Author Topic: Ginseng, other roots, herbs, etc  (Read 725 times)

Offline whodowl

• Trade Count: (0)
Ginseng, other roots, herbs, etc
« on: December 23, 2004, 06:30:46 PM »
I'm kinda surprised their is no general forum on this subject.  I would expect a great many hunters, trappers, fishermen, and other sportsmen partake in the harvesting of them.  Would think there would be some dandy tales about sang, yellow root, shrooms. etc.  especially sang.  I'm wondering what areas across North America ginseng grows, how big it gets here and there, etc.  Also, curious about other roots and herbs that grow and is harvested in other parts of the country.  Just wondering.  Whodowl.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 07:30:08 PM »
While I guess there is Ginseng in WI I have never looked for it or tryed to harvest it. Got a shirt tail relation that tried to grow it ( Not the wild stuff )  but it did not pan out for him at all. Mushrooms I am afraid to pick as I know of good pickers who have made mistakes and mushrooms are not all that expensive or that hard to grow from a kit either!  IF I am going to die it is not going to be from a mushroom! Yea I have heard the tales of some that you cannot mistake and they killed a few folks in my neck of the woods. Heard about morels also and how the false ones can make you sick as well. Puffballs I normally see when they are past being edible . As far as the other herbs and stuff goes I have harvested WIld Leeks in the spring and tried fiddle back ferns a time or two. I really liked the leeks the Ferns I could pass if I had to though they were not all that bad. Choke cherry leaves and berries are supposed to be good for the stomach according to the local indians. I'll settle for black berry brandy!  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 10:40:51 PM »
Once upon a time before we changed to this Forum Software we did in fact have such a forum. No one used it so it didn't survive the move to this software two years ago.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 01:25:38 AM »
Some thoughts on collecting wild herbs and stuff.

I'm not a big fan of vegetables on my dinner plate. Meat and potatoes and maybe corn for color.

If I'm hunting or just wandering the woods, I have a hard enough time baggin' that squirrel, buck or pheasant, much less wondering which wild fauna might be used to cook it or releive my indigestion from eating to much of it.

Not against wild herbs and the like, just spend too much brain power on learning other stuff like not getting lost.

Just my ramblings on the matter.

My aunt did make a pancake syrup from choke cherries that would rock your world, maybe I should harass her a bit and get her to make some more.

Nixter

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 01:37:46 AM »
Quote from: jh45gun
I'll settle for black berry brandy!  
Dali Llama say he concur. :grin:  :grin:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 04:46:25 AM »
One of the big myths that I see daily is the people seem to have this thought that if it is "natural" it is safe. I had a patient a while back that was taking a bunch of this "all natural" stuff. Came in with severe abdominal pain. Liver enzymes were off the chart about 5X normal. I was worried about liver cancer. Ended up it was the "all natural" crap she was taking. Stopped it and the enzymes came back to normal. This stuff is not regulated, they dont tell you the side effects or interactions. Each to their own, but as for me, I stay away from it. There are a lot of claims with little or no real studies.

Offline powderman

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 06:55:07 AM »
BIG MEDICINE. What was she taking? POWDERMAN.  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline whodowl

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 07:31:34 AM »
Haven't dug any sang for about 3 years, digging around here was banned about that time due to over harvesting.  Do any of you fellers have an idea of the market value of a pound of wild sang?  It was around $400 a few years back.  Thank you, and Merry Chistmas to you all. :D

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 09:15:24 AM »
Powderman,
Off the top of my head I cant remember, it was one of those wonder pills that they sell at GNC. I also had some kid in his early 20s that was taking that muscle in a can stuff and was having chest pains, turns out he has having heart arrhythia's because of it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 11:00:07 AM »
Quote from: whodowl
Do any of you fellers have an idea of the market value of a pound of wild sang?  
Dali Llama say he not know such value, but do know that 120 pounds of wild THANG be worth quite a bit!!! :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Offline whodowl

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 11:42:48 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
Dali Llama say he not know such value, but do know that 120 pounds of wild THANG be worth quite a bit!!! :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

heh heh, reckon so 8)  8)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 12:20:21 PM »

Especially if it come in something like 36-24-36 package, say Dali Llama! :grin:  :grin:

Offline whodowl

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 12:49:08 PM »

Especially if it come in something like 36-24-36 package, say Dali Llama! :grin:  :grin:

heh heh, didn't figure you were talkin' about 120 lbs of plant matter.  :)  :)

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2004, 01:14:43 PM »

:)  :)  :)  I have ran into a few females that plant matter would give them a run for the money as far as brains went!
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 02:48:08 PM »
Quote from: jh45gun

:)  :)  :)  I have ran into a few females that plant matter would give them a run for the money as far as brains went!
That do happen occasionally, say Dali Llama. :(