Author Topic: Sighting in SNAFU  (Read 492 times)

Offline ggardner

• Trade Count: (0)
Sighting in SNAFU
« on: December 07, 2004, 01:48:50 PM »
Yesterday I got my new Ruger SS 5 1/2" Redhawk in 45 Colt.  I gave it agout 2000 cycles of the action to get it smothed out a little and things are fine.  Today, I went to the range with the only ammo I could find which was 250 grain Remington round nose lead rounds.  I started at 25 yards and made some adjustments and then moved in to 20 and then 15 yards trying to find a starting point.  What a pain.  Six inch groups at 15 yards using a barracde as a rest.  
The windage sight was about to fall out of the right side before I got it lined up (hanging out about 1/16" over the right edge of the sight frame).  I shot 50 rounds without getting a good zero.  Tomorrow I will look for a more apropriate whitetail load and it's back to the range on Thursday.

Any ideas here would be welcome.  I will be rolling my own just as soon as I get the dies.  I have some good recepies you guys have been good enough to forward.  Thanks to all, Gary

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
Sighting SNAFU
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 07:47:04 AM »
Gary,  I have the same gun in.44, and have never had any problems.  The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was the possibility that the factory did not get the barrel indexed properly.  Does your front sight look like it is perfectly centered vertically?  Also, put some conscious thought toward your grip.  Are you left handed?

If you have thought through all the possible variables, and the problem still exists, I would contact Ruger, and send it back to them.  I believe that random quality control issues with all brands of firearms are getting worse.

Best of luck!

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
Sighting in SNAFU
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 08:44:10 PM »
Gary, as said above check your grip. A bud of mine just got a BFR and had the same problem. after about 100 rounds he had to move it back to center. Also those aren't the best rounds for accuracy. It's hard to find a decent loaded round for the 45 colt.
 One more thing to look at is the forcing cone. Check to see if the bullets are hitting off to one side or the other or straight on. You should be able to clearly see it on the side of the cone and it's usually on the right side. If it's off the cyl is not in alighnment and it wont shoot worth a darn.