Poll

What scope feature do you consider the most important to you?

Price
1 (3.2%)
light transmission, clarity, resolution
13 (41.9%)
variable power
0 (0%)
name brand
5 (16.1%)
rainguard
0 (0%)
illuminated reticles
0 (0%)
mechanical quality and strength (POI-Point of Impact)
12 (38.7%)
size of objectives and/or main tube size
0 (0%)
eye relief
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: January 31, 2003, 10:50:08 AM

Author Topic: Scope Features  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope Features
« on: January 31, 2003, 10:50:08 AM »
What scope feature do you find most important to you?  

Granted, some features may be inter-related.  As such, although you can only pick 1 feature on the poll, you can list however many features you consider important - in order of importance.

Zachary

Offline RKBAHolsters

Scope Features
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 06:56:14 AM »
I picked "name brand", because warranty issues are a very big deal when spending good money on optics.

Recently, almost bought a used Weaver Grand Slam scope, but why spend $250 for something that has no warranty.

If I buy new and keep it for 30 years they'll cover it.  If I buy it second hand, I'm SOL?

Steve

Offline savageT

Scope Features
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 08:31:17 AM »
Zachary,
Interesting results to date.  I see  Resolution and Clarity are the most desired.....I chose mechanical strength as my 1st choice (2nd choice in the poll).  To me, if the cross hairs break down or the optics begin to rattle around you are really up the creek w/o a "means of forward propulsion"!  Yes, Clarity and Resolution are very important, but to me, a scope must hold up under extreme recoil, and offer a bullet-proof warrentee to cover any contingency.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Zachary

Scope Features
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 04:51:10 PM »
Yes, I agree with you.  I admit that this is not the most scientific poll made, but it is interesting to see the results so far.  For me, virtually everything is important.  I want a good name brand, great optics, great mechanical quality, I love rainguard, and I love illuminated reticles.  That notwithstanding, I encourage people to not only cast their vote, but also explain it any way they wish.  

Let's see how more people vote and why. :grin:

Zachary

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Scope Features
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 02:00:15 PM »
I had to vote for light transmition, resolution and clarity. If you cant see it clearly you cant hit it. Like the rest of you so far I think most all of the choises are important. I also think that when you think of scopes made today if you get one with good optical quality it will have a lot of the other features listed. If the maker goes to the expence to use top quality glass they will probably not make the rest of the scope "cheap".
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline Zachary

Scope Features
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 10:02:21 AM »
Quote from: BruceP
If the maker goes to the expence to use top quality glass they will probably not make the rest of the scope "cheap".

Good point.  But I'm not quite sure how to what degree you are right.  For example, the Elite 4200s have better glass than the Elite 3200s.  But is the 4200 "stronger" than the 3200?  I think so because Bushnell says that the 4200s can withstand 10,000 rounds of a 375 H&H, whereas the 3200s have only been tested to 1,000 rounds.  Perhaps this is a gimick to entice people to justify the higher price of the 4200s, but, then again, I really DO BELIEVE that the 4200s are worth the extra price. :wink:

Zachary

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: Scope Features
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 10:14:04 AM »
Quote from: Zachary
What scope feature do you find most important to you?  

Granted, some features may be inter-related.  As such, although you can only pick 1 feature on the poll, you can list however many features you consider important - in order of importance.

Zachary
....I picked name brand...not for the name but the reputation and overall quality of the name brands track record....LEUPOLD....been thru 26 of them and seldom disappointed......have had Old Weaver ,Redfield, Lyman, Unertl, Zeiss, Nightforce and installed many Simmons and Tascos for friends and fellow shooters.......the features available,mechanical durrability, glass coatings and quality, weight and warranty-attitude all are at the upper end of the scale for me in the Leupold line of glass equipment.......Yes I have had a problem or two but they were super nice,quick to fix and return and always answer questions in a prompt and polite manner....imo....good luck and good shooting!!!