Author Topic: The best BS you've ever heard at the gun counter  (Read 3799 times)

Offline tomaldridge

• Trade Count: (0)
The best BS you've ever heard at the gun counter
« on: December 21, 2004, 10:45:01 AM »
I love hunting and fishing, so I applied to a major chain sporting goods store in 1976.  I worked there until 1980.  I got to see all the new stuff, getting orders in was like Christmas sometimes, and a group of really decent guys came around occasionally.  I learned a lot from them, both in the store and in the field.  On the other hand...... I worked 60-80 hours a week for a 40 hour salary.  The great guys were at least equaled by the nuts and liars.  I had to work around the store schedule during the busiest time of the year to hunt and fish.  Finally, one day in November, when I had worked about two weeks without a day off, I spent 15 minutes listening to a guy tell me how he wouldn't buy one of my "junk" .30/06 Remington 700 ADLs because they wouldn't kill a deer.  He was followed by an "expert" with a dime in his pocket, who measured each one of my shotguns with that dime before buying the cheapest one.  As he grumbled his way through the 4473 form, he suggested I throw all the others out, since only the fullest choke was worth buying, anyway.    Next up was another expert, then another, and another.  All day, I heard tales of 800 yard shots on deer (one with a 12 ga. slug, another with a 22LR, a third with a 94 Winchester) and other silliness.  I decided to leave the business that day, and never regretted my decision.  Since then, I've seen as least as many nuts behind the counter as in front, and heard just about an equal amount of BS from both sides.  The 800 yard shot with a 22LR that hit the 12 point buck between the eyes is still the tallest tale I've ever heard from a sober man.  What's yours?

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
The best BS you've ever heard at the gun co
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 12:37:18 PM »
You mean like the guy with the thudy thudy who shot through a 12" oak tree and killed a 10 point buck.
Or the special ammo that is made to tumble when it leaves the muzzle.
How about old uncle so n so's long tom shotgun that would kill any critter out to 200 yards like a death ray.
My personal favorite from a fellow I work with killing an elk he said was way up on the side of this mountain with his 9mm tech nine. It almost cut that elk in two. It's true he swore to it. :-D  :-D  :-D
I think he might have exagerated a little he drinks his lunch. But he is good for a laugh :-D  :-D  :-D

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Dali Llama

Re: The best BS you've ever heard at the gun counter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 12:53:05 PM »
Quote from: tomaldridge
I love hunting and fishing, so I applied to a major chain sporting goods store in 1976.  I worked there until 1980.  I got to see all the new stuff, getting orders in was like Christmas sometimes, and a group of really decent guys came around occasionally.  I learned a lot from them, both in the store and in the field.  On the other hand...... I worked 60-80 hours a week for a 40 hour salary.  The great guys were at least equaled by the nuts and liars.  I had to work around the store schedule during the busiest time of the year to hunt and fish.  Finally, one day in November, when I had worked about two weeks without a day off, I spent 15 minutes listening to a guy tell me how he wouldn't buy one of my "junk" .30/06 Remington 700 ADLs because they wouldn't kill a deer.  He was followed by an "expert" with a dime in his pocket, who measured each one of my shotguns with that dime before buying the cheapest one.  As he grumbled his way through the 4473 form, he suggested I throw all the others out, since only the fullest choke was worth buying, anyway.    Next up was another expert, then another, and another.  All day, I heard tales of 800 yard shots on deer (one with a 12 ga. slug, another with a 22LR, a third with a 94 Winchester) and other silliness.  I decided to leave the business that day, and never regretted my decision.  Since then, I've seen as least as many nuts behind the counter as in front, and heard just about an equal amount of BS from both sides.  The 800 yard shot with a 22LR that hit the 12 point buck between the eyes is still the tallest tale I've ever heard from a sober man.  What's yours?
Dali Llama say he imagine BamBams could contribute significantly here.  Where he be, anyway, ask Dali??? :?
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 07:12:10 PM »
I shot 32 mallards once wjth one shot and they were all drakes!  :)  :)  :-D  :D  :shock:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :)  :-D
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 07:48:54 PM »
A scope on a muzzle loader makes it shoot further. :)

You should only use a smooth bore on bears because a spinning rifle bullet gets twisted up in all that hair and won't go as deep. :eek:

You should be careful of making too close a shot because the bullet hasn't had enough time to pick up speed. :shock:

Best,
TnNuc

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 01:49:47 AM »
Quote from: TennesseeNuc

You should only use a smooth bore on bears because a spinning rifle bullet gets twisted up in all that hair and won't go as deep.

