Author Topic: Almost forgot to mention  (Read 649 times)

Offline markdeerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Almost forgot to mention
« on: December 06, 2004, 11:57:53 AM »
The 10 pointer has a broadhead stuck in his left antler
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/markdeerhunter/DeerSeason2004028.jpg
Pick a spot and let it fly

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Almost forgot to mention
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 12:07:07 PM »
Another case of shooting where you're looking instead of looking where you should be shooting. Happens every year a bunch of times. Once a decision to shoot has been made never look at the rack again until you walk up to the animal.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline markdeerhunter

10 pointer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 12:12:57 PM »
I didn't shoot an arrow at it. I got him with my 30-06.I just thought it was worth mentioning because I had never seen such a thing.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Almost forgot to mention
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 12:48:07 PM »
So he must have been shot while in velvet eh?  Otherwise the broadhead would have glanced off.  He is impressive as he is, I wonder what he looked like in velvet?

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
Almost forgot to mention
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 12:52:23 PM »
I didn't shoot an arrow at it. I got him with my 30-06.I just thought it was worth mentioning because I had never seen such a thing.

Understood. I was just commenting in general on how folks do that. A lot of racks especially nice ones get shot every year for that reason. Folks just can't take their concentration off the rack and so shoot it.

So he must have been shot while in velvet eh? Otherwise the broadhead would have glanced off.

Maybe but never under estimate the penetration of a broad head. Still some bow seasons start when antlers are in velvet and some folks poach before season opens. Ya just aren't likely to ever know. But it does make for an even more interesting trophy. If that archer had took their eyes off the rack and aimed at the kill zone we'd likely not be seeing the deer here as someone else would have taken it home.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline markdeerhunter

Almost forgot to mention
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 01:43:10 PM »
No problem,Graybeard. My taxedermist said in most likelyhood it happened after velvet because he felt that in velvet the broadhead would have probably sliced right through.

Offline JPSaxMan

Almost forgot to mention
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 02:52:10 PM »
Nice deer and that's a nice trademark on it. Don't ya feel bad for the sucker who missed?  :roll: . Same thing w/ my 8 point except someone had shot it w/ an arrow and almost killed it. We found a nodule while butchering it and we threw out the one quarter b/c we weren't sure if it was a tumor or not and we found arrow fletchings in the nodule. So that deer might not have been mine. But nice buck and good eats. Take care!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
Almost forgot to mention
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 04:46:22 PM »
I killed a doe many years ago someone else had bow shot before me. Had the broadhead and maybe 6" of arrow shaft still inside of her. Was kinda too high for lungs and too low for spine. Just didn't hit anything important enough to kill her. That was quite a surprise when I opened her up.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Almost forgot to mention
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 08:28:36 AM »
Thats caused by hanging it on the wall before you release the arrow.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Almost forgot to mention
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 11:58:48 AM »
Graybeard reminds me of some sage advice I once got from a friend who happens to bowhunt.  He said that its always smart,wether you killed your deer with a bow or gun, to look it over for scars or wounds other than your own.  He said that nothing will ruin your day more than opening up you deer, pulling out all them guts only to happen along an old broadhead that slices you to heck.  At least if you spot an old wound or scar you can prepare for what could possibly be something very dangerous in there.
Brian M.
P.S. Ive heard a story of a bear that had an arrow sticking out its back hip.  Fish and Game tranqed it and tried pulling it out.  Couldnt get it out thought. Apparently the arrow was from a previous season, and the bone had healed around it lodging the broadhead permenantly inside.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Almost forgot to mention
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 02:51:22 PM »
last season I had a little buck come feeding under my stand.
he had no idea I was there. he gave me a side shot so I drew back my bow and took aim. Just as I let the arrow fly the buck turned his head and the arrow deflected off the antler and shot under him. If this buck didn't turn his head It would have been a good hit. strange thin things do happen