Author Topic: 210 Yard shot with my 1100 shotgun sluger  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
210 Yard shot with my 1100 shotgun sluger
« on: December 04, 2004, 02:19:13 PM »
I was in Maryland hunting again tonight. All the stands were taken and I decided to hunt the back side of the farm from the ground. At about 4:45 PM I had 10 deer feeding in the field at what I was guessing to be about 125 to 140 yards. I left my rangefinder in the truck. :(  Well I watched them feed and looked for a buck, not one was a buck, all doe's. I had another one come into the field and it came to within 40 yards feeding, but it was a small doe. Well I waited until 5:10 to see if a buck would come out, with 5 minuets left of light I decided to take the biggest doe. One shot from my Remington 1100 with Remington 2 3/4 copper solid slug and the doe dropped in it tracks. My buddy came over and asked where the deer was, I told him and he went back to get my truck and pull up to the area I shot from, He saw me and used my range finder and said I was 210 yards from where I shot. I told him I was where the deer dropped in his tracks. We could not believe it was 210 yards. The doe dressed out at 124lb.  :D  Double lung shot and through the shoulder. I am glad the other 3 hunter were there, or they would not of believed me. :grin:
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 04:15:46 PM »
I took a button buck at about 300 yards using a H&R 980 untra slugger.I paced this off so it could be a little more or less. The deer dropped in it's tracks.
I was sitting about 30 feet up in a tree on the edge of a field (I love to hunt on field  in the evening) The buck came out on the far side and started feeding then gave me a good side shot so I took it. People still don't beleave I was able to shoot that far.

Offline LMM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 04:37:17 PM »
Doesn't matter what people think....you know what happened.  Impressive shooting guys.
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 05:25:12 PM »
Thanks, now if I can get the big buck out there. I got a 10 point in Delaware and there is a bigger 10 point on the land I lease in Maryland.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 12:00:16 PM »
Redhawk1,
Congrats on the doe.  Shotgun slugs sure have come a long way.  Where did you hold and where is your gun sighted in?  According to Remington Ballistics the 2 3/4" 12 ga premier copper solid slug leaves the barrel @ 1550fps and with a 100yd zero it would drop just over 24" at 200yds so to be off in range estimation from 140 to 210 the difference in bullet impact should have been well over a foot.  If you held right on either the slugs are flying faster than published data or your range finder needs a tune-up.

Offline oneshotonekill

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 12:01:46 PM »
Redhawk1,
Congrats on the doe.  Shotgun slugs sure have come a long way.  Where did you hold and where is your gun sighted in?  According to Remington Ballistics the 2 3/4" 12 ga premier copper solid slug leaves the barrel @ 1550fps and with a 100yd zero it would drop just over 24" at 200yds so to be off in range estimation from 140 to 210 the difference in bullet impact should have been well over a foot.  If you held right on either the slugs are flying faster than published data or your range finder needs a tune-up.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 05:42:17 PM »
Quote from: oneshotonekill
Redhawk1,

We used two different range finders and both were within 1 yards of each other. I am sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yards. I sighted in high for 150 yards shots in the field we hunt on. I practice at 150 yards, and I am very confident in my shots out to the range with a slug. I held at the top of the deers back about an inch from the top. I was wondering the same thing you wrote. After we shot the range finder I could not believe it hit the deer where it did. We have rechecked the spot about 4 times and it still reads 210 yards.  :grin:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline oneshotonekill

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 04:12:31 PM »
Makes me think some of these slugs are being reported very conservatively in ballistics reports.  They could very well be moving much faster than published data.  In slug only areas I can see where keeping the published data conservative could be beneficial.

