Author Topic: older h&r shotguns  (Read 955 times)

Offline ottawa rogue

• Trade Count: (0)
older h&r shotguns
« on: December 19, 2004, 06:14:20 AM »
Is there any upgrades available for us guys that own older model 88s? my brother in law owns a new pardner, and he's talking about getting a barrel with screw in chokes, i'd sure like something like that for my 80s era topper.
thanks, Bryan

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
older h&r shotguns
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 06:41:53 AM »
Not through H&R. They will not fit barrels to your older gun. What you can do is buy a used barrel and put it on, if it does not fit properly with help from members here you can fit it yourself. If it is one on those that is just so far out of whack with your reciever just put it up for sale thru this site and it will get sold to someone else whose gun it would probably fit better. Merry Christmas and do not be afraid of the process, as they say, it's not brain surgury!!! or is it?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ottawa rogue

older h&r shotguns
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 09:04:37 AM »
good, i was hoping that would be the case. i oughta go out and just buy a new one, but i've had this gun since 1982, it is my first gun. besides, it shoots good, except for the misfire problems i've been having lately.
THanks, Bryan

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
older h&r shotguns
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 09:19:00 AM »
hammer spring could be getting weak wich could cause misfires
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline ottawa rogue

older h&r shotguns
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 09:34:37 AM »
i thought about that too, so i had the gun inpected by a smith, he found no problems. it seems that it only has problems with thes particular shell, which really sucks. you should have seen the gobbler i had a bead on yesterday! so needless to say, i've kinda lost confidence in this gun for the moment, gonna have to resort to the remington for the rest of the season :(
bryan

Offline ottawa rogue

older h&r shotguns
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 09:37:15 AM »
Hey, do you guys think i could get away with a pistol caliber barrel on this frame? i know that nef says no, but H&R used to sell shotguns with 30-30 barrels included

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
older h&r shotguns
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 09:49:04 AM »
i think so, as long as you stay small like .357, 357 max , .44, 30-30, 45-70 maybe.
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline Wildcat Crazy

older h&r shotguns
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 06:10:52 PM »
The H&R barrel can be reamed and threaded for a choke sleeve.

I have tried a number of different barrels on my Model 088,none of them would quite lock up.I fitted a 20 ga and another 12 ga. barrel to my action by stoning the locking ramp on the barrels.

I have lined 2 H&R shotguns converting them to rifles.The first one was chambered in .32 S&W,I later rechambered it to a .38 Spl. necked to .32 caliber.I used .30 M1 loading data for it.This barrel was later rechambered to a .357 Mag.case necked to .32 caliber,some of my loads were probably
approaching 40,000 lbs.I never had any problems with either the gun or ammo.

I presently have a Model 088 with a barrel sleeved to .30 caliber,it is chambered to the .30 HLS CHEAPSKATE.The chamber is cut with the .30-06 reamer to a depth of 1.635,the rim recess is cut .062 deep,.520 dia.
Cases are formed from .445 Supermag. trimmed to 1.625 using a shortened 30-06 fl die.Case capacity is almost the same as the 7.62x39
and I use that data for loading.

I have never experienced any problems with this gun or cartridge ,so who knows what pressures the H&R 088 will actually contain?

WC