Author Topic: Mother of Suicide Victim sues Wal-Mart !  (Read 1806 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
Mother of Suicide Victim sues Wal-Mart !
« on: December 22, 2004, 09:08:15 AM »
Mother of Suicide Victim Sues Wal-Mart
By LIZ AUSTIN, AP

AP

DALLAS (Dec. 21) - Near the end of her short life, Shayla Stewart, a diagnosed manic-depressive and schizophrenic, assaulted police officers and was arrested for attacking a fellow customer at a Wal-Mart store where she had a prescription for anti-psychotic medication.

Given all those signs, her parents say, another Wal-Mart just 7 miles away should have never sold her the shotgun she used to kill herself at age 24 in 2003.

Her mother, Lavern Bracy, is suing the world's biggest store chain for $25 million, saying clerks should have known about her daughter's illness or done more to find out.

The case, filed earlier this month, has reignited a debate over the confidentiality of mental health records and the effectiveness of background checks on would-be buyers of guns.

"We know that if they had so much as said, 'Why do you want this?' we would not be having this conversation because Shayla would have had a meltdown," said her stepfather, Garrett Bracy.

The Bracys said Wal-Mart's gun department could have checked Wal-Mart's own security files or the pharmacy department's prescription records before selling her the weapon.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Christi Gallagher declined to comment on the lawsuit.

But pharmacy prescription records are confidential under a 1996 federal law, so stores cannot use them when deciding whether to sell a gun.

Also, Wal-Mart did a background check on Stewart, as required under federal law, but through no fault of its own, her name did not show up in the FBI database. The reason: The database contains no mental health records from Texas and 37 other states.

Texas does not submit mental health records because state law deems them confidential, said Paul Mascot, an attorney with the Texas Department of State Health Services. Other states have not computerized their record-keeping systems or do not store them in a central location for use by the FBI.

Federal law prohibits stores from selling guns to people who, like Stewart, have a history of serious mental illness.

Would-be buyers must fill out a form that asks about mental health. On Stewart's form, a box that asked whether she had been involuntarily committed to an institution or declared dangerously mentally ill by a judge was incorrectly marked no. (Her mother's attorneys question whether Stewart filled out the form herself or a clerk did it for her.) Wal-Mart ran a background check anyway, as required by federal law.

Michael Faenza, president and chief executive of the National Mental Health Association, applauds Texas' refusal to share information with the FBI database. He said it would not be fair to violate patients' privacy when there is no data to support claims that mentally ill people are more violent than others.

"The tragedies that families face when people are killed is terrible. And frankly I wish handguns were not so available in this country," he said. "But it's not right, in our minds, to make social policy based on just a few cases."

Garrett Bracy couldn't disagree more.

He and his wife watched his stepdaughter's six-year decline from straight-A student to violent and unpredictable stranger. She was hospitalized five times, twice under court orders. Her longest hospitalization, lasting a month, came in 2002 after she refused to leave her room or take her medication.

The suggestion that Wal-Mart should have checked prescription records infuriates Erich Pratt, a spokesman for the Virginia-based group Gun Owners of America.

"Does that mean mental illness prevents everyone on Prozac from owning a gun?" he said.

Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy of New York, who ran for office after her husband was killed and son wounded in 1993 by a gunman on a Long Island Rail Road train, wants to strengthen the federal background check system by encouraging states to share mental health records. She has introduced legislation that would give states grants to automate and turn over the information.

She drafted the bill after a priest and a parishioner were shot to death by a schizophrenic man in a New York church in 2002. He, too, should not have been allowed to buy a gun.

"When you see these deaths that could have been prevented it's a shame," McCarthy said.

As the Bracys prepare for another Christmas without their daughter, they are urging lawmakers to support McCarthy's bill and dealers to conduct their own background checks.

"Lavern went to the store the other day to buy over-the-counter headache sinus medication and they limited the amount of sinus medication she could buy at one time," her husband said, his voice trembling with emotion. "But Shayla can walk into a store and buy a gun and they could care less. That's got to change."

12/21/04 19:08 EST
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Shorty

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 11:18:41 AM »
Walmart "sold her the shotgun".
"Frankly I wish that handguns were not so available".
Do these people hear themselves?   :?

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Mother of Suicide Victim sues Wal-Mart !
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 12:51:57 PM »
Quote from: New York Hunter
"Lavern went to the store the other day to buy over-the-counter headache sinus medication and they limited the amount of sinus medication she could buy at one time," her husband said, his voice trembling with emotion. "But Shayla can walk into a store and buy a gun and they could care less. That's got to change."

So husband advocate selling more sinus medication and less guns as solution, ask Dali Llama? :?
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 01:39:41 PM »
Shame on the mom and shame on the husband.  

They both knew she had a problem and they didn’t protect her from herself.

