Author Topic: Rifled slugs/ smooth bore/ choke tubes  (Read 602 times)

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Rifled slugs/ smooth bore/ choke tubes
« on: December 19, 2004, 03:14:44 AM »
This past spring i mig welded a steel scope base onto a 24inch tk special barrel then mounted a tasco red dot.
I kinda set it up for a spring turkey rig.....works great...just put the red dot on the target, pull the trigger, game over!!

Well, that little red dot on a still target looked so good that i just had to know how it would shoot with slugs.

so i went to wal-mart....they had winchester superX (foster type) slugs 15rnd. box for $5.67.

I screwed in a browning mod. choke tube and set up a paper plate target at 50yards.

after about 4 shots to zero the sight this thing will put all the slugs in to the same hole!!!!

I know that most who have them are getting some outstanding accuracy out of the tracker rifled slug barrels.
but i would not have believed that a smooth bore would shoot this good!!!

Rifles are legal where i hunt for deer....but this rig would be really nice to carry when deer, turkey, and small game seasons are open at the same time.....just break er down change shells and your good to go.

TCB

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 04:07:53 AM »
Tcallbuilder, I am shooting my 24" 12 gauge barrel with a red dot after having my gunsmith drill and tap the barrel (he used larger scope rail screws and custom mounted a H&R rail for me) and Brenneke-Rottweil MP slugs at $4.19 a box and am getting the same ragged hole at 50 yards. I no longer shoot my Tracker II barrel, which buy the way I also had drilled and tapped and a H&R scope rail custom mounted. I may however shoot it today, I got some of those Dixie Express 3" (Exterminator?) 740 gram slugs to try, they should kill at both ends!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 04:38:20 AM »
MSP,
Is your 24inch barrel a fixed choke or tube system?
And what choke are you shooting slugs through? (full, modified, improved cyclinder)?

I used a modified.....i cant imagine any of the others shooting any better!!

Dont mean to be a pest.....just kinda courious about it.

Ive never expermented much with smoothbore slugs.....sure didnt know that they could be so accurate.

TCB

Offline jeff223

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 04:42:04 AM »
as more and more people get into these low dollar shotguns you will keep hearing these good reports about them.the slugguns shoot very good as you have found.in most cases at 100 yards and less these slugguns will out shoot the handi rifles.there is one fellow that was getting a 6inch group at 100yards with a smooth bore 20ga and $1.99 per box of foster slugs.that would be RV Stallard or mag41vance as he goes by now.great guns for sure pallet wood and all :-D

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 05:28:10 AM »
I am still using my Pardner 20 ga youth model with the shorter barrel and stock for deer hunting. I have had great luck with winchester foster slugs (6 shots=6 deer). I still use just the bead front sight but after Christmas I plan on trying to contact MSP ret's gunsmith to see if I can get a set-up like he has. ( LOL I even glued an old set of sights from a muzzleloader on it once to see if that would work better than my present set-up. I shot just about the same. With my eyes the back site is just a blur anymore so it was back to the bead)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 06:37:04 AM »
My 24" 12 gauge barrel has the screw in choke tubes. I was shooting the modified tube but I now have the Imp. Cylinder tube in it and it shoots great also, not much real difference in the groups. It will take some real serious range work to determine which is better. One thing for certain, any deer at 50-75 yards and possibly out to 100 yards will NEVER know the difference....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley