Author Topic: 44 Cast bullet question  (Read 736 times)

Offline Possum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
44 Cast bullet question
« on: December 21, 2004, 04:24:11 PM »
I just poured some 44 bullets in a .429 mould this weekend.   Figured out about an hour into it that my mold was not hot enough to fill out the tips of the casting.  Finally got some right nice bullets.  When I put a caliper to them, they are measuring between .430-.431.  I am using straight linotype to cast with since I don't have wheelweights or pure lead to mix with the linotype at this time.  

Question is do I need to run them through a sizer or will they shoot like they are right out of the mold? I have shot .430 jacketed bullets all the time.  Will the lead conform to the barrel or is it a bad situation to get into.  I know it is probably a beginners question, but that's where I am at with casting lead.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
44 Cast bullet question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 04:36:23 PM »
It certainly won't hurt to fire them.

You may have an issue with leading, depending on several factors including hardness, lube etc.

I like a boolet .001 to .002 over groove diameter.

Revolver?  Single shot?  If it's a wheel gun, the chamber size also will have an effect - measure it.  It should be slightly larger than the groove size.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Possum

• Contributor
44 Cast bullet question
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 04:42:43 PM »
Single shot TC.  Shoots the .430 Jackets like a dream.  I was kind of hoping to get close to that performance with cast bullets.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
44 Cast bullet question
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 04:59:56 PM »
Got one in .44mag when the TC first came out.  Have another barrel now - 14" rechambered in .430jdj (would do .444 to save trimming if I were to do it again).

You should have NO problems.  I shoot up through 300+ graing boolets - you can't get them fast enough in linotype to get any mushrooming but they're plenty big as they are.

Enjoy!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
44 Cast bullet question
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 05:06:44 PM »
Possum, I suspect you will do just fine shooting them as cast withoug sizing.  

That straight lino is pretty hard and you may need to push them quickly to get them to obturate and fit the bore without powder gas burning around the sides and leading.  That would be a reason for mixing that lino with some softer alloy in addition to the lino being expensive and hard to come across.

Are those gas checked bullets and what lube are you using on them.  I use the Lee Liquid Alox and tumble lube mine and double and tripple lube them with relativly thin coats of lube rather than a single thick coat.  I am casting that Lee .430 310 grain and cast from straight wheel weight to be shot in a Contender barrel.

Offline Possum

• Contributor
44 Cast bullet question
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 05:47:05 AM »
Thomas, I am using a 215gr. Lee mold and it is not a gas check bullet.  I imagine if I mix the linotype with lead it will cast a smaller diameter than the straight linotype.  I looked in the Lyman reloading book last night and saw a chart about the different sizes a bullet that came out of the same mold based on the alloy used.  Linotype casts with very little shrinkage.  The mix looked to cast about .005 less which would put me in the correct ballpark as far as diameter.  

I just got to find a source for regular lead.  I wasn't going to mess with casting until I was fortunate enough to have a friend in the printing industry that is giving me a pile of linotype.  Then it kind of seemed cost effective and logical to get into.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
44 Cast bullet question
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 06:00:44 AM »
That Lee 215, that's one of the tumble lube designs isn't it?  Even if it casts a tad smaller, being softer it will obtuate and fill the bore and make a better seal with a lower charge.  

I have had to buy the lino and you may find that you may be able to trade that off for softer lead if you do some advertising.  I found a local source for soft roofing lead at a metal recycler and stocked up a few years ago at 17cents a pound.  The big thing is to avoid shipping and find a local source.

The wheel weights I get free from tire shops here.  Most of them have a contractor who picks them up from them, but they often can spare a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch if you do business with them.

Offline Possum

• Contributor
44 Cast bullet question
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 09:34:40 AM »
I found some wheel weights at lunch today.  Not a lot-just a few pounds.  

The 214 is not a tumble lube bullet, but I have been shooting nearly that same design that I bought at a gun show.  They are .429 and did not have the accuracy I thought they should have.  They are okay to plink with.  I did not think about metal recylcers.  I will give them a call.  Thanks.