Author Topic: Tracker II Slug guns  (Read 631 times)

Offline kevtn

• Trade Count: (0)
Tracker II Slug guns
« on: December 13, 2004, 02:33:19 PM »
How are the rifle sights that come on them? I am thinking of keeping open sights for a while instead of a scope. Are there any modifications or other sights you would recommend.  Thanks

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Tracker II Slug guns
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 04:06:50 PM »
kevtn, the open sights are sufficient for woods hunting. I would however suggest getting the barrel drilled and tapped by a GOOD gunsmith and mounting a H&R scope rail. Then mount a nice red dot or shotgun scope with plenty of eye relief (otherwise you WILL cut open your eyebrow with the scope!!!, I did!!). The red dot or shotgun scope really allow you to take advantage of the accuracy these fine guns offer. If you have trouble locating a smith to do the critical work in drilling and tapping the 12 gauge barrel my smith here on Cape Cod has done a couple for me and done some for others on this board as well, all are very satisfied, his work is impeccable, reasonable and fairly quick turnaround time...Good Luck!!! (P.S. did you get my PM on the barrel?)..Merry CHRISTmas....<><.... :grin:

P.S. - with the 20 gauge Tracker just about any good gunsmith could do the job....
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline kevtn

• Trade Count: (0)
Tracker II Slug guns
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 05:17:52 PM »
Thanks for your help. I did get your pm and I am going to check about shipping tommorrow, also I have some local guys interested in the gun, but I will let you know.  When you have the Tracker drilled and tapped do you use the scope rail from NE. What would be a good scope for that gun?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Tracker II Slug guns
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 02:28:46 AM »
I like my $28.00 Simmons 3-mm Red Dot the best on my shotgun. I have a 2.5x20 Tasco shotgun scope (got it after I shot the gun with a nice old Weaver 4x and after about the 4th shot leaned a bit close on the bench and cut my right eyebrow open!!) which I replaced with the Red Dot to try, it worked so great it stayed there!!!. I personally have never liked Bushnell products but many here do, just bad experiences for me in the past with their cheaper lines I guess, I hear they make a couple of nice variable shotgun scopes, get a good one if you do, perhaps the 3200 elite series. I have had great luck with Simmons Scopes and Red Dots and others here don't like them, the old Ford vs. Chevy argument I guess. By the way, I never liked Red Dots much until I tried them with an open mind, now I have a nice Millet 1" Red Dot on my .22 Mag coyote gun also, and so do 3 of my hunting buddies after trying mine!!! They all have the same $28.00, 30mm Simmons and not a complaint among us!!! (Wholesale Hunters Warehouse or something like that, if your interested let me know and I'll look it up for sure)....<><.... :grin:

(edit) Forgot to answer one of your questions....yes, use the H&R scope rail, either the standard or the Ultra rail, the Ultra rail is an inch longer at 6" and has a stabilizing screw in the front section. Use the H&R rails instead of the weaver since the H&R's have several cross slots cut into them which allow many variations of mounting location and they fit many more long and short scopes....
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Tracker II Slug guns
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 04:00:23 PM »
kevtn, I had gone to using a scope for my rimfire hunting and centerfire shooting, but I have found the "partridge style" sights on the Tracker II to be very useable! This does depend somewhat on where you hunt, but I can't picture planning a hunt for much over  100 yds. with a shotgun......
The open sights allpw FAST  target (deer) acquisition....this was definately an advantage for my one day hunt Sat. after TD.....see my post........"Tracker II Hunting Report......" ,  in this forum.
I'm staying with open sights for my ML hunt that starts for 5 days    on Thursday.....

In the hilly, rolling forest where I hunt, there is a lot of heavy bruxh, with very few open areas....If you   spot a deer at 100yds, that's all you can see is a glimpse......most opportunities for a shot present themselves  at 60 yds or less......

I've been able to get respectable groups with the Tracker II @ 50 and 100 yds  at the range, even with the open sights.
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!