It is their fault, nobody else’s.   I get so sick of these crybabies pointing at everyone except themselves.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 02:00:44 PM »
As I have said before, blame every one else for what happened. If this girl was in this state of mind for a while why wasn't she in an instition. They should be suing the psychiatrist that refused to hospitaliz her. :eek:  :?
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 05:04:19 PM »
Quote from: Major
I get so sick of these crybabies pointing at everyone except themselves.
That do be all too common today, comment Dali Llama. :oops:  :(  :cry:

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 07:28:16 PM »
Just one more reason why we so desperately need tort reform in this country. We need to put about 75% of the lawyers out of business. OK maybe 90%. But there are some valid reasons for lawyers and we do need some but not nearly as many as we have.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 10:10:54 PM »
Would it be a valid point if one were to say that juries, ya know , people, are the real culprits?
I believe that a law is not necessary to reform torts. Juries could think and reason, then tort reforms would be automatic. You will notice that there is no criminal offense which has been committed.
Once again people are the culprits of theirownselves. Might I also add, we have many who rant, rave and stand on soap boxes, pleading for less government and more self rule. Then when the opportunity avails itsownself their eyes roll back into their heads and they become comatose.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 01:17:56 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
I believe that a law is not necessary to reform torts.
Dali Llama say williamlayton must reside on a different planet than do Dali. :?  :?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 01:31:47 AM »
Dali Llama say williamlayton must reside on a different planet than do Dali.

He does. He lives in Tejas.  :eek:  Now I don't really think that's why he has some of those ideas of his. I think he got them when those space aliens took him that last time.  :)  Any truth to that Will'um? Come on now you can tell us. :lol:

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 01:47:29 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Dali Llama say williamlayton must reside on a different planet than do Dali.

He does. He lives in Tejas.  :eek:  Now I don't really think that's why he has some of those ideas of his. I think he got them when those space aliens took him that last time.  
...or perhaps it was the time before that, comment Dali Llama! :-D  :)  :)  :-D  :lol:

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 02:15:21 AM »
Earth calling Mars--well, if ya get my point.
Seems to me that it is the juries that give the verdicts and the $$$$$$.
Which, is my point.
If you start limiting access to the legal system then we are all in for a rough ride.
One historian made the point that Texans stopped shootin each other and started suing each other.
The early colonist, way fore independence was a thought, used the courts VERY frequently.
Not a new concept at all.
Now maybe there are alternatives such as a grand jury fer what we call punitive damages.
Good to see we got back on the level GB.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Num_1_Dad

• http://www.tuxrules.com/penguin
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 02:53:50 AM »
Can't buy a gun if your mental but you can drive.
Visit my forum at www.tuxrules.com/penguin to get the latest php forum board's with built in MOD's!
Or my forum www.tuxrules.com/discussion

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 03:01:30 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
If you start limiting access to the legal system then we are all in for a rough ride.
Dali Llama say he not speak of limiting access by persons of any particular socioeconomic, religious, or ethnic status. :twisted:  :x  :evil:

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 03:13:04 AM »
Dali-
you are right, I should have made it clear that my thought was directed too GB.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2004, 03:54:18 AM »
unfortunately big companys like WalMart create this problem by settling out of court with these bottom feeders. They may pay $50K to make them go away rather than pay their lawyers $200K to beat it in court. If they could counter sue for legal costs these crap lawsuits would diminish greatly. The $25mil. in this case was just to get national coverage in the news. Not a realistic expectation of payment. WalMart didn't do anything wrong or illegal, but may pay to make it go away. The parents lawyer knows this and is committing a fraud to cash in on their loss. The parents and the bottomfeeder are just playing the system that the lawyers have created and big business have fallen into because of the lawyer expenses on their side. It sucks but it works everyday.
Dave375HH

Offline ed1921

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2004, 04:03:08 AM »
Quote from: Nightrain52
As I have said before, blame every one else for what happened. If this girl was in this state of mind for a while why wasn't she in an instition. They should be suing the psychiatrist that refused to hospitaliz her. :eek:  :?

But who do you think has the deeper pockets?
Not real hard to figure that out.

Online magooch

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2004, 04:04:24 PM »
A good judge could remedy this one in about a minute and a half--throw it out!
Swingem

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2004, 05:26:16 PM »
What a bunch of BS. The clerk at the gun counter has NO RIGHT to the pharmacy records!! She lied on the fourm, whos fault is that? There does need to be tort reform, 90% of this crap should never make to a court. One quick way to stop this BS would be to make the lawyers pay out of their pocket when they bring some BS case to court. Make the plantif and their lawyer pay. But I have to agree that people on juries need to pull their head out of their six, and make people responsible...the right people, not assign blame to who ever has the most money. It is amazing how a few million dollars with ease the guilt of the next of kin.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2004, 11:34:31 PM »
Earth calling Mars--well, if ya get my point.
Seems to me that it is the juries that give the verdicts and the $$$$$$.
Which, is my point.

