Author Topic: Model 29 S&W  (Read 868 times)

Offline Riverrat

• Trade Count: (0)
Model 29 S&W
« on: December 09, 2004, 01:32:37 PM »
I have a Model 29  8&3/8" bbl. I would like to put a scope on it for close range coyote hunting, I have no experience with a scoped handgun. What kind of accuracy should I expect at 45-65 yards.

Offline Alabama26

Model 29 S&W
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 04:00:24 PM »
Hey, Riverrat.
Not to be a smarty, but how accurate is it now? If your good with an iron sighted handgun you will not see that much improvement. There are really two issues. the mechanical accuracy of the gun (a scope won't change this though it may help you make better use of it) and our human ability to use iron sights. I'm not what I use to be with iron sights. I find scopes help me reduce group sizes a lot. your results may vary. I would want to keep my groups in about 4" from field positions at the ranges I planned to shoot. I would consider an red dot sight or 2x handgun scope for what you want. I once shot a ruger redhawk with an aimpoint that would shoot 180 gr factory loads around 1" at 25yd. Sweet.

Mike

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Model 29 S&W
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 07:08:59 PM »
For your use on coyotes I think a red dot would be better. Up close even the best of handgun scopes have a pitiful FOV. Best is 21' at 100 yards. So cut that in half or less where you're talking about. Trying to get a moving coyote in the FOV and get the shot off ain't easy. If your eyes don't cut it with irons anymore look at a red dot for coyotes.

For a more direct answer to your question of accuracy the 29 should easily do 2" at 50 yards with loads it likes IF you do your part. I've shot that at 100 yards with S&Ws scoped.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Model 29 S&W
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 01:56:04 AM »
I agree with Graybeard. I took the 2X6 scope off of my .44 6years ago and replaced it with a Millet 30MM reddot. I'd have to classify that as the smartest thing I've done to a handgun. Around here a shot of over 100 yards is rare on deer and that long a shot is usually at groundhogs. I never missed the magnification & wobbles from the scope. Actually it needed to be rested to use any power over 2X. Another plus is that once I got used to the reddot I can pick it up faster than open sights, and it's a must for moving targets. Mine has a 5" dot and from a field stance at 100yds That's about the best I can expect to shoot anyway unless I were prone over a rest. I never found the dot size a problem, no matter what the "experts-who-never-owned-one" tell you.
Dave375HH

Offline palgeno

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 06:05:49 AM »
I use two 629's and in the 4" gun I use a Tasco pro 2000 ---now the JPoint---easy to use with both eyes open and quick---on the 6" 629 I took off a Leupold 2x and put on a Bushnell Holosight ---suits the longer barrel well----probably a tougher sight, but have not had any problems with either one----both are perfect out to 50-75 yds. pg
"Do what you can,with what you have, where you are."  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline trussmanypb

Model 29 S&W
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 02:36:32 PM »
Red Dot scope!  I totally agree with the above statements.. My       29 wears one and the freezer stays full.

Offline Catfish

Model 29 S&W
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 01:48:08 AM »
I, personally can stand those floating dots so I do use scoped handguns. I set up my first one in 1969 so I`ve been shooting them a good while and have learned alittle over the years. I would sat that untill you have fired several 1,000 rounds through a scoped handgun it will hurt you more than it will help when coyote hunting. The field of vision is so small in them that you have to learn to focous both eyes on the target and then move the gun in frount of your dominate eye. Just starting I would guess that you would do better with one of the dots, or iron sights.

Offline palgeno

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
dots
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 10:20:31 AM »
I use scopes on all my T/C pistol barrels----present count 14---I use tube type dots on bullseye guns----but on revolvers no more tubes whether dot or scope----chasing pigs around while trying to see through a tube just does not work for me----give me a screen type dot or open sights---but the dot is definitely quicker since there is nothing to align----just get the dot on target and touch 'er off!!!!!   Dead pig and the dog is still alive,too!!! :twisted:   pg
"Do what you can,with what you have, where you are."  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
Model 29 S&W
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 01:29:50 PM »
Red Dots win
I have a 7.5" SBH and a 7.5" Rh. One mounted with a 2x, the other a red dot. The dot won out to better accuracy at the bench, and being able to acquire the target quicker, And yes I did swithch the scope and the Red dot. The 30mm is for me alot better than the 1" tube(20mm).
Jim