Author Topic: The best BS you've ever heard at the gun counter  (Read 3798 times)

Offline bgjohn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Ricochet........
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2004, 11:46:34 AM »
I knew a guy who thought that bullets picked up speed when they ricocheted. You can hear the difference,right?
 :)  :) JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
The best BS you've ever heard at the gun co
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2004, 01:00:46 PM »
Buckenbass wrote;
I have some one that I work with he has this 303 that is incredible with this 303 he has KILLED deer 5miles away ..(I tried to make him change his story to 500 yard or meters but he stuck to his guns)...it can shoot thou 1inch steel at 100yards....can take 4inch tree branches clean off with one shot or take a 12inch tree down with 3 shoots all at 100 yards...also the last deer he shot with this rifle at 100 yards the shot picked the deer up and throw it 12 feet.I need to get me one of those .One day I brought one of my 50S&W rounds in to show what my new toy shoots when he saw this bullet he said that the bullet is small compared to what his 303 shoots..?

mine can do this too. i don't see whats so unbelievable about it.

well, maybe not. i'm a big believer in the .303 British and sometimes think it's better than it really is but this is streching it just a bit.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Bigdog57

• Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2004, 05:08:16 AM »
Buying milsurps from the uneducated can be entertaining.
Once, my buddy told me he'd seen a "Mauser-looking" thing at the local pawnshop.  I checked it out, and came home with a nifty little Steyr-Manlicher M95M straight-pull carbine, chambered in 8mm Mauser instead of the usual funky rimmed round.  Had "7.92mm Mauser" stamped on the barrel, so they all thought it was some odd-ball Mauser rifle!   :-)
Another time, another pawnshop - they had a cut-down and Bubba'd Chinese T53 carbine (Mosin M44 clone).  They had it marked as "Japanese rifle" on the hangtag, due to the Chinese characters on the barrel.  I decided I'd take it home and try to restore, so I have 'em start the paperwork.  They are trying to decide how to document it, so I told them what it really was.  The clerk asks me, "So, like, is it a rifle or a shotgun?"  It took a lot of will power not to laugh at him.   :-D

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2004, 09:08:51 AM »
Quote from: Bigdog57
The clerk asks me, "So, like, is it a rifle or a shotgun?"  
:shock:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :shock:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2004, 09:59:07 PM »
"I like them see thu mounts.  They get the scope up high and lets the gun shoot further."
Best,
TnNuc

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2004, 01:48:34 AM »
Quote from: TennesseeNuc
"I like them see thu mounts.  They get the scope up high and lets the gun shoot further."
...not harder too, ask Dali Llama? :)  :-D  :)

Offline ratgunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2004, 11:47:11 AM »
:) Maybe its just the shops around here but I get a little peeved when a gun is sold and they leave it on display for months, or how about the people who put money on 10 or so guns and wait for years to pick em up if ever? SHEEEZ.
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"

Offline kevin.303

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2004, 05:18:05 PM »
whoever mentioned the Steyr-Mannlicher reminded me of another funny straight pull story. i was looking over the used rack at the local shop and the counter guy hands me a sporterized Ross rifle. the rifle was in good condition aside from the cut wood, but the price was only $40. i asked why so cheap and he said the bolt was stuck and it wouldn't open. i picked it up and gave it a tug. she opened up slicker than deer guts on a door knob. the clerks mouth dropped open and in an amazed voice he said " i ain't never seen a Lee-Enfield do that!!"  :shock:

next time i was in the store the price had gone up to $150. :?
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline savage24

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2004, 08:59:26 PM »
From the "expert" at work (not a gun store) who has since been fired:

"Handgun barrels aren't rifled, only rifle barrels are rifled - that's why they are called rifles.  Handgun barrels are smooth."

I tried to politely correct him, but he insisted that he was right (as he ALWAYS did!), so I apologized for my error and thanked him for his enlightenment and walked away.......  Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. :P

Offline cronkite

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2005, 11:54:21 AM »
This was not at a gun store, but out in the field with someone that I regretably went hunting with one day. (If I can see it I can kill it. This 7mm Mag only drops 15 inches in a thousand yards. )My reply was , probably more like 15 or 20 feet.  :wink:
shootem stuffem hangem on the wall

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2005, 03:10:21 PM »
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. :P[/quote] :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2005, 03:20:47 PM »
Not the best I ever heard, but right up there.

One young feller's advice to a another shooter having problems grouping shots out of his 336:

"Your problem may be from the barrel being shot out. Since you bought this thing used, the old owner may have well over 500 shots through this barrel. Micro-groove rifling is not made for infinity, somewhere around 500 to 600 shots these barrrels show alot of wear and begin to open up at the range."

