Author Topic: Worked out new SAECO mold today.  (Read 462 times)

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Worked out new SAECO mold today.
« on: December 24, 2004, 01:37:34 PM »
I cast up a couple hundred 250 gr., 45 cal. SWC bullets from my new SAECO mold today (two cavity).  The bullets look just fine so far but I did notice that I had to use about 60 degrees more heat to get them to fill out good.  It took the LONGEST time to get that mold to heat up.  Does anybody know if this is characteristic of SAECO molds in general?  If you start thinking you may want to get a SAECO mold be sure and buy SAECO handles because the brand X handles won't fit.  Well, hopefully I'll get these bullets converted into cartridges tonight and get to the range on Sunday to test'm out in my brand spank'n new Ruger Bird's Head Vaquero.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Saeco Molds
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 05:04:18 PM »
Hello Dusty,

I use a bunch of Saeco Molds.  It is odd, but some of the molds heat up faster than another of the same caliber.  I have used an electric hot plate to pre-heat my molds, but you can get them too hot as well.  You can also, put the mold on the heated rim of the casting pot.

I'll tell you what though,  I like the Saeco Molds best of all I have tried.  I have Hensley & Gibbs, Lymans, RCBS, LBTs and a Lee.  I have moved to all Saeco molds.

One of the things I like about the Saeco is the Handles.  They are sturdy and substantial.

Harold

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 04:43:02 AM »
I use a couple of Saeco Moulds and have noticed nothing different about them other than one California Saeco mould I bought new. That mould would hardly cast a good bullet. The pour holes in the sprue plate where too small IMHO. I tried using it in rotation with my other 4 cavity moulds and it simply didn't work. That mould required something the Lyman and Ballisti Cast's didn't. Finally sold it as it didn't produce the bullet I was told it would.

I have nothing but good to say of the Redding/Saeco moulds I've tried.
Joshua 1:9

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 06:18:53 AM »
Harold, right you are about them SAECO handles.  I noticed that the hardware at the crossing was more substantial then the brand X.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 11:22:32 AM »
LAH

Was that California Saeco mold one of the "highly touted" original Saeco molds from the original company?

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 11:54:42 AM »
Quote from: rbwillnj
LAH

Was that California Saeco mold one of the "highly touted" original Saeco molds from the original company?

Yes it was, with the gunstock handles even.
Joshua 1:9