Author Topic: Aladin / Micro grove barrels  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Billy Marr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
Aladin / Micro grove barrels
« on: November 27, 2002, 02:35:10 AM »
are at times hard to work with becuase of the shollow narow lands the bullet if pushed to fast and is of a soft alloy it will stip out. Thus cuasing leading and inacurracy. Push them slow and they seem to work fine.
lead bullets done right

Offline Aladin

Re: Aladin / Micro grove barrels
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 06:15:09 AM »
Quote from: Billy Marr
are at times hard to work with becuase of the shollow narow lands the bullet if pushed to fast and is of a soft alloy it will stip out. Thus cuasing leading and inacurracy. Push them slow and they seem to work fine.

Billy in fairness, can't the same be said of any barrel? Plenty of 6 grooves do exactly the same..

Ya see, I've got enough experience with cast barrels to say the MICRO is definitely one of the BEST cast barrels. Why? Those 12 grooves of modern day configuration offer around 20-30% more driving side height for total land area. Micro's do tend to run largish, but the first rule in cast  is using a bullet at least groove dia, preferrably something a couple thou over IF they'll chamber safely.

Truth be told-- you find just as many problems encountered by casters not paying attention to DE-tales per fit, encountering these problems in ALL types of barrels. Those not kowledgeable in cast basics tend to blame a barrel, a bullet style, the powder, the lube-- whatever. The old lame tale about micro's is about buried amongst knowledgable casters.
Aladin

"that's my story and I'm stick'n to it"

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 01:39:14 AM »
I have to chime in here and agree with Aladdin - if you get a microgroove barrel smooth enough (most aren't from the factory and need firelapping) and if you fit the bullet to the bore (and throat if present) they're about the best cast bullet barrels going. Just like Veral Smith described it, it's kind of like a spline drive socket - grips the bullets without distorting them too bad. Once it fits and is smooth, there's no worries about speed - I can't drive bullets fast enough out of my 30-30 to lead the bore at all, or get really bad accuracy. The sizing is a bit tricky though, the barrel wants a .311 bullet and the chamber will take a max. .313" - so I do need to make sure the neck section of the chamber is fairly clean to avoid pressure problems. But it sure do shoot, way better than it does with jacketed bullets.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Billy Marr

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 03:21:27 AM »
You two make some very good points. And I must try these methods. I have shot some very good six grove barrels so it stands to reason the micro grove should work.
Thanks for the info.
lead bullets done right