Author Topic: help me get started  (Read 809 times)

Offline harley45

• Trade Count: (0)
help me get started
« on: December 06, 2004, 08:28:08 AM »
I've been casting my own bullets for a few years and would like to get into swaging now. I want to start out making them for my .45 acp. Perhaps a 200 gr. wadcutter style, and a 230gr. hollowpoint. I have no idea how to get started or what equipment to buy. Can you folks point me in the right direction?
Thanks Eric

Offline onomrbil

help me get started
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 12:43:36 PM »
Have a look at www.ch4d.com.  They make a good set of .45 swaging dies that are not very expensive and will give you an idea of what is expected.  These dies also have the advantage of not requiring a swaging press or modifications to your current reloading press.  C&H also sells jackets and core moulds, lead wire, etc.  I have made a pile of .452s using C&H dies and they are quite satisfactory for getting started.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
help me get started
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 02:01:15 PM »
Give a talk to Richard Corbin at RCE. Co. (541) 512-0440, email is: info@rceco.com.

Just tell him what you want to do and get a quote. You cannot go wrong with his swaging press, The Walnut Hill, and his dies are tops but reasonably priced.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
help me get started
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 02:32:54 PM »
The C&H dies and method are satisfactory and certainly economical compared to RCE's and Corbin Co system, but if you are thinking about making jacketed rifle bullets then a speciality swaging press and "Corbin type" dies will be needed. While C&H dies are 'rated' for 1/2 and 3/4 jackets, making  bullets, especially 44s or 45s, over time will stress even a Rock Chucker type press, will may ruin the linkages and what bearings there are. If you are considering moderately thick walled jackets, the C&H system just won't work at all. And, I don't think CH does rifle bullet dies any longer. After having said that, if you are going to ONLY make 45 lead pistol bullets, using 1/2 jackets, or gas checks, or plain lead bases, I'd go with CH and also get a cannelure tool and a can of dip lub. It would be less expensive buying a new reloading press, if it does get worn, than paying for quality you may not need. Now the bad news: once you start swaging bullets you aren't going to stop with plain venella 45s. You'll find the versatility and quality of bullets so good that you'll want to expand, and that you can not do in the CH/4D line. 8)