:-D  :)  :)  :-D

Offline magooch

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 02:24:53 AM »
With his vast hunting experience, I'll bet John F. Kerry could tell some breath taking hunting stories.
Swingem

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
BS
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 02:28:13 AM »
From behind the counter:

A gun doesn't begin to recoil until the bullet leaves the muzzle.

From behind the table:

This Luger was an officer's special.  (Rough as a cob gouged out mismatched nickle plated used-to-be a Luger.)

From the customer side of the counter:

A double rifle is not accurate enough to hunt deer with.

Offline Bigdog57

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 06:24:37 AM »
One of my favorites:
"Sure, you can use .380 in a 9mm!  It's the same thing, just not as much powder."  And he said it with a straight face . . .  :?

"Them CETME's are made by a guy at Century - he stamps his name, 'CETME' on them."  No lie, a guy told me this . . .  :shock:

Offline tomaldridge

Long Tom shotguns
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 07:03:07 AM »
I forgot about the Long Toms.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 08:03:46 AM »
Quote from: Bigdog57
One of my favorites:
"Sure, you can use .380 in a 9mm!  It's the same thing, just not as much powder."  
:coffee:

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 03:13:16 PM »
How about;

" this Remington Viper is just about the best .22 rifle you can buy!"
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 04:58:21 PM »
Quote from: ironglow
  " this Remington Viper is just about the best .22 rifle you can buy!"
:yeah: ...right up there with the jammomatic Marlin 60, say Dali Llama. :)  :)

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 10:51:30 PM »
A gun that is trying to be traded from the front of the counter:  "At 50 feet I can hit a milkjug nearly every time...why this things a tack-driver.  And it shoots hard too."
Best,
TnNuc

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 01:27:45 AM »
Quote from: TennesseeNuc
"At 50 feet I can hit a milkjug nearly every time...why this things a tack-driver.  And it shoots hard too."
:)  :-D  :-D  :)

Offline coldmold

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2004, 02:26:06 PM »
There is this guy I work with who swears up and down he kills pheasants at 60 yds with a 410. He claims they are head shots.  dsHe also claims to have seen quial 10 inches tall. nuff said. coldmold

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2004, 04:15:44 PM »
Had a guy telling me about how fantastic the 308 is in a M14 & how even tho it starts to drop a bit after 150 yards its back up again around 200 as its designed to rise again at longer ranges. I didn't laugh right at him but instead asked him how they managed to get it to do that & he proceeded to make everyone in the shop laugh at him all by himself by explaining how the balistic qualties of a .308 bullet allow this by "planeing" off the air on its way down. Couldnt explain why a 3006 doesnt do it tho, or a 30/40 or a 7.62X39 but sad the 303 British round acted the same.  :-D
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2004, 04:53:30 PM »
That guy has it all wrong! Everyone knows that the only cartridge that rises again after it drops is the .22 Jet.  See, after it drops a certain distance below the bore the little jet engine in the tail of the bullet kicks in lifting the bullet back up again. That's how it got it's name ya know.   :lol:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline ratgunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2004, 10:11:40 AM »
:D How about the sales guy when he says 'thats the last one we have' or those are gettin hard to find and there was aguy said he be back to buy it but I can sell it to you. OOH and we just got that in that'll be gone tommorow. :-D  :-D
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"

Offline Bigdog57

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2004, 02:14:20 PM »
I got a kick out of the salesgirl at Wally World (I know, not really a 'gunshop') when I asked to see the Marlin 17V I saw in the round display rack.  She looks in the rifle rack, and says "We don't have one of those."
I says, "No, in the other rack."  She says "But those are shotguns!  We don't have the 17V!"  I pointed to it, and said, "The one right there, three feet from your left arm!"  I never saw a girl turn that red since . . . well, never mind . . .  :oops:  
I bought it, and she offers me the ammo for it too.  Being against WM policy to give the customer a gun and ammo together, I declined.  Didn't wanna get her fired.   :twisted:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2004, 03:13:48 PM »
Years ago at the local sporting goods store the city sport came in to buy some shotgun slugs late in the morning, the salesman, my buddy, asked him if he was having trouble sighting in his shotgun and the sport asked why, my buddy said to him weren't you here this morning and I sold you 2 or 3 boxes of slugs? The guy said yes but I'm not sighting in my gun I'm hunting. The salesman asked him what he needed all those slugs for and the sport says "well there are a lot of deer around here and you get a lot of sound shots", the salesman asked him what a "sound shot" was and the sport said "you know, when you hear a deer in the brush but you can't see them, I get off at least 2 or 3 shots every time I hear one. My buddy took the boxes of slugs back off the counter, called him a few choice names and told him to get the heck out of the store and suggested he leave the area if he knew what was good for him. Not in that proper english though....<><.... :roll:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline big k