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 12:16:17 AM »
I have chrony'd foster and sabot slugs.  Fosters are pretty close to advertised but not over (usually about 50fps under advertised).  Sabots usually fall upto a couple hundred FPS short of advertised.  However the Hornady H2K's run pretty close to advertised (within 50fps of advertised).  None of them were at or above advertised velocities.
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 01:27:37 PM »
Sounds like great shooting to me. Either way it's deer in the freezer. Hey, good luck w/ those 2 monster bucks (or one of them at least  :wink: ).  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 03:43:07 PM »
Fishman029, the 10 point from Delaware is at my taxidermist. It is going to look good on my wall.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 03:54:52 PM »
Oh, oops...didn't see the 'I got' part of that sentence  :-D . Can you still take that other buck this season? If so I wish you luck. Otherwise, hopefully he'll be a 12 point next year.  :wink:  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 04:18:53 AM »
Quote from: Fishman029
Oh, oops...didn't see the 'I got' part of that sentence  :-D . Can you still take that other buck this season? If so I wish you luck. Otherwise, hopefully he'll be a 12 point next year.  :wink:  :D

The other 10 pointer is in Maryland. All my Buck tags for Delaware are filled. So I will be able to get him in Maryland, I have 2 buck tags for there. We have only seen it 2 time this year. If it comes out I will take it, or one of the other guys in our hunting group will take it.  :D  Going out tonight for the second M/L season.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 05:56:59 AM »
Sounds like you're gonna have a freezer full of venison  :-D . Isn't it expensive to go out of state? But it might be worth it...mebe u got urself a lil honey hole.  :twisted: . Good luck with the muzzleloader season. I have to wait another week or so, but both archery and the muzzleloader seasons open at the same time. Perfect to test out my new PSE  :twisted: . C-ya later!  :D
JP

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 07:13:29 AM »
You are right about the freezer full of meat. I got 10 deer this year and my son got 2.  But I get jerky made and give it out as gifts. I also donate a lot of deer to the hunter for the hungry. Maryland and Delaware are over run with deer. In Maryland you can get a total or 32 deer and only 2 can be bucks, but you can also get Sika deer also.  In Delaware you can only get 2 bucks and you get 4 doe permits with your tag, but you can keep buying doe tags as long as the hunting season is going.  :D I have passed on a lot of bucks in Maryland after I got my 10 point in Delaware. I would not shoot a smaller buck than my last one. Plus it is nice to leave them for next year.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2004, 10:08:06 AM »
Geez, I think I might be moving to Maryland sometime soon  :-D . 12 deer total between the two of you, yikes. And you can actually take 32 in Maryland? Yikes, definetly moving there. Need some more meat in the freezer. :wink:  :D
JP

Offline FOsteology

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2004, 10:18:38 AM »
I used my 20 ga Remington SPS with 385gr Lightfield slugs on two Red Deer Hinds a couple weeks ago. 60 yards and they each dropped like a sack of cement. Slugs really pack a serious KO. They smallest one was literally tipped over onto her side and back by the impact.

210 yards is a good clip for a slug. Nice shooting.
Protect your hunting freedoms....Join the NRA

Offline rickyp

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 02:50:14 AM »
Quote from: Fishman029
Geez, I think I might be moving to Maryland sometime soon  :-D . 12 deer total between the two of you, yikes. And you can actually take 32 in Maryland? Yikes, definetly moving there. Need some more meat in the freezer. :wink:  :D

in some parts you can take as many as you want with a bow.

MD is not hunters Paradise.

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2004, 03:13:49 AM »
Tryin to discourage me, are ya?  :-D . But the deer pop. is that bad? That you can take as many as you want with a bow and then take over 10 during the regular season? I'm sure you guys are having a field day down there takin care of the problem :roll: .  :D
JP

Offline rickyp

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004, 10:35:34 AM »
not really a field day
the counties you can take as many as you want are well over populated with people and have very little land suitble for hunting. you almost have to hunt on state land or sit in someones little back yard and hope you dont get shot by some punk.

if you wnat to hunt for a buck you can take the first one then you have to buy a buck tag, but before you can shoot a second buck you have to shoot 2 more does.
so 1 small buck then 2 does then 1 more buck then the rest must be does.

