Author Topic: Hevi-Shot in Topper Deluxe Classic  (Read 691 times)

Offline JRSR126

• Trade Count: (0)
Hevi-Shot in Topper Deluxe Classic
« on: December 21, 2004, 07:17:34 PM »
Remington says that Hevi-Shot should only be used in barrels and chokes rated for steel shot. I was looking at purchasing a Undertaker turkey choke for TDC rated for Hevi-Shot so that takes care of the choke concern.  But I am concerned that the Hevi-shot could scratch or damage my barrel. What do you guys think??? I would like to try the 3" high velocity loads.  Also, would the Mossburg factory chokes work for Hevi shot?? I heard Hevi-Shot likes a more open choke than lead shot so maybe I could use my Mossberg full choke and not buy the a special Hevi-Shot turkey choke.

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 02:51:30 AM »
dont have to worry about hevi shot damaging your barel. i shoot it and i have had no problems. As long as you dont shoot the hevi shot extensively you wont need a hevi shot tube. but if you plan on shoting it alot then you'll need a hevi shot tube or else you'll shoot the choke from the tube.
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 07:55:42 AM »
Shooting hevishot will not damage your barrel.  The wad used by remington in their loadings is a full cup, I've read teflon coated, that keeps the hevishot pellets from contacting the barrel directly.

Here's a pic of a cutaway remington hevi shell (remington picture)

The cup wad protects the shot from deformation from the forcing cone and any other irregularities in the barrel or choke.  It is also caught and slowed by ported chokes very easily creating tighter patterns because the wad isn't pushing and dispearsing the hevishot load after it leaves the barrel.  In essense the hevishot load is "saboted" like a slug.  The same principal of protecting the load and barrel applies.

This "protection" helps barrels with rough forcing cones and such pattern much better, like barrels with polished forcing cones.  Something to keep in mind for turkey season.  If you nef has a rough forcing cone and you're shooting remington hevishot, don't worry about it, it's not hurting you any.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 09:07:30 AM »
OK, what about fixed chokes? Is Hevi-Shot ok in those, I've got a 12ga with a fixed Mod choke I would like to use for coyotes. Need to hit the patterning board with this gun and was looking for alternatives to a big buckshot load. Dead coyote loads from Hevi-shot sound interesting. Pricey but with my hunting skills, I won't be shooting many of these rounds in the field, just the range.

Nixter

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 09:23:18 AM »
same concept with fixed chokes, it's allright as long as you dont shoot it extensively
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline JRSR126

PORTED CHOKES
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 01:11:21 AM »
Scruffy, does the ported choke give you a tighter pattern and do you think it is worth the extra money? I was looking at the Trulock chokes from Flyaway specialities. I think the cost is $14 higher for a ported choke. Also do you think the straight ports reduce recoil? Thank you.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 11:09:31 AM »
I've shot a couple different ported chokes and haven't noticed a recoil difference.  Ofcourse I was shooting 3.5" mag loads so even a 20% drop in recoil is still going to feel like I'm being kicked by a horse...  But one ported choke I have for my 870 claims 40% reduction and I know it didn't do that...

As far as patterning, the choke that really interests me is the pattern master.  It's ported but it also has little knobs that grab the wad to keep it from slaming into the shot column after leaving the barrel.  I've heard and read many reports from people getting very tight patterns with more open chokes.  The pattern master "sales literature" is very interesting also on how their design works.

However, like all shotguns, one choke / load by work great in one gun and not in another.

For best overall results I'd say take whatever choke you get and pattern multiple loads through it.  I have friends that buy one choke and one load, spend tons of money on the choke, then complain about the pattern and sell the choke, or don't care about the pattern and assume since they spent $$$ that it's the best it can be based on the sales literature.

For this upcoming season I'm going to try making my 870 supermag back into a long range shooter again with hevishot this time instead of copper plated lead.  I'll use it for sitting along fields where long shots are the rule and not the exception.  For brush busting, hunting during the rain, etc, I'll be using my mod choked nef pardner and #4 3" mag hevishot.

For the 870 I plan to mount my Remington cantiliver rib scope mount (I'm not sure if Remington still makes the scope mount or not, blamps to any remington rib) and mount a millet sp1 reddot.  Next I'll start with 3" mag hevishot through my new remington full "lead/steel" gold colored choke, .691" in restriction.  Remingtons extra full choke is .687, .004" tighter..., so I won't be testing it... Remingtons next tighter choke is the superfull at .665", I'll be testing this choke, and then finally the ported "ventilator" choke at .655".  The "hevishot" choke from Remington is .675", just .010" more open than the "super full" and .016" tighter than the "full".  I have the full, super full and ventilator so I'm going to try to do it without buying the "hevi tube" by varying the shot size.  

I currently use the "full" choke shooting #2 hevi at coyotes so I'll start with patterning that choke with #4 hevishot.  Then I'll pattern #4 hevi with the .665" super full choke and note the difference.  It's possible the .665" choke over chokes the large #4 pellets.  As a rule the larger the pellet the tighter the pattern through the same choke unless it overchokes the load.  My .665" superfull choke might pattern hevi #6's great, very very tight, but may put hevi #4's into a pattern like a mod but with holes in it, that is a "blown pattern" because of too much choke.  I'll probably use whichever is tighter for #4 shot, the full or the super full.  If the full is tighter, the superfull is blown, but the full isn't tight enough, and finances allow, I'll get a box of #5 hevishot and try that through the superfull.  If the #5's pattern tighter in the tighter choke than the #4's in the more open choke than I'll use them.  if not, I'll save my penny's and buy a box of #4 3.5" mags and see if that is better or worse.

But I imagine I'll end up using the .665 super full choke with either #4 or #5 shot, if I were to bet it would be #5 shot as the #4 would be over choked, but we'll see.  I imagine the #4 and the full choke will be very good, just not as tight as the super full and #5 shot.  Since this will be LOOOONG range rig w/scope, I'll probably try and stretch it as far as I can.

And like in the past, ventilator choke, win supreme #4, 3.5" mag, and a deadly 60 yard pattern, a tom will sneak in around from my side and I'll miss a 10 yard shot to my weak side....  :wink:  and I'll be cursing the day I decided to spend the $$$ on building the long range rig when my nef single shot, fixed mod choked barrel shooting #4 hevi would have made easy work of him...  :o

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 12:23:18 PM »
Scruffy is the resident Hevi-Shot expert.

Hevi-Shot,  if it's good enough for Scruffy, it's good enough for anyone!!

Offline JRSR126

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I ordered a Trulock 670 choke from Flyaway specialties and 1 box of 3" Remington #6 Hevi Shot shells (1225 fps). I am hoping the #6 will perform well and I will not have to try other Hevi shot sizes. Wish somebody would sell a Hevi Shot assortment for testing.

I was on the National Turkey Federation website recently and allot of people are touting the Nitro custom Hevi-Shot loads and Rhino chokes (www.nitrocompany.com). Getting a custom fitted choke and loads is too expensive but I was wondering if you guys thought the Nitro Hevi Shot loads were worth paying the extra cost vrs the Remington Hevi Shot loads???