Uh,...huh...  :shock:
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline kjeff50cal

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2005, 06:44:53 PM »
Over heard at a Gun Counter.... " Yes sir this gun (a Yugo 59/66 SKS) shoots a .308 short bullet, which has the same power as a .308 but is easier on your shoulder......  :shock:  :)  :)  :)

kjeff50cal
BTW the questionable counterman turns to me (yes I bought one... but not from him) and says you bought one, how does it shoot? At that I bit my lip forcing back what I wanted to say and said "yes & very well" and tactfully quickly left that shop.
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2005, 01:25:40 AM »
Quote from: FWiedner
Micro-groove rifling is not made for infinity, somewhere around 500 to 600 shots these barrrels show alot of wear and begin to open up at the range."

:-D  :)  :)  :-D

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2005, 09:06:03 AM »
I had an engineer tell me that his .460 Weatherby was the biggest rifle you could buy without getting into double rifles.  I kept throwing my B.S. flag, and he got really mad.  Well, the next time I rode with him I took one of my .50 BMG rounds with an A-Max in it to show him.  He didn't believe that I owned a gun that would shoot that.  Recently I took him to a local range and lit one off for him.  heh heh

Another thing that kills me (Yes, I do understand that gun shops are still in retail) is all the crap these "gun" guys get talked into putting on their new gun.  I find it funny, and occasionally poke a jab or two at the salesman.  Like the time this guy bought a pistol handled Mossberg 12 guage.  The saleseman had a sure-fire, barrel shroud, side saddle shell holder, and ghost ring sights thrown on there before the credit card was swiped.  heh heh  I asked the guy behind the counter why he forgot to mention a tactical sling.

A favorite game of mine is to go into a gun shop and ask to see an M-4, Ar-15, etc. and "check it out".  The guy inevitably tells me that I am doing something wrong everytime.  heh heh.  Mister, I have fired more 5.56 mm rounds that you could fit in the bed of your pickup.  I just let them sing their song.

SAWgunner
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2005, 12:41:16 PM »
My son was working behind the counter when a customer came up with a used rifle off of the consignment rack and asked him if it would cost more or less than that more expensive new rifle behind the counter.    :roll:
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline kevin.303

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2005, 06:01:04 PM »
I just remembered that the absolute best BS IÂ’ve ever heard was from my hunters safety instructor. By the end of the day I was ready to scream. When it came to firearms this guy had a very limited knowledge.

The first mistake;

Instructor: “ you can’t interchange different ammo in rifles even if they have the same name. For example there are 3 different .303 caliber cartridges, .303 British, .303 Lee-Enfield, and .303 Springfield. They are different and cannot be substituted for each other. The .303 British is an English hunting round. The .303 Lee-Enfield is for the Lee-Enfield military rifle, and the .303 Springfield is for the US Springfield military rifle”

It was driving me nuts but I didnÂ’t say anything. He was probably thinking of .303 British and .303 Savage. I let it go, hey everyone can make a slip up.

The second mistake;

He was explaining cartridge names and headstamps. On the black board he wrote the following;

.300 Win. Mag.
.30-06 Springfield
.30-30 Winchester

He proceeded to ask if anyone knew what these meant. I was the only one who raised their hand. ( The rest of the class was mostly kids, I was one of only 3 students over the age of 18 )

Me; “the first one is a .300 Winchester Magnum”

Instructor; “Correct. What does the .300 mean”

Me; “ it means the diameter between the lands of the rifling is 300 thousandths of an inch, but the bullet diameter is actually .308, which is the diameter of the grooves.”

Instructor; “ umm… Yes, but your getting to technical, you ‘ll confuse the rest of class”

Bullflop, I think youÂ’re the one getting confused

My explanation of the ’06 was correct but it was when we moved on to the “thutty thutty “ that I almost flipped.