it isnt as good as it sounds

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2004, 10:53:39 AM »
Quote from: rickyp
not really a field day
the counties you can take as many as you want are well over populated with people and have very little land suitble for hunting. you almost have to hunt on state land or sit in someones little back yard and hope you dont get shot by some punk.

if you wnat to hunt for a buck you can take the first one then you have to buy a buck tag, but before you can shoot a second buck you have to shoot 2 more does.
so 1 small buck then 2 does then 1 more buck then the rest must be does.

it isnt as good as it sounds

Better than some States where you can only get one or two deer per year. Also doe's are good eating. Better then a rutted up buck. :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2004, 11:02:59 AM »
Better than some States where you can only get one or two deer per year. Also doe's are good eating. Better then a rutted up buck.

this is true but most of the good land around me is rented out to rich hunting clubs or the farmer wants over $500.00 for deer season. I got lucky because a friend of mine got 1/2 an 800 acre farm that I can hunt as a guest. if we loose this farm it will be back to state land that is over run with stupid people

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »
Well, I just got done cuttin up my doe. And after readin what you guys have said, I might just say in my one and only home; Pennsylvania.  :D
JP

Offline rickyp

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2004, 12:25:10 PM »
Better than some States where you can only get one or two deer per year
not all that long ago gun season was just 1 week and we could only take 1 deer. it has changed quite a bif and fast. but the price of

the licensefees has jumped way up
$24.50 for resident regular hunting license
$6.00 bow stamp
$6.00 muzzle loader stamp
$10.00 bonus antlered stamp
$9,00 game bird stamp (needed to hunt dove, geese and ducks)
for a total of $55.50
the if you want to hunt geese or ducks you have to buy a federal stamp for another $15.00
MD is not known for the biggest deer around we do have a lot of does

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2004, 12:57:43 PM »
rickyp, try paying my out of stat fees.  :eek:  But it is worth it to me. I am on a lease myself with 4 people total, we have it again next year also.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2004, 01:09:13 PM »
so you are one of the rich people that push poor people like me out of good hunting farms :-D
I dont understand how MD comes up with it's out of state prices
Delaware at $86
Penn. at $101
VA at $140
W.VA at $135 and I guess the rest of the states are $130
I can see why they chareg more for out of state but why the diffrent prices? now you got me thinking I will be sending an email to MD's DNR and asking why.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2004, 11:14:35 PM »
I think Maryland charges out of Staters what there State charges for an out of State licence. But I am like you, I hate to have to pay to go hunting on a farm.  I have tried all the old ways of helping out the farmers, but they want cash, not help any more. Sad to say, but hunting has turned into a money sport. Look at the guide services, you pay what some people make all year for just one hunt.  :eek: It won't be long until hunting becomes a rich mans sport.  :evil:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2004, 02:11:17 AM »
what needs to be done but will never happen is all hunters stop booking the high priced and start doing a self -guided hunt where they can. and stop going to farmers and paying what they want for the use of the land.
once the farmers loose the hunters money and start getting more in crop damage they will be begging for hunters to come back. with the guides I understand the need for making a living but people don't need to make a killing,

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2004, 02:43:37 AM »
what needs to be done but will never happen is all hunters stop booking the high priced and start doing a self -guided hunt where they can. and stop going to farmers and paying what they want for the use of the land.
once the farmers loose the hunters money and start getting more in crop damage they will be begging for hunters to come back. with the guides I understand the need for making a living but people don't need to make a killing,

There were hunter in Delaware that tried to do that. They did not renew there lease and some out of staters bought it for twice as much, now they are kicking themselves. I did a self guided hunt in Alaska and was very successful. But there some states that require you have a resident guide for certain hunts. Hunting is a big business and it would be hard to get all hunters on the same page. Look how people are divided in the Presidential election.  :eek: We can only hope for the best.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2004, 03:34:02 AM »

Sounds great to me!  :D
JP