Author Topic: new guy  (Read 597 times)

Offline czbuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
new guy
« on: December 14, 2004, 03:52:12 PM »
:D  well i have decided to get the tdc in 12 gauge for turkey only . after looking at eaa and tompson center i hope it well shoot a good pattern. so you lucky guys thats got one what size is the vent rib and how does it shoot  and eny sugestion on load and choke  thanks
it only takes one shot.if ya need more.go sight in your gun!!!

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Welcome
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 05:02:03 PM »
Hey cz, welcome to the world of H&R and NEF stuff :D My post isn't going to be real informative but it is a hearty hello.

Load and chokes for turkeys...Well one idea is to buy a few different turkey loads available to you and try them out. As for chokes, the TDC (and all H&R/NEF shotguns)  use the Browning Invector chokes. There are some nice aftermarket turkey chokes available as well. If you wanna do some reading, hit the search button and ask for turkey chokes, then specify the H&R shotgun forum. This should fin you a bit more useful info than what I have to offer.

As a side note, my TDC should be in Thursday or Friday of this week. might shoot a bit of trap Saturday... :grin:

Nixter

Offline czbuff

• Avid Poster
new guy
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 03:25:17 PM »
:shock: sorry it took so long to reply and yes i know moosberg chokes well fit i was just hoping for replies what choke and load some of you guys are shooting soory for the confusion

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
new guy
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 12:55:58 AM »
czbuff;
I dont have a topper deluxe (yet) but my #1 spring gobbler rig is a partner with a 24inch tk special barel that i ordered through the barrel acc. program.

As chokes go....standard browning/winchester/mossberg will fit.
I really dont think (brand) of tube makes much difference but the amount of constriction is going to depend on barel lengh, and shot size.

on mine i went with a KICKS .655 x-tra full turkey tube. Which is a lot better than the tube that came with the barrel.
It extended the turkey killing patterns from about 30 to 50yards.

this set-up will pattern almost the same with #5 or #6 shot sizes so i hunt with the heavier #5
Winchester or federal 3in mag turkey loads patterned the best.

I tried to pattern the 3.5inch loads but my shoulder just could not take that kind of abuse......recoil was (in a word) brutal!!!!

let us know how it shoots.

TCB

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
new guy
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 06:13:47 AM »
seemy post on "you wanted a range repot" it has my choice of choke for turkey and how well it patterned (wasnt a factory nef barrel). for turkeys i prefer remington high brass premier turkey in #6 or #7 1/2
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
new guy
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 10:51:29 AM »
I have used 3in fed #4's & a .655 tube with good results, Also remington's duplex load of 4&6's combined in one shell, the 3 1/2's #5 fed worked well too but kill on one end & maim on the other. Get a good recoil pad like a sm or med (can't remember the size) grind to fit limb saver fit it & a past recoil pad you wear. set up your targets & shoot from the position you will hunt in up against a tree etc. Get a # of differ't loads & bang away

Enjoy :biggun:
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline JRSR126

TDC Range Report
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 08:29:04 PM »
Went to range today with the TDC. Was difficult to pattern gun because of a dual between several shooters to see who could do the quickest rapid fire shots from their military assault rifes. I modified my TDC beforehand with a Truglo fiber optic bead and put fish weighs and #6 shot topped by candle wax in the stock cavity behind the recoil pad, as suggested in this forum. Worked great, better balance and no rattle. Also polished the chamber with toothpaste as recommended by turkey Hunter. My pattern test was at 10 yd and 50 yd due to available target holders.

I shot both 3" 1-3/4 oz 5 shot Remington high velocity turkey loads and 2-3/4" 1-1/2 oz 6 shot Winchester turkey loads (no logic except what was in stock).  I used a HS undertaker turkey choke from Galyans.  I used a Quaker Boy Hunter's first choice turkey patterning chart.

At 10 yds, I was disappointed in the Remington's pattern (2 shots). Patterns had allot of side drift with a 20" width and flyers.  My center of pattern was off about 2". Still good concentration of shot at pattern's center and one dead turkey.  Forgot to shoot 2-3/4 at this range.

At 50 yds, took 3 shots with Remington 3" loads.  Results were disappointing but I was really streching the limit. Recoil was brutal especially with a t shirt. However recoil should be Ok for hunting. I don't miss not having the TDC in 3-1/2 chamber and I weigh 280 lbs. One shell failed to eject but when I paid attention to chamber lubrication, as suggested, I had no more problems. Polishing did help.

shot 1 - 11 hits in 12" circle, 1 hit in turkey vitals (looks like I missed left)
shot 2 - 28 hits in 12" circle, 3 hits in turkey vitals (looks like I missed left
shot 3 - 22 hits in 12" circle, 1 hit in turkey vitals (pattern spilt on both sides of turkeys neck)

At 50 yds, took 2 shots with Winchester 2-3/4 loads. Recoil more tolerable. Penetration may be an issue at his range and shot size.

shot 1 - 31 hits in 12" circle, 11 hits in turkey vitals
shot 2 - 31 hits in 12" circle, 2 hits in turkey vitals (missed left)

Conclusion is I need to make a bigger target board 3'x3'  and nail down my center of pattern better at close range. I think that would have definintly improved the Remington load's performance.   Also need to focus on 40 yds as the maximum range for hunting with this gun. I had no choice at the range because that was where the backer board was. On some of the shots especially when I took my jacket off, the expected recoil may have hurried my shot. The constant barrage from the assault weapons also affected my patience and possibly the results. Need to go to a friend's place where you can get more done on patterning then at the range.  Am concerned on a couple of patterns that they split evenly around the turkey's neck. I would not call any of my patterns I shot today uniform. I looking at the Hevi Shot and choke for better uniformity but just to test them would be expensive. If I can't improve my consistency, I may elect for some turkey sights. Obviously I need more practice before Turkey season. Had allot of fun today safely and that whats counts. Really enjoy this forum and the advice

Offline czbuff

• Avid Poster
new guy
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 04:48:03 PM »
:D sorry it took so long. i have been running my dogs. for the past week   my pups are coming along fine. eny way the reason i ask is im thinking of getting a tdc for turkey. and turkey only . i think it would be the best choice. for me and the chepest to thanks for all the replies.