Me; “ .30-30 stands for a .30 caliber bullet over 30 grains of blackpowder”

Instructor; “ nope. It means it’s a .30 caliber cartridge introduced in 1830, just like the .30-06 is a .30 caliber introduced in 1906”

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

How did you get this job?! I didnÂ’t know whether to laugh or shake my head in disbelief. It probably wonÂ’t matter to most of those kids anyways, but if your going to give this little history lesson at least get you facts straight! In 1830 the percussion cap was new technology. And what about the .45-110 Sharps was it introduced in 18110? He kept insisting he was right so I shut up after a couple of minutes, but it still irritates me to this day

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2005, 08:00:35 PM »
Kevin one point while the 30/30  Or more corectly 30WCF is named like some of the old black powder cartridges it was never loaded with black powder it was a smokeless load from the beginning. It was a 30 cal using a 165 grain bullet using 30 grains of some type of smokeless powder so while the terminoligy is based on the black powder loadings example 45/70  45 cal bullet with 70 grains of black powder it was never loaded with black powder at least not factory. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline powderman

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2005, 03:26:09 AM »
JH45GUN. I believe you are correct Sir. The 3030was one of, if not the first smokeless rounds. Did you get my PM about the other place? POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2005, 07:52:59 AM »
Quote from: powderman
Did you get my PM about the other place?
Do there be some new firearm forum, inquire Dali Llama? :?

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2005, 07:55:52 AM »
Quote from: SAWgunner
this guy bought a pistol handled Mossberg 12 guage.  The saleseman had a sure-fire, barrel shroud, side saddle shell holder, and ghost ring sights thrown on there before the credit card was swiped.  
Dali Llama say customer must not value his existing facial features very much!! :-D  :)  :-D

Offline kevin.303

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2005, 12:02:11 PM »
well, someone told me that it was originally designed as a blackpowder load but was switched to smokeless before it went on the market. the point i was getting at was that thatsd what that type of designation means, caliber and powder weight, not caliber and year of manufacture.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2005, 12:29:08 PM »
Quote from: kevin.303
well, someone told me that it was originally designed as a blackpowder load but was switched to smokeless before it went on the market. the point i was getting at was that thatsd what that type of designation means, caliber and powder weight, not caliber and year of manufacture.
 :idea2: :oh:

Offline Shorty

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2005, 02:37:20 PM »
Just today at work some of us were discussing the old physics (law of gravity) example of the bullet drop.  You know, the one that says, if you fire a rifle on the level, and drop another bullet at the muzzle, both bullets will hit the ground at the same time.  This guy insisted that this could not be true.  He claimed that the horizontal velocity of the bullet "defied" gravity until it reached the gravitational acceleration of 33'/sec..  Only then did the bullet begin to fall.  :?
I suggested that the bullet would hit the ground LONG before dropping to 33'/sec.  
He's going to bring me proof that he is correct, on Monday.  I can't wait!  8)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2005, 04:08:03 PM »
Quote from: Shorty
Just today at work some of us were discussing the old physics (law of gravity) example of the bullet drop.  You know, the one that says, if you fire a rifle on the level, and drop another bullet at the muzzle, both bullets will hit the ground at the same time.  This guy insisted that this could not be true.  He claimed that the horizontal velocity of the bullet "defied" gravity until it reached the gravitational acceleration of 33'/sec..  Only then did the bullet begin to fall.  :?
I suggested that the bullet would hit the ground LONG before dropping to 33'/sec.  
He's going to bring me proof that he is correct, on Monday.  I can't wait!  
:yeah:  :bye:

Offline powderman

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2005, 04:32:03 PM »
SHORTY. We all know, uhhh, most of us, that a bullet starts to drop as soon as it leaves the muzzle. I anxiously await his proof, please post it. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2005, 01:48:00 AM »
Quote from: Shorty
He's going to bring me proof that he is correct, on Monday.
Well, it be Monday, remark Dali Llama...

Offline Shorty

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2005, 01:11:33 PM »
Dali, Powderman,
Well, I tried to nail him down, but he's hedging a bit.  He'll admit, now, that in theory, I'm right.   :roll:  However, he stills insists that the fired bullet gains an edge on gravity, even if just for a little bit of time.   :roll:  :roll:
Something about the break-free -of- gravity velocity of a rocket ship, or , oh heck, maybe I should have had my tin-foil hat on!  :wink:

Offline Shorty

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2005, 01:14:18 PM »
Dali, Powderman,
Well, I tried to nail him down, but he's hedging a bit.  He'll admit, now, that in theory, I'm right.   :roll:  However, he stills insists that the fired bullet gains an edge on gravity, even if just for a little bit of time.   :roll:  :roll:
Something about the break-free -of- gravity velocity of a rocket ship, or , oh heck, maybe I should have had my tin-foil hat on!  :wink:

Offline powderman

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2005, 01:46:18 PM »
SHORTY. A lot of folks don't understand the difference between bullet drop, and line of sight. In the respect to the sights, a rifle that is zeroed at several hundred yards will undoubtably rise above the line of sight, even though it starts dropping from the line of the muzzle, or bore, as soon as it is fired. This has been argued for years. The shooters know the truth, it's usually the city boys that just don't understand. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D