I hear ya. And to some degree even agree with ya.  :eek:

BUT, that simply ain't gonna happen. The idiots on juries these days seem bent on punishing any and all big money sources no matter the right or wrong of it. I think they're looking at it like a lottery and hoping one day they will hit it big.

In no way do I want to cut off the rights or opportunities of folks actually wronged to seek and obtain REALISTIC judgements and settlements. BUT dang it this crap is WRONG. It's ruining our entire economy. The judges ain't gonna do it and neither are the juries. Unless the legislature does then no one will and it will just keep on keeping on. As much as I hate more laws this is one I really do feel is needed.

Just a reasonable cap of some sort and/or a way to keep such stupid frivolous suits as this one at bay.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2004, 01:42:45 AM »
Quote from: big medicine
There does need to be tort reform
Dali Llama say he concur wholeheartedly.

Offline 257Robt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2004, 01:52:46 AM »
To bad they can't have a jury tell it the way it is. If Wal-Mart followed the rules of purchasing a firearm, so be it. These parents need to stand up and admit their own fault instead of pushing the blame on someone else. What is even worse is that this sounds like the parents want to "get rich quick" at the expense of their daughter. The parents and all the legal services involved need to get a clue.
Expect it when you least expect it

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2004, 02:02:25 AM »
Quote from: 257Robt
the parents want to "get rich quick" at the expense of their daughter.
Do that not be "the American way," inquire Dali Llama? :(  :cry:  :oops:

Offline Num_1_Dad

• http://www.tuxrules.com/penguin
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2004, 03:39:59 AM »
Quote from: 257Robt
These parents need to stand up and admit their own fault instead of pushing the blame on someone else.

Bingo.

Now we should sue the parents for being greedy and even trying to bring this court.
Visit my forum at www.tuxrules.com/penguin to get the latest php forum board's with built in MOD's!
Or my forum www.tuxrules.com/discussion

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2004, 04:38:50 AM »
Walmart didnt pull the trigger. If she'd a drove off a bridge who should they sue then? GM or the bridge owner? Aint nobodies fault but her own. Maybe the state should sue her parents for bringing a dangerous person into the world. Its about personal responsability.
She killed herself, so what?
She's got a right to a gun anyhow, just like the rest of us. Unless she proves otherwise. Fortunately she killed herself instead of an innocent.
Put me on one of them juries & I'll have all the bleeding heart sissies crying for their mommy.
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2004, 03:10:25 AM »
Quote from: Leverdude
Put me on one of them juries & I'll have all the bleeding heart sissies crying for their mommy.
:shock:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2004, 06:56:54 AM »
If she'd a drove off a bridge who should they sue then? GM or the bridge owner?

That is exactly what they would do they would sue them both in hopes of someone settling out of court...and there-in lies the problem...it is way to easy to bring a lawsuit against a manufacture or buisness in this country...and the parents are saying that Wal-mart should have been the de-facto parents of the girl...and taken over the responsibility from them,to safegaurd her from herself...it is one thing if a person is acting crazy or wierd when buying a gun...but it is another when they are not,and have no criminal background...and to have to spend thousands of dollars in legal fees to prove this over and over again should be the crime here.....

On the flip side...there needs to be something in place that will allow a decent settlement for those who are actually hurt by faulty products,and putting a value on a humans life is difficult to say the least,and putting unrealistic caps on the monetary awards isn't the answer...we cannot swing the pendulim too far to the left...it needs to be in the middle to be fair to all...and this will require a major change in the judicial system...and a realization on everyones part,as to who and what is actually at fault to make it happen...in this case...the daughter should have intitutionalized to save her from hurting herself and others...but...apperantly the parents who were responsible for her...either wouldn't or couldn't afford it....

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2004, 07:53:21 AM »
Quote from: Mac11700
the parents are saying that Wal-mart should have been the de-facto parents of the girl...
That be what far too many U.S. citizens expect: a forgiving, benevolent, cuddly Daddy Warbucks to take care of all needs and wants forever... :twisted:  :x  :evil:

Offline brown-trout

OTC cough medicine=crystal methamphetamine problem
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2004, 05:54:26 AM »
This nut was limited in how much OTC sudephidrine she was allowed to purchase???
Seems to me she was attempting to purchase it for the production of meth...there is a fed reg on how much of the stuff you can buy and it seems to me a clerk would only flag you if it was at or near that amount...
so maybe our crazed shooter was into some other dark and dirty stuff as well.
The stuff that is used to make that $h*+ is amazing ...cough medicine, matchbook strikers, coleman fuel, denatured alcohol, paint stripper and muriatic acid. Oh ...dont forget about iodine tincture, like you use on horses.
I see this stuff all the time when we get called out for fires in hotel rooms on the interstate.....makes you think about where you spend the night on vacation.
BT
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2004, 04:40:51 AM »
Quote from: Leverdude
If she'd a drove off a bridge who should they sue then? GM or the bridge owner?

I bet they would.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.