Author Topic: Parallax Adjustment  (Read 639 times)

Offline Nightrain52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Parallax Adjustment
« on: December 18, 2004, 04:39:53 PM »
Ok-I have seen many explanations of what parallax is and what it does. What I want to know is how to adjust  the scope for the correct distance. The scope I am using has the adjustment on the forward bell with what looks like different yardage markings to line up with a small white line on the scope body however the yardage markings don't seem to correlate with the actual yardage your target is away from you. If i turn the adjustment till all things are clear the markings are way off. Can someone clear up what is going on. Thanks. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Parallax Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 06:05:15 PM »
AO indexing is just to get it close, none of mine are exact even on my elite 4200. Simple way is to place the rifle on bags so it is stabile, adjust the AO to a target at 100yds, or 50yds, whatever. Look thru the scope and move your head around while watching the reticle on the target. When the AO is correctly focused, the reticle will not move on the target. If the reticle moves when you move, the amount of movement on the target is the parallax error. If shooting at a known range, I make a mental note of the AO position for future reference. Some shooters make new marks, it's up to you. Hope this is clear, no pun intended. :wink:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bad Bob

• Avid Poster
The eyepiece adjustment
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 11:23:57 AM »
makes a big difference in the distance and the actual number on the scope bell.  My old eyes now have to have all eyepieces turned WAY out for me to focus the reticle.  Makes a big difference in the numbers and yardage.  IMO.

Offline Bad Bob

• Avid Poster
The eyepiece adjustment
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 12:19:58 PM »
makes a big difference in the distance and the actual number on the scope bell.  My old eyes now have to have all eyepieces turned WAY out for me to focus the reticle.  Makes a big difference in the numbers and yardage.   I like the scopes with the new AE, adjustable eye piece, that screws in and out for me and the kids also.  But  Ime a little different in scopes cause I learned from Airguns that the Bushnell Trophy doesn't have much competition , so I use one  on my high powers also.  If a mangum airgun can't break it no highpower will come close.  They all have the new AE.

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
Parallax Adjustment
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 02:10:40 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
AO indexing is just to get it close

Your absolutley correct Quickdtoo.

And if you really want to get in depth about parallax, here is some good reading material:

http://users.bestweb.net/~ateamh/A%20Team%20Parallax%20adj.htm

MO

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Parallax Adjustment
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 12:06:17 PM »
If the ocular focus is done properly, the x-hair should never be out of focus. Yes, you should be able to tune out parallax at any range within the AO's range. Keep in mind that many AO's won't adjust for close range, although some will go as low as just a few feet, most are 30yd or more. The only time I've experienced target out of focus or lack of resolution after proper adjustment of the AO/ocular lense was on a defective or cheap scope.

Here's a good write up on scope set up.
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24915
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain