Author Topic: Tasco 6-24X42 Target/Varmint  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Tasco 6-24X42 Target/Varmint
« on: December 27, 2004, 06:22:25 AM »
I realize that Tasco has gone out of business, but I wanted a hi-mag scope for my Encore 204 Ruger!

I think I got a pretty good deal on this, $85.00 (new-in-the-box) for the scope and the total cost of the base, rings, and scope, with mounting and bore sighting included was $129.00.

This scope has Mil-Dots on the reticle and an Adjustable Objective!  I understand the AO pretty well, but anyone got an easy method for the use of the Mil-Dots?

Replies appreciated!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 07:41:10 AM »
The original Tasco is out of business, the current Tasco is owned by Bushnell Peformance Optics and the warranty of the product should state so. If the product is the old or intermediate Tasco, there is no warranty. Buyer beware.... :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Chuck White

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 09:24:49 AM »
quickdtoo
Your reply got my curiosity going, so I had to check the warranty card!
On the bottom of the warranty registration card it says "Copyright 2002 BPO All Rights Reserved"!  I'm assuming that BPO = Bushnell Performance Optics and therefore the scope IS covered by warranty!
Thanks for the info!

I'm still curious about the "mil dots" on the reticle!
Probably the easiest way is to make a copy of the reticle description on a 3x5 card and tape it to the side of the butt stock for quick reference!

Thanks again;
Chuck White
just get good with it!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 10:33:20 AM »
Chuck, I have the same scope,  the Mil-dot instructions should be in the scope packaging and Tasco has them at their web site, but the link is down at this time. There should be a sheet included with the scope that has that info on it, the 6-24x42 Target/Varmint mil-dot scaling is accurate at 10x only.  If you don't have that sheet, and can't get the link to work below, PM me and I'll scan my copy for you. I haven't used the scope so I can't really comment on it for you other than mine has a distinct yellow hue to the image, other than that it is clear and has fair resolution.

http://tasco.com/riflescopes/target_varmint_var624x42m.shtml

Tim

EDIT: Here's a Mil-dot explanation that may help...
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/MilDot_MOA.asp

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 04:02:37 AM »
I have one of those scopes and it works great for what I do with it. I used it on a 270 to shoot prairie dogs with. I could crank it up to about 18x  before it got too blurry and dim and foggy. Up to about 15x it's quite a good scope.  The problem with low cost scopes is that the innards may fail at any time because of the adhesives and other materials used. If you can live with that and you got a good one, it should be a good scope for you.
Safety first

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 07:55:59 AM »
I paid about $76 for my Target/Varmint 6-24x42 scope and that was shipped to my door for that price...I mounted it on my H&R1871 Ultra Varmint 223 and have yet to shoot it...I keep meaning to take it out but it seems like something always pops up.  Well, now that whitetail season is over maybe I can get this thing to the range and see what it can do.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline smokey66

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 02:22:46 AM »
i also aquired one of these scopes a couple years ago. i mounted it on my mini-14. it was okay until i turned up the magnification, then it was like trying to look through an ice cube. i didn't keep it long....

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 08:12:56 PM »
Here's another Mil-dot tutorial...

http://www.swfa.biz/mildot2.asp

Offline Chuck White

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 06:53:33 AM »
quickdtoo;
Thanks for the help!  I think now, I'll just have to decypher all the info!
Chuck White
just get good with it!

Offline farmerboyMT

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 01:10:17 PM »
I've not had much use for exact science of the mildot, but I've found its great for hold over/under and on the fly windadge adjustments.  For example mine's zeroed at 200yards so at 100 yards I need to put the target right between the first and second dot above the cross hair.  Wind is easy enough you just take a shot and then figure out where the bullet landed left to right.  After a while you get the hang of it and don't that first shot.  I've found that on my BSA each horiziontal dot corresponds to about 7 or 8 mph of wind.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 03:04:56 AM »
I wonder, if this scope really has poor performance at the higher magnifications (like 15x or so like some you guys say), I wonder why they would manufacture the scope to go up to 24x? :?   The only thing I can think of is marketing, but that's not good business in the long run.

Zachary

Offline Mike White

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 08:20:54 AM »
Sorry to bring up an old topic but I wanted to comment on the fuzziness at higher magnifications. I recently bought this scope and attached it to my 6mm. I took it to the range and put in on the highest magnification and experienced the blurriness. But, if you set the range on the front of the scope it clears right up. At least that was my experience...  8)
USAF Active Duty

My Rifles
Remington Model 600 in 6mm Remington
Remington Model 700P in .308 Winchester
Remington Model 788 in .22-.250