Author Topic: Ballistic tips for whitetail  (Read 1172 times)

Offline j.trevor123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ballistic tips for whitetail
« on: December 12, 2004, 12:40:05 PM »
Hey everyone i am going hunting and am wondering how the Federal nosler ballistic tips do on whitetail. I will be shooting around max 100 yrds. I have sierra gamekings but would rather use the BTs because they shoot better in my rifle. How do they do?? ohh i use a .270 with 130  gr. BT if anyone is curious

Offline Arkie-06

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 01:31:08 PM »
I believe they are a very good bullet for Whitetails, I have  shot a few  with the 270 also useing the 130 grain Ballistic- Tips and they were  outstanding. I think 100 yards would be an ideal range for them to perform the way they are designed to. If you hit him  good , he'll be in the frezzer for sure.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Makes a man Healthy, Wealthy and Wise. :-)

Offline johnboyncsu

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 06:22:54 PM »
I've been using winchester ballistic tips for about three years and they have worked well for me.  I also shoot a 270 and took a deer at a little over 100 yards this season and one last year at less than 10 yards.  The bullet went all the way through in both cases.  I have also hit a doe in the head with a ballistic tip and it did a lot of damage.

Offline jonr

.270 140 grn BT's
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 03:18:58 AM »
I have taken 3 deer this year with a .270 Remington 140 grain ballistic tip bullets.
They ranged from 50 to 125 yards. All bullets performed well.
The main reason I use this bullet is accuracy in my 7400.

I am going to probably try the new accubonds since I just ran out of these 140 grains last night. :)
Reason being the BT's always have gone all the way through (which is good) but, the also do pretty severe damage. I had one rupture the gut cavity on a doe last night b/c the bullet expands so violently. It was a good behind the shoulder shot.
Figure with the accubond expansion will be a little more controlled with hopefully the same accuracy.

Take care.

Jonr

Offline insanelupus

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 05:27:00 AM »
Guess I'm always the odd guy out!!!!  I've used ballistic tips on 3 or 4 deer and I finally decided to quit using them.  I was using them out of a 700 Police Remington .308, with 165 grain Remington Ballistic Tip factory fodder.  

As I recall the original use of ballistic tips was for violent expansion on varmits.  Now this is a pretty neat show to watch through a scope for those of us sick minded to oohh and aahh over it, (myself included), but for deer I'd stick with the plain ol' soft point.  

The deer I shot were at ranges from 20 yards to 125 yards.  Each deer took multiple shots to put down, even though each had been heart and/or lung shot.  (I try not to shoot through the shoulder but directly behind it to save some meat).  Seemed to me, that at extremely close ranges, the bullet slowed down enough after it passed through the innards to expand on the off side.  Making for a messy carcass.  One spike buck I shot at 20 yards, ran 25 yards parallell to me.  As soon as he stopped I squeezed off a second shot, he ran about 10 yards and fell over dead.  The one place he stopped had a puddle of blood like you'd sloshed it out with a paint bucket.

The other deer showed similar wound cavities.  While I realize that eventually they would die, I much prefer the one shot one kill theory, and I would rather save the off side shoulders from getting blown up.  In my own personal opinion, ballistic tips are better reserved for critters you want a light show effect from,not something you're going to consume for food.
"My feeling is this, give him pleanty of time, pleanty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me.  That's all I ask." 

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 04:00:39 PM »
I just shot my doe w/ a .243 and 95 grain ballistic tips. At 20 yards, I put two shots into her b/c it looked like she was gonna get up after the first shot. When we skinned her out, the entrance and exit holes were unbelievable. They dropped her...for all intensive purposes...but wow. It does damage. That really didn't help b/c she had a good amount of fat on her anyway. Just something to consider. I did look into the Remington Scirocco Bonded bullets b/c it supposedly has the accuracy of a ballistic tip yet has the bond of a Core-Lokt. Next year  :roll: .  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 04:16:08 PM »
We have used BT's for years for whitetail as well as Antelope last year.  All were one shot animal down.  Ranges from 25 yds to 250 yds.  They do make a big hole.  Also we always had an exit hole.  The only reason I would use something else is because of the big exit holes.  Typically the size of my fist or bigger.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 05:24:26 AM »
I shoot the ballistic tips in my 7 mag and sierra pro hunters in my 7-08.  The reason for the ballistic tips is the bench quality accuracy I get from my 7 mag.  Overall bullet performance is o.k., but you can run into some fragmenting problems with shots under 75 yards and with bone(shoulder) shots, particularly if the bullet is really moving fast.  There are other bullets that I have observed to have more ideal performance on deer ( i.e. scirocco), but for me, especially in my long range gun, accuracy is first and formost.

The sierra pro hunters in my 7-08 have been perfect for woods hunting and will shoot about .8 @ 100 yds from this gun.  Plenty good enough and I don't have to worry about bullet performance at 15 or 20 yards.

I will be working with some of the bonded bullets this summer to see if the "do all and be all" bullet really exists.

My 2 cents,

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline ufgators68

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 02:39:59 AM »
I've got a video of what a 30-06 & a Federal vital*shok 165 gr nosler ballistic tip will do to a 120 lb doe at 75 yards, if you'd like to see it...lol. Both of these are the same video, the first link is 10 mb and is by far the best one to watch. The second link is 5 mb and loads quicker for dialup but it's not as easy to see.

http://users.dixieconnect.com/rebnbit/Video/doekill.wmv

http://users.dixieconnect.com/rebnbit/Video/doekill2.wmv
Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it takes only 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack them  upside the head.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 04:58:46 AM »
Don't like them worth a crap for anything except varmints.  I have had 3 bad experiences (deer running off 400-1mile after lethal hit).  I quit using them 7-8 years ago and will never use them again.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 10:27:29 PM »
I use 168 gr ballistic silver tips in my .3006...................Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"