Author Topic: Kel-Tec 3AT extraction problem  (Read 614 times)

Offline Will

• Trade Count: (0)
Kel-Tec 3AT extraction problem
« on: December 09, 2004, 02:33:41 PM »
Hey guys,

I just bought a new Kel tec .380 for CCW, and I really like the gun. But, I took it out for the first round of shooting today and had problems with it extracting spent cases. It's also tough to extract chambered rounds without an extremely brisk slide motion. I'm hoping that since it's new the springs are just very heavy and need some more breaking in. The slide seems overly heavy to retract.
I put 50 rounds of S&B hardball and a few hydra-shoks through it, and at first, it was jamming every two or three shots. It was shooting better by the end of the session, but I still had a few bobbles. I plan to polish the chamber and slide rails and such, but I was wondering if this was a common problem. Should I be thinking about sending it back to the manufacturer?
Even without grocery stores, I won't go hungry.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 04:45:34 PM »
I put about 250 rounds through my .380 Kel-Tec P3AT before it "smoothed up" and stopped having jamming problems, but now it seems to be doing just fine... it even feeds the aluminum-cased CCI Blazer ammo now.  At first, it jammed constantly while using Blazer ammo.  But after it passed the 250 round "mark", everything seemed to get better.

During the last 100 rounds of the 350 total rounds put through it so far, including (in the last 100 rounds), there was about 30 rounds of Blazer Ammo and 10 rounds of the +P ammo with the big cavities in the nose of the bullet that were used... and it fed without a "hitch".

In all fairness, I must say that I am using bullets with LARGE hollow-points in the nose of the bullet, not "ball" ammunition... but it now feeds the hollow points without jamming whereas during the first 200 or 250 rounds, it failed to feed, jammed or stove-piped quite a bit.

I'd give your P3AT a little more use... and if it still has problems, THEN send it back to Kel-Tec without hesitation.

My hunting buddy had to send his P3AT back to Kel-Tec in Florida... and when he got it back (about 3 weeks later), it worked flawlessly.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Japle

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 02:03:11 PM »
KelTec has a new extractor.  They'll sent it free - just give them a call.
I had the same problem, though not as bad.  The new extractor solved it.
Make sure you have a padded vice or something similar, then the install isn't too hard.

John
Cape Vanaveral
John
Cape Canaveral