Author Topic: 30-06 for 7mm, or any other options?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline dkale5

• Trade Count: (0)
30-06 for 7mm, or any other options?
« on: January 31, 2003, 01:40:59 PM »
:?: I have had so many folks tell me that I need a flatter shooting rifle. I am moving to Wyoming and have a Remington 700 30-06. I have been told numerous times that I need to seriously consider a 7 mag. I've even been told to get a 270. I do not currently reload, but I am wanting to get equipped and get started. So here is my question. I need a good accurate rifle for western hunting. Mostly pronghorn and deer, with an occasional Elk. What should I look for. I am wanting to get outfitted right once, and use this rifle for most of my hunting needs, (except for very large or very small critters). Thanks for your imput guys, I'm pretty new at being serious, but love to hunt!
"For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar...."

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2003, 03:33:13 PM »
I have not hunted (yet) out west but have a trip planned in Oct. for Wyoming antelope.  My brother in law is president of Frontier Bible College just NW of Cheyenne. I have asked a lot of questions here and have read everything I could get my hands on.  I have an 06 and have just ordered a 7mm.  But out to 300 yards there is not a nickels worth of difference between the 3 calibers you mentioned.  I have never been a 270 fan, not because it isnt an excellent caliber but just because the thought of having one  never blew my hair back.  You will find a very strong following on this forum for the 30-06.  I would pick the one that YOU like and let everyone else argue their personal favorites.  For trajectory tables and recoil tables look at Chuck Hawks website.  Lots and Lots of very interesting articles about many calibers.  Enjoy the West!
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 03:51:56 PM »
Having owned both a 30-06 and a 7 mag. I ask why unless you want another rifle to spend money on.  I prefer the 06 for reloading because obtaining the brass is simplier.  Normally when I hear a bolt working I reach for brass.  But those 7 mag. owners are tight with their brass.  Cost more for the factory brass, and it takes more powder to put the bullet down the range.

In my case the 7 mag came first, but I enjoyed the 06 more.  I wished I had it back.  Son-in-Law loves it.

I would take the money and buy a good reloading outfit, powder, bullets, primers, cases, and start putting some wear on the 06 barrel.  Practice at all hunting ranges will buy you more then a new 7 Mag will.

Siskiyou
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline harley

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 04:42:47 AM »
I agree, the 06 properly loaded will do anything your going to do in Wyoming!! The range of bullets available, with modern powders it's amazing what you can do. Investing the $ on reloading will open a whole new experience for you that you'll enjoy even when the seasons are over.
Ride Free-Ride Far

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 12:08:18 PM »
I've hunted all over the west using everything from .243 Win. up to .340 Weatherby Magnum and if there is anything in Wyoming that you can' kill with a .30-06 then it's got to be the best kept secret going.  My suggestion is to forget another rifle and spent your money on reloading equipment.  Not only will you save some money you'll be getting more enjoyment out of your .30-06 loading for everything from varmints to elk.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline dkale5

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2003, 02:12:26 AM »
Thanks for all the input. I guess I'm leaning toward keeping the '06 and just getting setup to reload. I don't know that much about it, but everyone I talk to says that its the only way to go. I guess I'll just invest in a new scope and rings, and a reloading setup and see where that takes me. I have heard that 7mm is harder to reload for anyway. Is there any truth to that?
 :sniper:
"For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar...."

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2003, 07:35:42 AM »
Having loaded for both I have found no real problems loading for 7 Mag vs the 06.  But I have noted the following:

Brass cost more, or a little harder to beg off others.(One thing about reloading is trying to save a few cents here and there.)

Burns 10 to 24 more powder to achieve results.

Case life seems to be shorter.

Reguires Magnum primers.

=====================Results in higher overall cost.

Now here is an excuse to buy another rifle.  I bought a .243 years ago to fight of attacking jackrabbits, coyotes, and groundhogs.  This little sub-caliber :) is plesant to shot, and requires less powder, standard primers, and cases do not seem to be a problem.  Of course I told my wife that I was spending the money to reduce ammo cost.  I am sure she believed me.  Practice with the .243 and the .22 rimfire helps tune me up for hunting season.  Then when hunting season comes around use the 06 that you have also been getting some practice with.

