Author Topic: elk hunter i need help  (Read 591 times)

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
elk hunter i need help
« on: December 08, 2004, 02:08:02 PM »
ok i have killed MORE than my share of deer butnever a elk.....a buddy got drew out im going to drag out the body :-D  :-D or puts i guess.its warm now 40 to 50 deg...what do i need to do????treat me like a stepchild cause i have no idea what to do???HELP,,,,SOS...SEND IN THE CALVERY... :shock:  :shock: ...JB

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
elk hunter i need help
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 02:47:12 PM »
Hey amigo,
Go back and read your message then pretend that you are one of us. Can you figure out what you are asking? I'm having trouble.

Elwood P. Dowd
Vae Victis

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 02:55:41 PM »
WHAT DO WEDO TO KEEP MEAT GOOD IT IS NOT COLD???...DO YOU FIELD DRESS LIKE A DEER???DO YOU FIELD DRESS THEN CUT IN QUARTERS???DO WE TAKE THE HIDE OFF??? I NEVER KILLED A ELK ..DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ????DO I TREAT IT LIKE I DO MY DEER???HELP

Offline crow_feather

• Trade Count: (0)
elk hunter i need help
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 07:45:32 PM »
Don't take the hide off till your ready to process.  Treat the same as deer while in the field. Out to cool at night - insulate in shade during day.  Process as soon as possible.

Best of luck  C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
elk hunter i need help
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 03:38:44 AM »
The important thing is to cool the meat as quickly as possible.  When we hunt elk here in Arizona during the bow seasons it is pretty warm, most people consider it hot, but just a little warmer than what you are asking about.  

What you must do is get the hide off ASAP and quarter and hang as quickly as possible.  First let the meat cool the best you can during the daylight, then hang open at night and insulate during diaylight after that.  The hide is an excellent insulator and will prevent the meat from loosing heat.  Also the smaller pieces like quarter will cool faster.

As the tempature goes down the cooling race becomes less critical for making good meat.  

Another tip you might find useful is to take some vinegar with you  and make a relatively weak solution of vinegar and water.  While wearing a rubber examination glove (vinegar will burn any cuts and scrapes in your hands) with a paper towel wipe down the outside of the quarters and ribs.  This will keep the bacteria down and keep the meat bees away, and it also keeps ants away.