Author Topic: Anyone feel this way?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline mamerch

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone feel this way?
« on: December 09, 2004, 06:28:26 AM »
The first I noticed was Taurus and now Ruger...  their new pistols come with locks built in.  I guess the Ruger's will have a key somewhat like the Taurus'.  Am I the only one that plans on boycotting the new politically correct, liberally-legislated handguns???  None of my guns have ever gone off without the trigger being pulled.  I have a 1200 lb safe and my kids are all taught gun safety at nearly weekly range sessions.  I don't have a problem buying older Taurus' and Ruger's but just don't see myself buying a handgun that I have to have a key to use.  Yeah, I know, I could just unlock it and leave it that way, but I would just get Pi##$% off every time I looked at it...  just ranting...

mamerch

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 06:46:56 AM »
If Ruger goes to it you'll be hard pressed to buy a new revolver anymore then. Taurus was first, S&W second and now if Ruger does it that's all the major revolver makers especially of double actions doing it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 11:18:37 AM »
Just unlocked it and tossed the keys for my Taurus.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline mamerch

just got a new magazine last night
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 11:35:12 AM »
can't remember which of 5 or 6 I get that it was but it did have a blurb on the front about "8 new Rugers".  I read that article and all of the handguns were described as having a lock.  Even the new .500 Alaskan (I think that was the name) had a lock.  Just what the world doesn't need.  A revolver that powerful with a 2. 5 inch barrel and a lock to ensure that it won't work when 'ol griz is chawin' yer dern leg off'n....

mamerch

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 01:44:03 PM »
Unlock and hide the keys. That's the way mine are. No problem. Lawyers rule the world.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Tacoma

• Avid Poster
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 02:15:42 PM »
I'll moan, curse and boycot right up untill the time I see something I want. Then I'll buy one and toss the keys like everybody else.  To be honest,  I'm more PO'd over the MIM parts in my S&W mod 60 than I am the lock. I can at least understand ( but not agree with)  the political and legal pressure that drives the lock. MIM is a quality shortcut driven buy the desire to save a few dimes  (likely to pay for the lock). :(

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
Re: just got a new magazine last night
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 04:34:22 PM »
Quote from: mamerch
A revolver that powerful with a 2. 5 inch barrel and a lock to ensure that it won't work when 'ol griz is chawin' yer dern leg off'n...

Anyone stupid enough to venture into that type of area and not have the gun unlocked before arriving deserves to discover it's locked at the most inopprotune moment.   :twisted:

Sooner or later more and more states will start requiring these types of lock-out devices.  I'm sure many compnies are loosing big money not being legal in some states (CA, NJ, MA).  By getting in on this now, it puts these couple companies way ahead of the others in those restrcted states.  Everyone raves about Glocks or Springfields, or whatever...what happens when they have 'm too?  What happens when even everyone's beloved 1911 models are made with locks?  Will it still be so great?
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 09:06:03 PM »
Be careful tossing those keys.  Those locks have been known to lock up without the key  :?
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dusty Miller

Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 09:19:56 PM »
If it locks up without the key then its time to get out the old power drill and a sharp bit!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 12:53:53 AM »
I see the locking device as a non issue. If you dont want to use it, then dont. I would not deny myself an otherwise desirable firearm that I wanted over something like this. I am more disturbed over the current trend toward asinine political correctness that is the underlying reason behind all of this. The gun makers are only trying to survive and stay in business and if putting locks on the guns means getting the anti's off there backs and letting them continue to manufacture and  supply new toys for me....then so be it. I would rather have a gun with a lock than no gun at all. Never did make sense to me to cut your own nose off to spite your face.
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline mamerch

That's what I worry about...
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 09:41:15 AM »
just like otherwise perfectly reliable guns, cars, knives or anything else man-made and mechanical fail, I'm sure at some point a lock that is unlocked, will become locked.  Of course this will happen at the MOST inopportune time.  Seems like most of the new handguns are just reprises of the old ones, so I'll probably be buying mostly used ones from here on...  I agree about the politically correct arsewholes and the laws they create just for the pleasure of being able to push their will onto others.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 10:11:47 AM »
If you guys have seen how the locks work at least on the S&W, Taurus and Remington (I have) I cannot imagine them mysteriously become locked on their own. About the same likihood as the gun jumping up on it's own and shooting someone without human intervention. That's about the least of my concerns either way.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ed1921

• Avid Poster
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 09:11:45 AM »
Blkhawk,
Springfields already have the locks build in. You can even have old models retrofitted.
I'm stuck in Maryland, so the more companies that do it, the more choices I have.
A waste of time & effort to put locks on guns, but what can you do except vote for progun candidates.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 10:13:02 AM »
Graybeard, I have it on good authority from folks on the S&W forum that a dropped S&W with the lock CAN lock up by itself, and has done so.  Were that to happen to me,  during a serious social encounter, I believe my widow would own a large portion of Smith & Wesson, following the successful conclusion involving a bunch more lawyers!

Hey fellers, how about a class-action lawsuit against S&W for screwing up their product line in the interest of Political Correctness?  

Meanwhile, I'd avoid pitching those keys.....you might need them whether you lock the gun or not!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 06:05:30 PM »
Well maybe but for the life of me I don't see how that could occur at least not on the revolvers. I've not really paid much attention to the lock on the semi's as I've not even held one since the locks came out. On the revolvers I'd have to see it to believe it. It's just a lousy allen head screw. Ya turn it one way to lock and the other to unlock. Can't imagine dropping it causing a screw to turn. I won't say no way but will say on this one "I'm from Missouri and ya gotta show me" even if I am from Bama.  :-D

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 01:27:16 PM »
papajohn... make sure see includes the state thet "required" the lock in the lawsuit. After all don't they have to approve the locking device?  
The Ruger lock is quite unique. They have satisfied the letter of the law but made the lock so inconvenient no one will use it. As I understand it the grips have to be removed to operate the lock. It isn't even visible or easily accessible.  A little locktite should keep the screw from self tightening.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 03:45:26 PM »
What is the big deal about the locks. You can use them or ignore them.  My Rossi and Taurus have the locks and after a while you forget all about them. They are not going to lock up unexpectedly.  I have mine locked when they are stored away in the safe. But otherwise I never use the locks. And as far as what was said about a grizzly gnawing on your leg, do you go around the woods with the safety off your bolt action? I sure hope not. But one would have to be on the dense side of smart to have their revolver locked while carrying for protection.

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 08:50:08 PM »
It is simply one more piece of food for the insatiable appetite of the anti-gun monster.   One step closer to the "smart gun".  I pity the person who's gun is stolen, used in a crime and the lock was not secure.   I can see the evening news anchor, ".......apparently the owner had failed to secure the guns internal safety mechanism........charges are pending."
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Dusty Miller

Anyone feel this way?
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 06:57:56 AM »
I try not to sweat the small stuff and in my book this is small stuff indeed.  My new 629 came with a lock and key.  The key remains in the box the gun came in and I just ignore the lock, its all a matter of how you react to things.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!