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2004, 07:46:54 PM »
Quote from: ratgunner
:D How about the sales guy when he says 'thats the last one we have' or those are gettin hard to find and there was aguy said he be back to buy it but I can sell it to you. OOH and we just got that in that'll be gone tommorow. :-D  :-D

I hear that just today i walked into this place called b&s guns i call the bull and s@#$ i asked the guy for an ultra varmit 243 h&r handi rifle and told me he would have to order with out even looking. So the dummy walks to the comp to look it up and walks right by the rifle i was looking for good grief. That would not be the first time this happend at the same shop

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2004, 08:02:59 AM »
Quote from: big k
I hear that just today i walked into this place called b&s guns i call the bull and s@#$ i asked the guy for an ultra varmit 243 h&r handi rifle and told me he would have to order with out even looking. So the dummy walks to the comp to look it up and walks right by the rifle i was looking for
Dali Llama say such antics provide him good clue as to why shop called "b&s"!! :)  :-D

Offline powderman

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2004, 11:34:59 AM »
BRETT. That is a little known fact about the 22 jet. :-D  :-D . That little engine is on a tiny timer. It kicks in just in time to hit the target. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Shorty

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2004, 01:27:24 PM »
MSP Ret,
 :lol: That's how we used to get the competition out of the woods.  :wink:
You run into another hunter and, of course, he asks if you've seen anything.  You say, "Nah, but I've taken a few "sound shots".  Pretty soon, you have the woods to yourself!  8)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2004, 01:30:33 PM »
Thats good Shorty, I never looked at it that way, if it was me I would sure leave in a hurry, and very quietly too !!!!!....<><.... :-D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2004, 04:37:47 PM »
Quote from: Shorty
MSP Ret,
 :lol: That's how we used to get the competition out of the woods.  :wink:
You run into another hunter and, of course, he asks if you've seen anything.  You say, "Nah, but I've taken a few "sound shots".  Pretty soon, you have the woods to yourself!  
Unfortunately, such comments would leave uttering hunter in rather low regard, say Dali Llama.

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2004, 05:15:56 PM »
i've been on both sides of the counter and heard some wild ones. i can only remember one right now. " this a brand new unissued Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine" no, it's a cut down mismatched .30-40 Krag Jorgensen. i might be young but i ain't stupid.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2004, 01:25:27 AM »
Quote from: kevin.303
i might be young but i ain't stupid.
...born at night, but not last night, ask Dali Llama? :lol:  :D

Offline buckenbass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2004, 11:32:13 AM »
I have some one that I work with he has this 303 that is incredible with this 303 he has KILLED deer 5miles away ..(I tried to make him change his story to 500 yard or meters but he stuck to his guns)...it can shoot thou 1inch steel at 100yards....can take 4inch tree branches clean off with one shot or take a 12inch tree down with 3 shoots all at 100 yards...also the last deer he shot with this rifle at 100 yards the shot picked the deer up and throw it 12 feet.I need to get me one of those   .One day I brought one of my 50S&W rounds in to show what my new toy shoots when he saw this bullet he said that the bullet is small compared to what his 303 shoots..?????.I do not mock him I try to respect my elders but I always give him an open invite to come shooting with me....The same fella also has a 22 that you need to point at the ground to be able to shoot strait ahead of you because the recoil is so bad and wouldn't you know that dang thing can shoot right thru a train car filled with sand....wow!!!!

The second best story i have heard by people with allot more years and experience then myself is..from a different fell i work with ..on a regular bases at 1000yards with his stock rem. 30-06 he can (after a few practice shots) graze a match and light it..I am not sure if its the heat or friction that lights it could not bring myself to ask ..He also doesn't want to come out shooting with me..
I have yet been able to shoot a 3 shot sub 1" group at 100 yards ...........on any deer!!!!!!