Author Topic: Who carries a pistol in the woods?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline longwalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Handgub in the woods
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2005, 12:51:40 PM »
If you are worried about the bears, get a bigger gun. It will be an ambush if a bear wants to get you. Try hunting with a handgun like a 44 magnum. It will do you good service killing deer and would be fine if a big toothy critter was coming from close range!

Longwalker

Offline IowaBuckHunter

Who carries a pistol in the woods?
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2005, 05:23:53 AM »
All I am saying is that you don't need a 500 s&w to kill deer.  save that for the moose and bear.  Why pay $2.50 a shot for the 50 cal when you can pay $.60 a shot for the 44.  You obviously havent shot the 500 have you?  If you want the absolute best deer cartiridge- buy a 460, you will love it.  I was fortunate enough to get my hands on one before they are available.  It is nice to have connections.  it IS the most accurate handgun, and have ranges up to 250 yds.  And there is no more recoil than a 44.
Accuracy doesn't come from the arrow, it comes from the Indian!

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2005, 12:08:41 PM »
I ALWAYS carry a sidearm in the woods. Either a .45 acp (min), a 45 Long Colt, or a 44 mag. Never leave home without one.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2005, 04:09:26 AM »
this year, will carry my Ruger  P345 45, but I really doubt I'll see a bear in northern Oklahoma :shock: .....but they did find a dead cougar  about 30 miles south of where I hunt along the railroad tracks..they beleive it hitched a ride ?? , but who knows....people always reporting seeing big cats, but no proof except he one above....but, you never know. About 20 miles from where I hunt, a guy keeps a full grown Tiger in a pen.......I think he's nuts. :?

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2005, 09:23:51 PM »
:cb2: I'm a handgun hunter first, so my rifle is only for something I might see that is out of handgun range. Sometimes I'm even crazy enough to carry two: one scoped and one not. It usually depends on where I am and how I'm set up.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline NONYA

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2005, 06:08:12 AM »
Here in Montana its part of the outfit,rare to see someone in the hills w/o one,we have BIG bears to worry about.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline wolfsong

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2005, 08:40:29 PM »
With the explosion of mountain lion encounters in the Sierra mountains, foothills and even in the cities, I NEVER leave home without one of my .40s (usually my Sig). While my chances, once a big cat is on me, would be slim, I like my chances with a pistol rather than a long gun. With cats, by the time you see em, it's probably too late. Not too concerned with black bears, but I think I'm ready with a .40. I always carry my Ruger .357 GP 100 when I'm pig hunting, been chased a time or two by a pi#@ed off "dead" hog. Then ther's them two legged critters that some one else mentioned. Gotta look out for the ignorant poachers (think about what happened in Wisco). Not that a hand gun would have helped those guys, but ya gotta take every advantage that ya can. Plus, if you were to get hurt and had to fire off the three shot emergency thing, I'd rather use a hand gun. IMHO you should NEVER leave home without your sidearm, NEVER! Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD HELP CALIFORNIA

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2005, 01:35:26 PM »
Ruger Security Six in 357 Mag with 4" barrel shooting Winchester Supreme 180-gr. Partition Gold ammo.
45 ACP 230-gr. Double Tap Gold Dot = 1,010 fps / 15.3" & .95"    :D

Aim for the Triangle Area between armpits & throat.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2005, 05:29:25 PM »
:cb2: Even when just strolling through the woods I'm carrying something. It may be a .38 a .44 or something in between. Coyotes are on the rise in our neck of the woods, and if I stumble across one, I'm gonna take a shot. It's my civic duty. (Just gotta watch out for the horses and the neighbor's cattle. Oh, and my cousin's goat.) We also have a lot of copperheads, cottonmouths and rattlers, though they don't worry me very much. They usually head the other way—but occasionally one is caught off guard, gets belligerent, and has to be shown the error of his ways. Then there's always the evil turtles who plague the lake.

Packin' in the woods (unless hunting) is uaually just a fun thing to do, and I just don't get enough fun.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2005, 05:24:12 AM »
I carry my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter when I am in the woods hunting whitetail.  This is my up close and personal piece...35 yards or less for now.  That is until I become more proficient at longer range.  Until then, I carry my Rifled Slug gun too...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Smokem

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2005, 05:11:04 AM »
Year number 3 for my SRH .454. This is my deer hunting firearm in Maine.
Gun Control = Hitting your target.