (Read 919 times)

Offline kirkwhitaker

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.kirkwhitaker.com
bullet alloy behavior
« on: January 29, 2003, 03:59:35 AM »
have a question dealing with bullet alloy behavior in relation to bullets flattening, breaking, etc. What alloys and bhns are prone to do what...ie hard bullets shatter in implact with steel...
kw
www.kirkwhitaker.com is up and running
drop on by!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: bullet alloy behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 11:16:15 AM »
I dont think any bullet is going to hold up to shooting at steel. Ive never had a bullet at handgun velocity brake up on game The hardest I cast is pure linotype. I dont fool much with water dropped bullets so Ill let someone who has more experience then me comment on that.
Quote from: kirkwhitaker
have a question dealing with bullet alloy behavior in relation to bullets flattening, breaking, etc. What alloys and bhns are prone to do what...ie hard bullets shatter in implact with steel...
kw
blue lives matter

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
bullet alloy behavior
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 01:37:41 PM »
Kirk - you raise an interesting question that has a lot of answers - since there are a lot of variables.

Let me guess - would you be interested in maximizing the transfer of energy - as in silouette shooting?  Or is the issue dealing with where the bullet fragments are going after the impact?

Start with a couple of observations.  When the bullet hits dead on (normal or square to the metal) it deforms getting larger and shorter; whereas if hitting at an angle it deforms and skids.  If it is going fast enough there will be penetration which will melt a good portion of the lead (as in a .223 going into a 1" thick piece of steel - leaving about a 3/4" deep x 1" diameter hole coated with lead)  There is real danger of a jacket being turned inside out and coming straight back as well - don't ask how I know.

Dr Mann (the Bullet's Flight) has many pictures of lead bullets (generally soft) and studied external ballistics.  Worth looking into for the details of how the bullet files, some information on what happens to the bullets in the process.

So from here experiment - velocity and hardness make a difference.  Pick a hardness and run through a range of velocities, taking good notes and pictures if possible.  Then up the hardness, repeat.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
bullet alloy behavior
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 12:38:40 PM »
Cat Whisperer.
Man that sounds just to complecated to me,Cant you just take a cardboard box and put it over the steel plate shoot through it and see how big the splatter holes are??? :-D  :-D  :-D Lp.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
bullet alloy behavior
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 02:47:44 PM »
LP - it can be done as simply or as complex as one desires - only it's my recommendation that if shooting at steel the range between the muzzle and the plate be maximized.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
bullet alloy behavior
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 03:28:28 PM »
C W>I'll go along with that.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.