Author Topic: "big gun" as back-up  (Read 813 times)

Offline Totin'a10

• Trade Count: (0)
"big gun" as back-up
« on: December 20, 2004, 12:48:38 PM »
I guess I'm hangin' out on this site tonight.

Do any of you folks (who carry a BUG ) use the larger or less concealeable gun for a back-up and your more concealeable/comfortable/familiar gun for a primary?

I ask this because I've found that it is my big bore snubby thats "always with me" rather than my "take it when I can" artillary. It makes sense to me because the "quick aquisition/point-shoot" is more natural (to me) with the snubby or even the 3" revolver than with the semi-autos.

Also the fact that muzzle contact may be an issue as well as coat pocket carry.  Thanks, be safe.
What goes around comes around!!! 8)

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: "big gun" as back-up
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 01:46:43 PM »
Quote from: Totin'a10
I guess I'm hangin' out on this site tonight.

Do any of you folks (who carry a BUG ) use the larger or less concealeable gun for a back-up and your more concealeable/comfortable/familiar gun for a primary?

I ask this because I've found that it is my big bore snubby thats "always with me" rather than my "take it when I can" artillery. It makes sense to me because the "quick aquisition/point-shoot" is more natural (to me) with the snubby or even the 3" revolver than with the semi-autos.

Also the fact that muzzle contact may be an issue as well as coat pocket carry.  Thanks, be safe.

My backup/off duty gun is a S&W Airweight® Mdl37. I practice with it every other week or so; 100-150 rounds each time. Because of this I usually shoot better with it than my larger handguns.

I certainly subscribe to Ruark's "Use Enough Gun" theory. The caveat however is not "What You Shoot", rather it's; "How You Shoot".  The small gun in hand ALWAYS beats the large gun at home.
ONLY HITS COUNT!
Be safe & Check your Six.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
"big gun" as back-up
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 03:49:45 PM »
dawei:  I like your choice of back-up, except that I would make it a pair of them as I am a firm believer in the ol Neu Yawk Reload - a second gun the same as the first.  

totin' - it's kind of tough for the average mortal man to effectively conceal one big bore snubby, much less two of them but my backup is just another 1911, so who am I to talk (lol).  How so ever, if one is good for you, two is even better.  Just my opinion of course.  Mikey.

Offline Daveinthebush

"big gun" as back-up
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 05:13:53 PM »
....100-150 yds each time....

I usually practice a little closer myself, eyes getting old. :roll:
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline williamlayton

"big gun" as back-up
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 12:53:34 AM »
I, most generally, have a larger caliber and larger gun, in the truck.
Doan yell the theories, thats just the way I choose to do it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Re: "big gun" as back-up
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 01:43:56 AM »
Quote from: dawei
[My backup/off duty gun is a S&W Airweight® Mdl37. I practice with it every other week or so; 100-150 yds each time. Because of this I usually shoot better with it than my larger handguns.quote]

Just what kind of group are you getting with a 2" .38 at 150 yds?
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
"big gun" as back-up
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 02:43:56 AM »
2 dolla:  dawei may have made a typo, and may mean 100-150 rounds per session.  That's about what I do with my Airweight Bodyguard or my Airweight M37 and I have a bunch of fun with them.  Try one in each hand - hoooo boy...  If you have a range that will allow you to skip cans, or hang used cans from the shooting frame you can really improve your close in shooting skills and have a heck of a time doing it.

But, for the 100 yard shots, and there are a whole bunch of guys who shoot snubbies, mostly 38 snubbies, at silly-wets and the like, you can have an incredible amount of fun dongin' the gong at 100 yds.

I don't know how the handgun silhouette games are shot today but when I enjoyed that sport there were two different set-ups:  one for big bore magnum type and single shots from 50 - 200 yds and then one for small bore and non-magnums from 25-100 yds.  I never laughed at the notion of a 38 snubnose because I remember back in the 60s, when you could buy cases of ammo for next to nothing, we used to buy up a case of the old 200 gn Winchester loads and watch them go downrange from our snubbies on a snow covered range.  You could actually call your shots, but the interesting thing was not that you could actually watch the bullet travel downrange, but the authority with which it hit.  It was a blast.  So, when some older guys (older than I was at the time) showed up for the silhouette shoots with their old snubnosed 38s and a couple of boxes of heavy shells you knew these guys could shoot.  We used to go a nickle a target at the 50, 75 and 100 yd ranges - the 25 yd chickens were no problem.  

Yes, these slugs have the trajectory of a football and sometimes you have to take a full front sight but when you go prone and dong that gong 5 out of 5 or 6 out of 6 times you win enough nickles for a hot dog and a cup of coffee.  Used to work well for us on a cold winter range and even though it might be so cold that your hands would need to warm up before you could shoot, it was always fun.  Mikey.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
"big gun" as back-up
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 05:49:16 AM »
Quote from: Daveinthebush

:eek:  :-D  :oops: My Bad. I meant 100-150 ROUNDS! I can see to shoot but can't see to type LOL!

Offline williamlayton

"big gun" as back-up
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 07:39:42 AM »
I wuz feelin mighty intimidated boys.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
"big gun" as back-up
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 09:50:12 AM »
Quote from: dawei
Quote from: Daveinthebush

:eek:  :-D  :oops: My Bad. I meant 100-150 ROUNDS! I can see to shoot but can't see to type LOL!

I was hoping you had made a typo, cause it was shore makin me feel senior. (OLD) :-D  :D
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
"big gun" as back-up
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 10:41:06 PM »
Too bad for you......shooting groups at that distance could get you a job as a writer for G & A!  Of course, you'd have to learn to shoot with your keyboard too!   :)

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?