Siskiyou
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Big Tex

Rifle calibers
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2003, 02:36:17 PM »
Hey guys, how about spending the money on a range finder and maybe a bipod?
Gun control means hitting your target

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2003, 02:48:08 PM »
Big Tex:

I like the idea of a rangefinder.  I have been checking out bipods and feel they are a little to heavy to pack all day.  Better spent on ammo.

The Tex I worked with still carried his granddaddy's 38-40 Colt and matching 38-40 Marlin rifle.  He never indicated he needed a bipod.  The Big brought that to mind.  He was one big guy from that find State.

Siskiyou

Offline dkale5

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2003, 04:09:16 PM »
Instead of a bipod, i've seriously considered some sort of shooting stix. Maybe something like the Steady Stix II, or Safari Stix. Alot lighter, and not in the way unless you need them. I can't tell you how excited I am about getting all this set up. Lucky me, we are going to Springfield, MO. next weekend so I am going to check out some of their stuff. Maybe even come home with a scope & rings, or a reloader, who knows, half the funs in looking anyway. I will be in the market for a varmint rifle but I know I will be looking for a 223 or a 22-250. Anyway, thanks for all the input so far. Keep it coming guys!

Offline dkale5

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2003, 04:10:57 PM »
Sorry guys, we are going to Springfield but I didn't tell you where. Bass Pro has a store there. My mistake.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2003, 04:38:29 PM »
My old knees like the idea of a combination shooting, walking and snake stick.  I am not sure if a bipod would of worked for me this year.  I was on a steep slope and I would have needed 48 inche legs to hit the ground.  I shot from a sitting position.  Cross hairs were balancing all over the place, but one shot, one deer.  Luck day.

Siskiyou

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2003, 05:26:50 AM »
Just my opinion, but forget the bipod.  Useless and too heavy.  The ones I have tried (harris) have been either too short or too long for comfortable shooting.  I have used shooting sticks with pretty good success.  Another option is getting an old cross country ski pole and using it as a walking stick and shooting rest.  They are cheap, light and strong (the fiberglass ones, anyway), and tall.

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2003, 12:31:39 PM »
I make my own shooting sticks by taking aluminum tubes, 3/8" dia. - 36" long, cover them with foam rubber tape to protect the rifle and quiet the sticks.  I take a heavy rubber band to attach the three sticks together.  This way you can adjust them to whatever height you need when you need them.  I use these instead of a bi-pod while hunting, especially coyotes.  Takes to long to adjust a bi anyway.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2003, 02:35:59 PM »
What is the best way to hold shooting stix steady?  To shoot the distances that you guys do it must be possible to hold very steady.  I have only shot with stix once but it was not as steady as I thought.  Maybe I just need more practice.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Miller

Western caliber
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2003, 09:39:22 AM »
I posed thissame question on another forum and was told by the following by a guide, who makes his living doing what you are about to do.  His comment was simply, if you are comfortable with your 30-06 use it.  He said the same to me and I shoot a 6.5x55.  His advise load it with a premium bullet and venture forth.  He felt it's better to know your limits in range and recoil, than get too much gun or make a sudden switch.  Try 165 grain Nosler Partitions or the like and get after it.

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2003, 03:39:53 PM »
There is so little difference between the 7 mag and the 06 according to some reloading manuals. Get a Hornandy manual and it shows 06 has almost the exact amount of power, some loads shows more power with the 06. Plus 06 is only loaded to 50k cup.If you buy reloading supplies by bulk  a guy can really save money. Like Midwayusa.com has Remington coreloks in 500 or 1000 packs. Also patsreloading.com is good for bullets and surplus powder.  If you're hard pressed for money, buy some reloading equipment and you might never go back to factory.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2003, 04:31:26 PM »
:grin: I use my 30.06 in Wyoming all the time.It shoots plenty flat. I reload all my 06 ammo. The 7 mag is a nice round but I don't see it as an improvement. It's too similar. The money you save on 06 can be spent on more practice at long ranges. More practice makes you more effective. I use a harris bipod and like it. I use a 150 gr.bullet on deerand antelope and heavier bullets for elk.

Offline Deke

06 and Rangefinder
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2003, 01:28:55 PM »
Can't go wrong with the 06 and a rangefiinder will come in handy especially with antelope.