Author Topic: Rack shrinkage  (Read 456 times)

Offline borg1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Rack shrinkage
« on: December 14, 2004, 06:18:23 AM »
Hi all,

I arrowed a 10pt buck on November 6th, 2004.  The green score (gross) is 135 1/8 P&Y.  The net green score is 131 P&Y.  How much shrinkage can i expect over the 60 day drying period required by P&Y.  Also, i have the head in the freezer currently.  is this the best place to keep it or should i be allowing it to air dry at room temps?

thanks

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Rack shrinkage
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 12:15:44 PM »
About zero to 1/2" shrinkage in the spread is normal. The rest will not shrink at all, as it is hardened material. Shouldn't matter much whether you keep it in the freezer or not, but P&Y may have some rules on this.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline borg1

• Contributor
Rack shrinkage
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 02:45:35 AM »
Thanks Huntsman.  is that picture of a rack you killed?  if so, NICE deer!!!

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Rack shrinkage
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 04:06:15 AM »
Borg,

I had an incredible stroke of luck last year. We always kill nice deer in the 130-150 class off the land we hunt, but last year this buck showed up from nowhere. He had 16 points, three triple-forked tines, and was only 3.5 years old. Scored 176 and change gross and netted 169 even B&C. It was the best case of "ground swelling" (as opposed to ground shrinkage) I have ever experienced. Needless to say, the buck of a lifetime. I still enjoy just gazing at him up on the wall.

By the way, congrats on your bow kill, also. I haven't been able to score on any deer yet in two years of trying with a bow. We don't have the best setup for bow hunting, though. Travel is too spread out and unpredictable. Also the weather here is lousy for bow hunting during October, too durned HOT.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline borg1

• Contributor
Rack shrinkage
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 04:48:44 AM »
Thanks.

Good hunting ground producing bucks like that is awesome.  Try to keep the land just as it is, and i bet more  bucks will be attracted to it.

In VA, the buck i killed is considered a monster.  Folks don't let the deer get very old here.  What's ever more rare is a deer older than 3.  The one i killed was either 5 or 6.

The picture with my posts was one i killed three years ago.  he scored 119 PY.  I've killed two others in the last two years that were 120 class bucks.  Thus, i am hoping my latest kill makes the minimum for PY.

I promised my wife i would not do a full shoulder mount on a deer unless it netted 150 or better.  Congrats again on that deer, it is truly a buck of a lifetime.